• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

I was responding to this post (https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/3924/beautiful-day-to-make-some-blue-ribbon-brats-tubed-casing-question/15) with the below answer and it got me thinking, am I being overly dramatic about stuff going on right now? For those of you who listen to the podcast, do I bring it up too much? Cause 'every time I talk to people not named Austin or people who work with me about shortages and what not they look at me like I am crazy. So, my question is, has stuff like this always happened and I am just paying attention for the first time? Just wondering if other people see the same thing or if I have just been looking at it too much and I am now obsessed and see it everywhere!

I went to the store yesterday and it was “on sale” for 1.79. Also, i was at Casey’s (gas station pizza place in KS) and they had probably 70% of their drink shelves unstocked. When I asked the lady if it was workers or stock that was causing that she said “stock, we can’t get anything right now” so I really hope everyone has been squirreling a little food away so we can continue to make sausage. I have a case of pork butts at work and a freezer full of cured and or frozen meat at my house. Am I overly nervous about this?

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Power User

Jonathon It’s all artificial. I talked to a logging contractor the other day about timber, he was telling me the mills are cutting all the lumber the suppliers want. The suppliers are holding back ordering more lumber to drive the prices up due to demand. He also told they are still exporting timber like it’s going out of style. The JBS (Swift) day shutdown was another attempt at playing the market saying the highjacking of their computer system created a problem which was total B/S. What did they do before they had computers, their phones still worked and butchers don’t rely on computers to cut meat, same with inflated meat prices. Don’t get me on my soapbox about market manipulation and businesses driving market conditions through corrupt practices.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Jonathon It’s not hoarding when you are fully stocked 100% of the time. Being an Eagle Scout I live by the motto “Be Prepared”. I haven’t really seen prices shoot up much here at the grocery stores, but they have creeped up a little bit. Being in the hear of cattle processing country, that probably insulates me somewhat from some of the price swings with beef. I haven’t seen chicken spike much, you can still catch deals around and get legs and thighs for 80 cents or so a pound, and whole birds for a $1 pound. Brisket has been noticeably higher for the most part, think that probably has more with it being its summer, and everyone is BBQ, plus more people getting into smoking meats themselves than any shortages. Pork has remained pretty steady, and I can still find 99 cent pork butts on sale pretty often. I think the shortages come into effect when people who don’t normally stay fully stocked run out and get overstocked because someone in the media is out telling them there are going to be shortages, which then multiplies the problem 10 fold. If you want to look at something other than food, lets look at ammo, is there a shortage? No. The problem is people are hoarding 10’s of thousands for themselves, and are buying up more anytime it hits the shelfs. This is hurting your casual shooter who just wants to go out and shoot a couple of boxes of ammo every now and then, because they aren’t every able to find any ammo because the people buying it up are generally looped into when it is going to be hitting the shelves or are having people hold it back from them (for a little cash under the table). Ammo production is being ramped up, but if people continue to buy it like there won’t ever be anymore the problem will never fix it’s self. Does a guy really need 10K plus rounds of 5.56, .45, or 9MM?

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

Jonathon These are different times to say the least. I buy from wholesale suppliers as well as local suppliers. There are items that are getting difficult to get. There are items that have doubled in cost in just the last month. Bidding a catering for large groups of people is becoming more and more a c**p shoot. Want to be fair to clients, and also want to cover expenses.

Tex_77 is correct. Stay stocked. Be prepared. Things are volatile and can change rapidly. I try to keep about a months supply and watch supply levels often to adjust as potential risks increases. This isn’t gloom and doom, but who would have thought that many of the things taking place in our country would be happening just a year ago. I don’t believe we should panic, but be observant for changes and respond accordantly.

There are items that because of their source that we need to live that I keep a bit on hand. Things like vacuum bags, canning lids, other things. We had a topic https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/2626/what-to-buy-or-stock-up-on-just-in-case where we discussed items to be considered to stock up on.

• Big Green Egg Team Blue Regular Contributors Cast Iron Power User

I think this is all about control. We are living in some seriously strange times!

• Team Blue

I think it is only going to get worse I have one freezer for vegetables we added to are gardens this year we buy all are beef from a local red angus farmer my wife buys all are food at a store only when it is on sale we pretty much buy most of are stuff that most people buy at a store from a farmers market there isa Amish family close buy and we get eggs and baked goods there so I believe more people need to get on a soap box and show what can be done things are changing and not for the better as far as food goes

• Team Blue Canning Regular Contributors Power User

I think most of it is all about profit. I needed a sheet of 1/2 green treat plywood. $75 at menards a couple weeks ago. Funny part was they are running out of room to pile lumber because they have so much. The guy that helped me said " people are buying at the high prices almost as much as before, would you lower your price?" Pretty sad if you ask me

• Regular Contributors

So much of this is driven by emotion rather than reality. In some ways it is like the stock market. If people would just take a breath and chill out we all would be a lot better off.

The ammo thing that Tex_77 mentioned is beginning to pizz me off. I want to shoot in a sporting clays league this summer and the shelves at Walmart are bare most of the time. No 12 gauge target loads to be found.

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

processhead is it just the ammo section that is bare? My local Walmart the shelves throughout the entire store are bare, i have not shopped in Walmart in over a year and i refuse to, i just figured it was poor management. As well as the associates being rude. Sorry Austin and Waltons family it just gets frustrating everytime i take a trip and what i need is not available at Walmart. Other local stores typically have it. Its been going on for far much longer than the pandemic era.

• Regular Contributors

twilliams said in Am I being overly dramatic?:

processhead is it just the ammo section that is bare? My local Walmart the shelves throughout the entire store are bare, i have not shopped in Walmart in over a year and i refuse to, i just figured it was poor management. As well as the associates being rude. Sorry Austin and Waltons family it just gets frustrating everytime i take a trip and what i need is not available at Walmart. Other local stores typically have it. Its been going on for far much longer than the pandemic era.

Everything looks pretty normal in the stores around here. 12 months ago there were a few items in short supply, but even that did not last long.

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Store shelves in my area are fine… Just the prices! Just checked local Sam’s club. Butts, $2.78lb. BS
    Being told by our suppliers that they are cutting products because there is a glass shortage. BS
    Being asked if we can take loads on slip sheets because there is a pallet shortage. BS ( my son works in the pallet division at Menard’s here. 80k sitting unsorted )
    Don’t get me started on the ammo thing. ARGH

• Regular Contributors

The ammo thing is getting really annoying, these yahoo’s waiting outside of stores to buy as much ammo on a daily basis to either hoard but more than likely sell on the secondary market. The suckers on the secondary market really need to just stop buying it as well. Thankfully I was able to get a case of dove load for this upcoming season from my local sporting goods store.

• Jonathon said in Am I being overly dramatic?:

Am I overly nervous about this?

“Am I overly nervous about this?”

Absolutely not!!!

TP shortage for a respiratory disease, ag commodity shortages along with extreme price increases, and other extremes that are mostly made up when all the evidence is viewed as a whole.

In my opinion that makes you wise, but this is only my opinion and your mileage may vary.

Jonathon I don’t think it’s over dramatic, it’s good to be cautious and aware of what’s going on so you can react before it’s too late. I don’t get out much besides work but what I see is the lack of workforce everywhere. Everyone is hiring with no workers lining up at the doors beating it down for a job. When the government hands out money like water and they make more on unemployment and stimulus why would anyone want to go back to work. So companies are increasing wages significantly with sign on bonuses and still not helping, but what that’s gonna do is skyrocket inflation and raise cost of living. Not gonna be good either way

• Regular Contributors Cast Iron Sous Vide Canning Team Blue Power User

Jonathon after reading the responses to your post, I think its safe to say most of us are like minded. Our tastes and techniques may be different, but at heart we are all the survival class. We will be the ones surviving if the stuff really hits the fan and it gets bad. We hunt, garden, can, smoke, cure and prepare what we need. Because of this we pay attention. So if we notice things like selves being empty, we don’t panic, we just check our stock and make sure its good. I believe thats pretty much why we all enjoy the company of the folks on this site so much.
    Always keep your powder dry.

HerbcoFood a couple people got arrested and jailed for doing the same thing with sanitizing items during COVID. They had to pay an extensive amount in fines as well. Why not these people with ammo?

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

GWG8541 said in Am I being overly dramatic?:

Jonathon after reading the responses to your post, I think its safe to say most of us are like minded. Our tastes and techniques may be different, but at heart we are all the survival class. We will be the ones surviving if the stuff really hits the fan and it gets bad. We hunt, garden, can, smoke, cure and prepare what we need. Because of this we pay attention. So if we notice things like selves being empty, we don’t panic, we just check our stock and make sure its good. I believe thats pretty much why we all enjoy the company of the folks on this site so much.
    Always keep your powder dry.

Well said.

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

some people would call us preppers but in reality I view it as I grew up with my grandparents who were born in the 1890 they were almost Mennonite grew a big garden raised cows an hogs we had berries of different types and nuts and fruit trees and everything was put up and used to feed us through the winter, my sister and I were 3 & 4 when we went to live with them looking back I wish that I had learned more at the time

• Regular Contributors

When you consider the number of Americans that have no clue where their food comes from or how to grow it, preserve it, or how to prepare a dish from scratch, I think it speaks pretty well for this group.

I hope I never have to forage to survive and feed my family, but it feels kind of nice knowing I could probably get by if I had to.

I like to think of it as a special kind of independence and it filters down to doing all sorts of day to day tasks for myself and my loved ones instead of paying someone to do it for me.

• Team Blue

I agree with processhead 100% this is the way it is

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.