• So I have friends that have tried the Bratwursts
    I make and I was asked the other day if they could buy it but I don’t know what the Missouri laws are and was wondering if anyone on here might know? Specifically my friends are wanting me to make Bratwurst from pork is this something I can do?

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

KARLHEIDOLPH technical probably not legal, due to food safety requirements etc. Now if you wanted to gift them some brats. Then they wanted to gift you something, no harm no foul.

If you are truly concerned about it, and want to start selling to the public your best bet is going to be to reach out to your county extension agent, and they should be able to point you in the right direction for all the requirements you will need to meet.

• You can definitely do it but you are “supposed” to be licensed and legal in order to sell.
    I am in Minnesota but assume that most if not all states are close to, if not the same.

If your going to go ‘legal’ you will have to make a commitment that doesn’t give you too many options to turn back.

If your looking at being legal you have to have your facility inspected and approved followed by getting a license. Once licensed you will need to start keeping records and have annual inspections to review all your records as well as the facility. Don’t forget that equipment, appliances, and all utensils will have to be NSF rated. The initial inspection is to make sure that you have everything.

Some of the requirements in Minnesota are:
    Walls and floor need to be smooth and washable (floors need to be tile or commercial 5 mil epoxy coated applied by a licensed installer) a 3 basin sink with approved soap and sanitizer (sinks have to be labeled wash, rinse, sanitize), hand wash sink (labeled), hot water, aprons, gloves, hair nets, mop sink, cooler and freezer, your suppliers (both meat and spices) must issue a “letter of guarantee” that is posted along with your license, it’s also not legal to transport your own meat (it must be delivered in a refrigerated truck), and on and on and on…

This is just the tip of the iceberg for what is involved and obviously VERY expensive. You should definitely check with your local inspectors and see what is required in your state and make your decision based on what they say.

• I am a former USDA Compliance Officer and you should contact your local health department for guidance. You cannot sell your brats to restaurants or retail stores only end users under USDA regulations

• kayers69 said in Processing laws???:

I am a former USDA Compliance Officer and you should contact your local health department for guidance. You cannot sell your brats to restaurants or retail stores only end users under USDA regulations

What I posted earlier is to sell to the end user.

In order to sell your product to a “reseller” (restaurant/retail stores) gets very involved and definitely NOT the place to start.

To give you an idea:
    There is an entirely new process you have to go through. Your facility will have to be inspected once again and then be issued a plant number. You will have to submit your labels for approval which will need to have EVERYTHING listed (safe handling, $/#, total weight, total, etc.), you need to develop flow charts and process charts for everything from receiving meat/spices through the final packaging process and refrigeration.

The kicker to sell to a reseller is once you and your facility are approved you now must have a state inspector onsite watching the process that you submitted to the state to verify you are following your state approved process. In order to get the inspector onsite you will have to schedule it and make sure that they are available when you plan to process (keep in mind they have set hours they are available).

Inspectors are very accommodating but also very busy and overworked so you may sometimes have to alter your schedule around theirs.

Hope this helps shed a little light on what it would take to sell your product legally whether it is to the end user or a reseller.

• So you make some sausage for your friend, what is the big deal? If you start a business and start selling to the general public then you would have to jump through all of the regulations of your state. No different to me making you a loaf of bread. Just don’t get silly and put up sign, “Brats for Sale”

• If you intend to not make a profit off “selling” it to your friends, then have them buy all of the ingredients for you and they help in the making process.

• Team Blue Admin Walton's Employee Power User

KARLHEIDOLPH Absolutely listen to kayers69 and the The Brat Barn

• Team Blue Canning Regular Contributors Power User

The Brat Barn Nice to see another northlander on this site. I have not tried your products yet, but have one of your flyers. Your stuff looks good

• Well thank you for all of your advice there is way more than I thought into starting a business I’m not ready to start a business for sure so I will contact someone just make sure that them donation for the spices and the price of the meat is okay I don’t make a profit off of it most are friends but they want to help with the cost for everything that goes into it

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

it is nice to see someone here that can give information from a first hand professional point , on this subject where dose the farmers market items fall that people sell

• Team Blue Sous Vide PK Grills Green Mountain Grill Regular Contributors

craigrice Many times they are items that covered by the cottage food laws of the state/county. Those vary by locale, but frequently cover baked and canned/bottled goods such as sauces that do not need to be kept chilled.

• Team Blue Sous Vide PK Grills Green Mountain Grill Regular Contributors

I know where I live, if I wanted to go vend my BBQ (I looked into it) you would have to have follow the same rules/regs as food trucks, etc

• To sell meat or poultry products at a farmers market the meat must be from inspected sources then you must follow county or state guidelines and sell directly to end users or consumers.

• Masterbuilt Team Blue Team Orange

All the health requirements are there because of a failure before. They are your friends but not after one gets terribly sick because a bacteria got in the mix. Be very careful

• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

also some people have allergy’s to certain ingredient such as msg and others

• Regular Contributors

craigrice said in Processing laws???:

also some people have allergy’s to certain ingredient such as msg and others

To your point, product labeling requirements are a huge part operating a inspected business.

• Missouri is one of the 27 States that have their own state inspection program this means they can only sell product produced within their state if they want to sell it across state lines federal inspection is required.

• Canning Dry Cured Sausage Primo Grills Team Blue Regular Contributors Sous Vide Power User Cast Iron

KARLHEIDOLPH I’m likely to get a lot of pushback on this, but is it your intentions to make this for friends? And am I understanding that they just want to cover your cost?

I see no need to jump through all those hoops to make a few pounds of sausage for friends. If you were selling to restaurants and retailers, then yes all the advice applies.

No one is going to come after the hobbyist for making a few pounds for friends. Enjoy making it and giving a blessing to your friends. If they bless you in return with funding to cover your cost, all the better - everyone wins.

This all really depends on the scope of what you intend.

• Chef said in Processing laws???:

KARLHEIDOLPH I’m likely to get a lot of pushback on this, but is it your intentions to make this for friends? And am I understanding that they just want to cover your cost?

I see no need to jump through all those hoops to make a few pounds of sausage for friends. If you were selling to restaurants and retailers, then yes all the advice applies.

No one is going to come after the hobbyist for making a few pounds for friends. Enjoy making it and giving a blessing to your friends. If they bless you in return with funding to cover your cost, all the better - everyone wins.

This all really depends on the scope of what you intend.

I agree.
    If just making it for friends and family from time to time and not technically “selling” I don’t see any reason why you would ever get a visit from a compliance officer.

BUT!
    As stated by someone earlier being the cause somebody get sick from a product you made is definitely not a path you want to go down so regardless which way you decide to go MAKE SURE that you follow ALL of the guidelines set forth by the USDA!

The guidelines are there to keep everybody safe and healthy so every home processor even those that are only making it for themselves should know what they are and follow them.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size