Maple Breakfast Sausage Link General Questions

• I am planning on making some Maple Breakfast Sausage Links next weekend and have a few questions:

I read some of the reviews for the Maple Breakfast Sausage that said that there was maple flavoring but that it was not very pronounced and also not very sweet. I would like a little bit of sweetness and a good maple flavor to my sausage. So, what would you recommend and how much extra ingredients for an added maple flavor/sweetener? Maple Syrup? Brown Sugar? If so how much? I understand that this is a subjective question, so just general recommended amounts are all that I am looking for.

Are there any other optional ingredients that you would suggest?

What is the recommended casing and size for traditional breakfast sausage links? It appears that the 21MM Fresh Collagen casings are the recommended casings for a traditional breakfast sausage link? Are these the right ones?

https://www.waltonsinc.com/21mm-fresh-collagen-casings

Thanks,

NDKoze

• Walton's Employee

@NDKoze Yes, 21mm fresh would be the best casing to use for a traditional breakfast sausage. Maple is usually experienced more as a scent than a taste so you will sometimes have an issue where the taste is not as strong as you would wish. Because you want the maple to stand out as much as possible I would not use brown sugar as it has a flavor that will counteract the maple a little. I think your best bet is to add maple syrup or maple sugar. As for usage yes it is subjective so I would try a smaller than 25 lb batch for your first try. I’d begin using 2.5 oz of maple syrup for 5 lb of meat and see where you can go from there. If that ups the maple but you still want more sweetness I would look at adding some dextrose or regular sugar. Good luck and let us know if you need anything else!

• Thanks for the reply. I will give it a shot next weekend and respond with my results. :)

• @Jonathon Does Excalibur make a seasoning for maple breakfast sausage?

• @Bacon-Acres-Farm

Yes they do. It is hyperlinked in my original post.

I am going to be making my first batch tomorrow night. So hopefully it turns out well.

I have never used this recipe before, but have tried it from a local butcher who uses Excalibur seasonings and it was awesome!

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.