How To Make Juicier Chicken Brats - Recipe

• Walton's Employee

How To Make Juicier Chicken Brats?

Walton's and Meatgistics demonstrates what can be done to make a chicken brat that is Juicy like a pork Brat! Step by step process from grinding, mixing, seasoning, meat binders, and casings.

Meat Hacks & Recipe

How Do I Make a Juicy Version of a Chicken Bratwurst?
    A while ago we showed you guys how to make chicken bratwursts. I love chicken brats and any time anyone here wants to make them I always want to be involved but the last few times we have made them we found ourselves wondering if there was a way to make them juicer without adding fat. I had about 4 lb of chicken breast sitting in my freezer so I decided to see if I could figure out a way to use more carrot fiber and water to help give the brat some extra juiciness. It turns out you can add up to 4% of carrot fiber before you can really taste it, so I am adding every bit of 4% making it 2.56 oz. A 4 oz bag of carrot fiber is enough for 25 lb so….that makes me slightly worried but hey, nothing ventured nothing gained right? We are going to use Excalibur’s CheeseBurger Cheddarwurst seasoning and our brand new Ghost Pepper Hi temp cheese and let me tell you that stuff is not to be taken lightly, it is extremely hot but it has a great flavor.

So normally when I am doing chicken I grind through a 3/16th plate once but this time I am going to basically try to turn the chicken into goup so I am going 3/16th for first grind and then twice more through a 1/8th plate to really break this down. If I need it I might even do another grind, basically I want to emulsify it. I am going to use the Weston #12 butcher series grinder for this.

Next I am going to mix in the seasoning , the water and the carrot fiber. Even though I am still calling this a bratwurst I am going for protein extraction here. I want the finished consistency of this to be almost similar to a hot dog. The reasoning behind this is I want as much surface area of the chicken as possible exposed to bind to water. Think of a piece of wood that is 1 ft x 1 ft, poor a pint of water on that and see how much it absorbs, now toss that board in a chipper and make sawdust out of it and poor the pint of water over it, it will suck it all up. The same basic effect is what we are hoping for here. With such a small amount of product I am going to try to use the Weston 20 lb meat mixer but I might have to finish this by hand so I have a clean meat pan here in case I need to do that.

Next we are going to stuff these into cellulose casings and smoke them. The stuffing process is going to remain the same, it might just be a little messier than normal. I am using the waltons 7 lb stuffer and as I am stuffing and cranking myself I am being very careful not to overfill the casings.

I am going to tie these off individually, since I only have a few pounds I am going to do this by hand instead of using the Walton’s sausage linker.

The smoking process however is going to be a little different we can’t simply cook these. They need to be very carefully stepped up in temperature so we don’t end up with a bunch of split casings and droopy product. Remember we are adding extra carrot fiber and water to try to make it juicier.

We are going to start out for an half hour at 120 with no smoke, then add smoke and cook them at 130 for a half hour, then 140 for a half hour, then a 150 for a half hour and finally at 200 until the internal temperature is 165. We are using the Grilleye Bluetooth Thermometer to monitor the internal temp of the brats.

After taking them out of the smoker and peeling them from the casings I found that adding extra carrot fiber and water plus almost emulsifying the meat really did help the chicken retain more moisture so we are calling this one a success but we are also going to try again and next time we are going to use Cold Phosphate to see if we can’t make them even juicier!

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat! Thanks for watching Meatgistics. I’m Jonathon with WaltonTV and I’ll see you guys next time!

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sausage Stuffers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Meat Mixers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Meat Grinders

Shop waltonsinc.com for Cellulose Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Ghost Pepper Hi-Temp Cheese

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sausage & Jerky Seasoning

Subscribe to WaltonsTV on YouTube

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.