Mexi-chorizo Patties and Bulk Sausage

• Regular Contributors

I was curious to try the Mexi-chorizo seasoning on the recommendation of others here in the community. https://www.waltonsinc.com/mexi-chorizo-sausage-seasoning

My meat block was 50/25/25 venison, pork butt, pork fat. Ground it though 3/8 inch and 3/16 inch plate and mixed in the seasoning after the first grind.

Originally the plan was to make a 5 lb test batch, but that quickly turned into a 15 lb batch after I fried up a test patty. Yum! Very good flavor with nice complexity and residual heat.

10 lbs will be patties and 5 lbs as 1 lb bulk packs. I can see this getting used as taco meat or as addition for other southwestern dishes. And of course as a breakfast sausage.

20210519_081744.jpg
    20210519_083313.jpg
    20210519_083809.jpg
    20210519_100519.jpg
    20210519_103527.jpg

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

processhead
    Very nice. Not tried that one yet.

• Crumble it up and fry until done then stir in some eggs and cook until the eggs are done, put that in a hot tortilla add some Tabasco and now you are eating.

• Cast Iron Canning

You guys make this stuff look so easy, and so good. I gotta get a grinder and a stuffer, that’s all there is to it.

• Regular Contributors

Jonesy said in Mexi-chorizo Patties and Bulk Sausage:

You guys make this stuff look so easy, and so good. I gotta get a grinder and a stuffer, that’s all there is to it.

It is easy.
    Yes, you do! :grin: :grin:

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

Jonesy In about a month, I might have a good beginner’s stuffer and grinder available you can have. I’ll keep you updated.

• Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Team Blue Power User

processhead that sounds like one of my next purchases. Good looking batch

• Cast Iron Canning

Chef That would be great, chef. I’m in Ohio. I’ve a brother in Houston. Maybe we’ll figure this out so I can drive down to visit him this summer, and meet you at the same time!

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

Jonesy get the best you can budget for or better and you will not disappoint your self and be frustrated

• Jonesy be forewarned it’s a very addictive, fun, and a very tasty hobby, so now you will have no excuse. :grin:

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

Jonesy It is addictive. You and I are both trying to become healthy. It is possible to do so with no process food, controlled fat content, and even the addition of vegetables. I recently got the Marianski’s book “The Art of Making Vegetarian Sausages”. Low fat and reduced calories.

It is possible to both eat healthy and have a lot of fun making recipes relevant to this community.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

processhead I liked the seasoning blend but I prefer a bit more heat. Cased mine up in hog casings in 1/4lb links. I have a green chorizo recipe that I am going to have to try in the near future.

• YooperDog said in Mexi-chorizo Patties and Bulk Sausage:

green chorizo recipe

Ok you have my curiosity peaked now “green chorizo” please share.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

It is Hank Shaw’s recipe.

Green Chorizo
    This recipe is meant for regular pork, but you can make it with most meats – just make sure you have between 20 and 35 percent fat by weight. If you can’t find a cool green powder like the nettle powder, you can add a little green food coloring. It makes about 5 pounds of sausage, and can be scaled up.
    Prep Time
    1 hr 30 mins
    Cook Time
    15 mins
    Total Time
    1 hr 45 mins
    Course: Cured MeatCuisine: Mexican Servings: 20 links Calories: 109kcal Author: Hank Shaw
    Ingredients
    ▢5 pounds fatty pork shoulder
    ▢36 grams kosher salt, about 2 level tablespoons
    ▢1 cup roasted, stemmed, seeded and chopped green chiles (Hatch, Anaheim, poblano)
    ▢1 cup chopped cilantro

▢1 serrano chile, chopped
    ▢5 cloves garlic, chopped
    ▢1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican if possible
    ▢1 teaspoon ground cumin
    ▢1 teaspoon ground coriander
    ▢1 tablespoon minced fresh epazote (optional)
    ▢1/2 cup nettle/kelp/spinach powder (optional)
    ▢1 tablespoon C-Bind carrot fiber (optional)
    ▢1/4 cup lime juice
    ▢1/2 cup ice water
    ▢hog casings
    Get IngredientsPowered by Chicory
    Instructions
    Cut the pork shoulder into chunks that will fit in your grinder. Mix with the salt and put in a closed container in the refrigerator overnight. Doing this helps develop myosin in the meat, which helps your sausage bind to itself.
    The next day, put all your grinding equipment in the fridge, and the blade and a 6.5 mm (or medium) die in the freezer. Take out about 15 feet of hog casings and flush them with warm water, checking for leaks. Set the casings aside in a bowl of warm water.
    Put the roasted green chiles, cilantro, serrano chile, and the garlic cloves in a food processor and buzz until you have a fine mix, almost a paste. Mix that in a bowl with the oregano, cumin, and coriander. Put it in the fridge.
    Grind your meat through the grinder once or twice. Once if it’s decent pork shoulder, twice if you are using gnarly bits. Set the ground meat in the freezer while you clean up the grinder and set up your sausage stuffer.
    In a large bowl, mix the meat, the chile mixture, the nettle or spinach powder, if you are using it, as well as the carrot fiber, lime juice and ice water. I do this with my (very clean) hands for about 90 seconds, until I can’t stand it any longer; your hands should ache with cold while you are mixing. You want the entire 5-pound batch to stick to itself in a messy, sticky ball when you pick it up.
    Put the loose sausage in a stuffer if you are making links, or make patties if you want it loose. To make links, thread a casing onto the stuffer tube and leave about 3 inches of casing at the end. Fill the entire length of casing fully but not too tightly. Repeat until you have filled all your casings.
    To make links, starting from one end of the coil, pinch off about a 6-inch link at the end with one hand, then another by using your other hand. Roll the second link away from you about 5 times to form the link. Compress the end link with your hands and tie it off. Now move down the coil and pinch off two more links. This time you want to roll the link farthest from the end of the coil towards you about 5 times. Continue this with all the coils. Tie off the final link on the other side of the coil. Forming links this way keeps them from unraveling too easily.
    Use a clean needle or sausage pricker to piece the casing where there are air pockets. Gently compress each link to push out the air. Let your links hang for at least 1 hour on a drying rack, or whatever you can rig up. Ideally you’d let them hang overnight in a refrigerator, but even an hour’s worth of room temperature air will help the sausages bloom and fill their casings.
    Regardless, store your chorizo overnight before vac sealing and freezing. They will keep in the fridge a week or so.

• YooperDog outstanding, thank you for the recipe the epazote has me sold. I make a pork dish with epazote and my whole office eats it like they are starving.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Traeger Canning

YooperDog Epazote is virtually an unheard of herb in this country. Living in Colorado and having Hispanic friends that have introduced it to my wife and my self has been fantastic. We use it in Pozole, Green Chile and just a touch in our Enchilada sauces. It adds a subtle flavor that is difficult to describe and it not an overwhelming taste that cumin can some times give. We buy it in dried leaf form and then either crumble or shred in a spice grinder to a powder, much like Gumbo File’ (sassafras powder). It’s not expensive and I recommend people to try it. It is carried in many grocery stores in the Mexican food/spice/herb section.

• Sous Vide Canning PK100 Team Blue Power User

Oh Yeah! - One of my favorites. Absolutely love Chorizo.

Bob Stehlik mrobisr I have been sitting on this one for a bit. No epazote up here, needed to get to a big metro area that have it in their stores. It is on my to do list along with Canadian bacon, Weiss wurst and breakfast this month. Running out of time.

• YooperDog I get my epazote through Amazon and have some kelp ordered that is scheduled for Monday delivery, so hopefully Saturday 29th I will be making some green and regular chorizo. I will let you know how it turns out.

Edit: I have 2 loin roast in the fridge curing now, one for Canadian bacon and the other for ham loin.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Traeger Canning

YooperDog I picked up a marked down pork loin last week and also received my Blue Ribbon Maple Cure and Bacon Taste booster last week as well. I plan on doing a Canadian Bacon in the next week or two. As far as Epazote goes, Penzey’s in Milwaukee should carry that. If not try Menard’s they carry everything ! ( I say jokingly). Weisswurst sounds good I always pick some up from Usinger’s every time I’m back in the Milwaukee area. In my opinion Usinger’s make a pretty good product for being a commercial operation.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.