• After making the Walton’s Cotto Salami and H Summer Sausage, my Hungarian in-laws are sure that I can reproduce their favorite Hungarian Szegedi.
    I am planning on using the Summer Sausage smoking and cooking method (final cook to 160 F).
    So far my recipe is:
    25 lb. meat block
    1 cup Kosher salt
    1/3 cup sugar
    3/4 cup minced garlic
    2/3 cup black pepper
    4 1/4 cup sweet paprika
    1/3 cup hot paprika
    1 1/2 quart water
    1 oz. package Sure Cure
    My questions are:
    Is there enough salt in the recipe to be safe?
    Is the 1 oz. Sure Cure the right amount?
    Should I use carrot fiber?
    Should I use the Encapsulated Citric Acid?
    Is there a Walton’s spice unit that I could start with and just add the paprika? Maybe the mild W Summer?
    Your input would be greatly appreciated

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Salt - That’s certainly enough to be safe. In fact, that looks like a lot to me. I put 2 tablespoons of salt in my 10 lb. batches of similar sausage, and I got that from Kutas. It’s working out pretty nicely. I looked up Kutas’s recipe for “Smoked Hungarian Paprika Sausage,” and he puts 2/3 cup in a 25 lb. batch.

I’d stick with the Sure Gel for that sausage, rather than carrot fiber. Carrot fiber is fine for fresh sausage, but you want Sure Gel for cured sausages unless someone has a dairy issue.

Someone else will need to comment about the mixes on the shelf. You have a nice looking recipe there and a simple enough one to pull together. You ought to just give it a swing!

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

20210421_160126.jpg

Here’s that Kutas recipe, by the way, just for reference. Personally, I love the higher garlic and paprika you have in yours. The stuff I’ve tried is dripping with both.

You might want to just try out smaller, pilot batches (5 lbs. or even less) just to dial in that recipe. You just have to do a little arithmetic to scale it all down.

Also, whether you use ECA is up to you. I don’t think this particular sausage calls for it, and it might even be out of place. However, if you like that tang (or your in-laws want it), go for it. It can only be a small mistake.

• Regular Contributors

I was thinking the same thing about the salt level being on the high side in your recipe. The pepper and other seasoning are also up there, but may be in-line for that style of sausage.
    Totally agree that a pilot batch is worth your effort before going with a full 25 lbs.

• What’s the % of salt by weight?

• processhead I agree! Do a 5 lb test batch first and tune it in.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size