• Planning on making some hot links sausage tomorrow, I don’t have ECA and dont have the time to hold overnight. My question is should I skip the cure all together then? What is the reason for holding overnight before stuffing when cure is used?
    Thanks guys

• Regular Contributors

GODUCKS said in SURE CURE question:

Planning on making some hot links sausage tomorrow, I don’t have ECA and dont have the time to hold overnight. My question is should I skip the cure all together then? What is the reason for holding overnight before stuffing when cure is used?
    Thanks guys

Do not skip the cure if you are planning to smoke the links.

Holding overnight ensures the the product is thoroughly cured prior to thermal processing.

Others suggest the cure acts fast enough so that it is ok to grind, mix in cure/seasonings, stuff and smoke the same day. I have done it both ways with good success.

https://barbecuebible.com/2014/08/26/guide-nitrites-prague-powder-curing-salts/

• processhead

I will be smoking on a Traeger so the lowest I can get is 180 degrees and so therefore I can’t do the typical low n slow temps in smoking. I was hoping to stuff then smoke a few of them to eat tomorrow at our BBQ, most of them will be put in the freezer however. I wanted to make sure it is okay to stuff n smoke with the cure, wasn’t sure what the reason is behind holding overnight without ECA.

• Regular Contributors

If you plan on smoking/cooking at high temperature, then you can either add the cure or skip it. The cure will change the flavor and texture. Maybe try half with and half without and compare the result.

• I would leave out the cure and skip smoking the ones you want to eat at the bbq. Grill them as a fresh sausage like you would brats at the bbq. The others you could cure, smoke and freeze or leave out the cure and just freeze. Thaw and grill as you want to eat them. I have made hot links both ways. I prefer to make them as fresh vs cure and smoke.

I don’t like the tang of ECA, I use smoked meat stabilizer instead if I want to go strait to the smoker.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

GODUCKS I agree with both of them, skip the cure on the ones you need to be ready for the BBQ and then smoke the rest. Sort of a pain to split the batch but it is your best bet.

• Team Orange PK100 Sous Vide Power User

If you wanted to cure them, there are other cure accelerators that don’t affect the flavor as much as ECA. Ascorbic acid @1/4 tsp per 5 lbs. meat does the trick without significantly affecting flavor.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.