Eggs! Will it BBQ?

• Walton's Employee

Smoked Eggs

Will it BBQ? Eggs!

In this segment we pose the question and the answer to Will it BBQ? So much more than just hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats can be BBQ'd, Grilled, or Smoked. And, this is where we try out unique ideas for cooking on a grill or smoker. This week we are BBQ'ing Eggs and letting you know if it will BBQ or not!

Eggs on the smoker

Prep Time

10 Minutes

Cook Time

2 Hours

Ingredients

Eggs

Utensils Needed

Smoker

Instructions

The egg shells are air permeable so the smoke can pass through the egg shell, however a lot of store bought eggs are sprayed with a solution that prevents this, so you have to wash and dry your eggs before smoking them. Place them directly on the grates of your grill or smoker at 225° and let them smoke for an hour. After the first hour flip them over to the other side and smoke for another hour. Be careful not to let your smoker get above 250° as this might cause the eggs to burst and you will have a mess in your grill or smoker.

So, Will it BBQ?

From a standpoint of did this give us a cooked egg like a hard boiled one, the answer is yes. However, our goal was to see if this would be an improvement on the traditional hard boiled egg and sadly the answer is not really, no. There was a very little amount of smoke that was picked up but it was not enough to justify letting them smoke to 2 hours. We thought we might not have gotten enough of the spray off of the egg shell to let the smoke through the shell but there was actually a smoke ring in the egg so the smoke did penetrate it just did not make much of an impression. Hey, they can’t all be winners!

Shop Walton’s for Sausage Stuffers

Broil King Baron S 590 Gas Grill

v

Terrapin Ridge Hot Pepper Bacon Jam

Hot Pepper Bacon Jam

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @renaldo No you are right! For some reason I thought you were doing a 25 lb batch! For 7 lb the correct amount of carrot fiber would be 1.1 oz and for water don’t use more than 16 oz.

read more
  • R

@jonathon
    4 ounces of carrot fiber for 7 pounds of meat? Seems like too much carrot fiber for that amount of meat. But, I have been, and probably am wrong here.

read more
  • @Denny There is a guy here who does Lingua occasionally but he is at the AAMP (Association of American Meat Processors) Convention right now. I sent him an email so hopefully he has some time to give me his recipe because it was very tender. If not now then he will be back Monday.

read more
  • VP 215 Weekly Blog Post - Linking Sausage, Maintenance for the VP215

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Sausage Linking - In this video we go over a few different ways to link sausages and brats. We try to give step by step instructions while keeping things simple. At the end of the video we showed an advanced technique and you might notice it’s not me who is linking those!

Maintenance on the VP 215 - The VP 215 is a great vacuum machine for both the heavy home user or lighter commercial use. It is a chambered machine which means the entire bag goes into the chamber for vacuuming and sealing. It does need to have its oil changed periodically though, in this video we go over how to do that and how often it should be done.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are working on some Dry Cured Salami, Pepperoni and Chorizo. We will be releasing a video on this with instructions and some of the science behind it in the upcoming months, hopefully before hunting season begins in earnest. We are getting closer to having Meatgistics University ready to release. It should be ready by fall, we will release it once we have all of the basic courses filmed and edited.

What’s on our Mind?

There are a lot of things to keep in mind when you are purchasing meat from the grocery store and depending on what you are going to do with the product you need to pay attention to different things. If you are buying meat or chicken to marinade then you should look for meat that has not been pumped full of water. Most bargain chicken breast you purchase will be pumped up to as much as 15%, well if it is already pumped then it is not going to pick up much more of the seasoning or solution. I purchased some chicken and pork the other day to try some new marinades and to buy chicken without any water added it was around $6 a lb, it was worth it though as it took up far more of the seasoning than normal chicken and pork would have.

Also keep an eye out for Ali at AAMP and her Twitter, Instagram and Facebook posts about the latest in meat processing and what Walton’s employees are doing there!

New Products

General Tso Marinade I am almost positive I have found my new favorite Marinade for both Chicken and Especially Pork! We tried a sample of this the other day from Excalibur Seasonings and it was an instant favorite. It has a nice mix of sweetness with a little bit or red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat. If you are like me and order General Tsos chicken (hold the broccoli) anytime you order Chinese Food then this is a MUST buy! We will have it in stock in a few weeks and it has already been set up on the Website.

American BBQ Systems Pit Boss Pit Boss Broil King S 590 S 590

read more
  • @dc2lane For carrot fiber add it to your meat just before, or after, you add the water to mix in the seasoning and cure. For water you can add 2 qt of ice cold water and 4 oz (or a full package, might be just below 4 oz) of carrot fiber. Now, if you are stuffing into larger diameter (19 or 21mm) casings then you don’t really need to add the full 2 qts. It will make stuffing much easier but it will increase your cook time as you will need to cook that out of snack stick during the cooking process.

read more
  • D

I’m making a 7lb batch of willies snack sticks. I am going to use carrot fiber instead of sure gel.
    My question is how do I use the carrot fiber? Do I as it to water or to the meat itself? If I use water how much?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.