Converting Fresh Pork Sausage Recipe to Chicken

• I’ve made British bangers using:

1.4 kg (3 lbs) lean pork shoulder
    0.3 kg (3/4 lb) pork fat
    170g (0.4 lb) rusk (kind of like bread crumbs, only better)
    2 cups water
    spices

How can I convert this to chicken? I don’t mind using chicken thighs.

Some of you use Walton’s carrot fiber in your chicken sausages. I’m not sure that would be any better than the rusk, which will hold 2 to 3 times its weight in water. * But how to replace the pork fat? *

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

Frankly, I’d say to make a batch with 1.7 kg chicken thighs (go ahead and include the skin), and just see how that goes. The chicken sausage I’ve made with thighs has come out fine with no additional fat. Half the batch, if you like, as something of a pilot batch. Even if you went with someone else’s recipe, I wouldn’t be surprised if you found yourself tweaking to your tastes.

I agree that you just ought to go with the rusk instead of carrot fiber. They serve the same purpose, but I don’t see carrot fiber in a proper banger!

That amount of water looks like quite a bit. I assume that’s been working fine for you, though.

• Very helpful, TexLaw. Many thanks!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size