• Team Blue

How’s everyone doing??

I need some help with my smoker. I tried to use my new smoker last weekend and it turns out disastrous (LOL). Since Indonesia is so far away from US and I cant find any supplier to ship electric smoker to Indonesia (unless im willing to pay 500 bucks for shipping alone), I bought one locally made. I post the smoker picture in this thread as well 1618900224576.jpg 1618897416668.jpg

Ok now the problems :

1. As you can see the the box for wood chips is just above the heat source. I put the wood chips directly without soaking or spraying the wood chips. The first time i add the chips, it caught on fire. So i tried to use aluminium foil. Again, the aluminium foil and the chips caught on fire, even the smoke push the wood chips vents out to release inside pressure. Should i use wood chips boxes? Its hard to find wood pellet in Indonesia and importing from US cause the cost to be so inflated. So i think i wont use wood pellet but stick to wood chips that are readily available.

2. Even more so the internal temperature (although they state have thermostat) only off at 200F and come back on again at 130F (does this even called thermostat). So its hard for me to control temperature. Any tips on controlling temperature?

3. the top and bottom rack can have 50F difference so I got stressed out and called the manufacturer but they never responded to my claims. I figured I can try to rotate the racks but i do believe the meat is not exactly even either.

4. The meat result comes out black and have acidic aftertaste. Is this cause the smoke is too much? I also read and watch some explanations that state I shouldnt add smoke when the meat is still wet, then should I use dehydrator first then add to smoker?

I got stressed out because the manufacturer doesnt want to help in any way. Should have brought from Masterbuilt with extra bucks but actually working find :(

Please help me with this, I am so overwhelm cause I keep wanting good smoker and what I got is far from what I dream Thx!

• Traeger

1. just a thought but soaking the chips so they smolder and smoke, instead of burning?
    2. increased moisture may help stabilize the temp
    3. an internal fan
    4. dry the meat by running without the chips for an hour or so at 130 (prop the door open perhaps), then add the wet chips
  • Regular Contributors

alanburkholder said in Need Help on Smoker:

1. just a thought but soaking the chips so they smolder and smoke, instead of burning?
    2. increased moisture may help stabilize the temp
    3. an internal fan
    4. dry the meat by running without the chips for an hour or so at 130 (prop the door open perhaps), then add the wet chips

I would add, it does not sound like your temperature controls are holding the temperature close to the setpoint. The wide temperature fluctuations could contribute to the the chips burning too quickly instead of smoldering as they should.
    I would agree with the OP, it sounds like the analog controls are not functioning properly.
    If the analog controls are not repairable, someone with the technical skills could probably replace them with a digital temperature controller without too much cost or effort.

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

how that you place the dampers will control the temp also

• Team Blue

Thank you so much for the tips!

alanburkholder

1. instead of soaking, i spray the wood chips before going in, that way i thought the chips wouldnt burn but wont produce too much smoke.
    2. I will try using the automotive sponge like Jonathon tried before
    3. what kind of internal fan can you recommend? I understand that since the heat source below is heated, temperature raise quickly although i tried to make it as low heat as possible.
    4. I will try this thank you!

processhead True that! I saw the digital temperature control that may help but again im not sure in Indonesia made. What do you mean by OP? I will try to find a way to fix the analogue or otherwise change it to digital control

craigrice I have put the dampers close before the meat comes in. But after the meat comes in and wet chips added, i always put the dampers wide open. Then again, I saw the dampers are way too small so i am not sure if that makes such a big difference whether it open or close

Thank you so much once again.

• Team Blue

Seanlee Hardy what do you guys think of wood chips box? Will they make difference if i use them instead of wood chips tray?

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.