how to make ground turkey meat snack sticks

• I would like to make some Turkey or chicken meat snack sticks. would the process be the same as making red meat snack sticks, do you have any suggestions? thanks

• Admin

@Richard-Russell
    General process would be the same. Same instructions, same steps, and same additives.
    It is a different protein, so you will probably develop slight differences over time to perfect your process.
    One of the big and key differences is the lower fat content seen in poultry products, and that can require a few small changes in your process. That lower fat is going to make it harder to make a moist and juicy final product. I would recommend to use as much fat as you can in a poultry meat snack. If you use thigh meat and end up with an approximately 10% fat ratio that could be moister than a 1-2% fat chicken breast. With low fat, I find that making sure you have really good protein extraction (very sticky meat) will help hold everything together and keep it from being crumbly after cooking. I also find that using a bit more water, and a bit more binder than normal is helpful. Lastly, anytime I’m making a poultry sausage or meat snack, I always keep meat extremely cold because otherwise the low density of the chicken meat and extra water makes the product almost “soupy” and really hard to work with and stuff into a casing without having it flatten out.

This is at least my basic/initial suggestions for making chicken meat snacks.

If you want specifics on a certain area, or have any other questions, let me know!

• @richard-russell What did you do? I am looking at making some snak stixs with turkey or chicken breast. Was wondering how yours turned out.
    Thanks

• Walton's Employee

@harpo79 One of the most important things to remember when making a cured sausage like product out of chicken or turkey is fat content. If you are using a very lean meat block you need to either add pork fat to get your fat % up to around 20% or you need to add a binder like the Carrot Fiber and extra water.

I’d recommend you add a little bit of cold phosphate as well, I made poultry bratwurst recently and used both carrot fiber and cold phosphate and they came out great, check out the video here https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/415/how-to-make-a-juicy-homemade-turkey-bratwurst. The only difference for you will be that you will need to mix until you have protein extraction and you will need to add cure.

Like Austin said in a previous post make sure you are keeping everything very cold while you are processing it. That will make your snack sticks better in the end and easier to work with!

Recent Posts

• B

Hey folks,

New to the forum and excited to learn! Looking to smoke my first batch of summers on my smoker. I noticed they have strings for hanging, but my smoker is set up more like a traditional barrel grill.

Questions: If I lay my summers on the grate of the smoker, will the casings burst/burn?

Thanks in advance!

read more
  • D

The article does not cover when to cold smoke a cured ham. I have 16 wild hog hams in brine as of last night. I need to know at what point do I put them in the smoke house for this phase of the process.

read more
  • @woodduck
    A cure should be used. We’ve updated the recipe above to reflect that.
    @Jonathon was probably just sleeping when he posted this one… haha!

For this version of Landjaeger, we did actually cook it. It could be made differently, but for our entry level MeatgisticsU course, it’s easier and safer to give instructions on doing a proper thermal processing. (Someday we will have to try to get to doing a completely traditional dry cured version.)

Smoked Meat Stabilizer and Sodium Erythorbate are similar to each other, but definitely not a replacement for a real cure, like Sure Cure. They simply act as cure accelerators, speeding up the conversion of nitrite in sausage during thermal processing. Using an accelerator (like one of these, or Encapsulated Citric Acid) allows you to skip the holding stage after stuffing and go straight into the smokehouse.

read more
  • W

In the ‘Meat Block’ you don’t list using a cure. The packet of Landjaeger seasoning I purchased came with a packet of Cure.

As this is a sausage that is ment to be consumed without cooking shouldn’t a cure be used. I know you put in the wrap up about using Smoked Meat Stabilizer or Sodium Erythorbate are they equivalent to using a true cure.

read more
  • @tswohl6
    You shouldn’t have a noticeable difference in stuffing based upon the difference of using a grinder or a bowl chopper.
    Your biggest help in making stuffing easier will be using plenty of water. At least 1 quart per 25 lb meat block, but up to 2 quarts is even better. And, your lean to fat ratio will make a difference. Leaner meat will be harder to stuff while a higher fat content will make things easier. Keep the meat as cold as possible too and that will help make things a little easier to stuff as well.

read more
  • I would continue to use the grinder and just add a little more water to the mixture and make sure you lube the gasket and you should be good to go. Although you could definitely use the Buffalo chopper and just add ice instead of straight water and that should help.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.