pork loin for jerky?

• what flavor profile would you use I have never made jerky from from pork would my regular beef jerky marinade work or should I use something like waltons bold jerky seasoning

• Walton's Employee

@rodneycaudill I have a couple of thoughts on this. First, your plan on using the loin is correct, the low fat content makes it a good choice for jerky. Since pork does not have as strong a taste as beef generally does I would imagine whatever seasoning you use is going to actually come through a little stronger than it would with beef. For example the Habanero Lime Snack Stick is not hot with Beef but if you use Pork it has a tendency to taste a little spicier.

The most widely enjoyed Jerky Seasoning we sell is the Colorado or the Colorado Spicy. The Colorado is an excellent base seasoning and if you are looking to add something to get a specific taste this is the best one to start with, just make sure you do not add anything that already has salt. The colorado spicy is the colorado jerky seasoning with some extra pepper added for heat, it’s one of my favorites.

However, I think a great choice is what you mentioned, the Bold Jerky should work nicely with pork, it has a strong flavor with just a little bit of heat and I think the slightly weaker flavor of pork vs beef will work in your favor here.

If anyone else has a different opinion or an idea on what jerky to use let us know!

• @Jonathon thanks I am going to try the bold since I just go it yesterday.

• Walton's Employee

@rodneycaudill If it comes out well do me a favor and post a few pictures so we can see.

• ![alt text](image url) jerky turned out good I sliced it too thin I think, I believe maybe a different flavor would be better but we like this,.
    I have my own marinade going now soy sauce brown sugar garlic and onion powder and bar-b-q sauce with liquis smoke

• Regular Contributors

@rodneycaudill
    Been using pork for jerky for a while now and love it. I get the boneless loin and trim the tenderloin out of it and use. I slice it a good 1/4 inch thick. It tends to shrink to half its thickness when done… I like a oriental flavor fresh garlic and ginger work well and puree a few habeneros for some heat. I do a wet maranade and let it set for 36 hrs. and try not to get it overdone.

Recent Posts

• Steak Cookoff & Car Show Weekly Blog Post - Fried Onion Rings, Walton's Steak Cookoff & Car Show

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

We just released Dill Pickle Flavored Almonds! We took this recipe from @Joe-Hell and made up a batch and they turned out awesome! I know I have said it many times, and it certainly seems like people are listening, but this seasoning is awesome and versatile! We might have to have some of it put in a shaker so it will be more easily available for people.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

Talking about the Dill Pickle Seasoning Joe sent us some awesome looking sweet onions and what better to do with them than make some onion rings!? We recently started using the Bloody Mary Wing Shake with some regular flour and made an awesome batter for fried food, well we are going to see what other ones make a great batter, so far we are planning on trying Potato Seasoning and Garnish, Smokehouse BBQ Wing Shake, Gigawatt Hot Jerky and the Dill Pickle Jerky Seasoning. We will then let the employees here taste them and vote on which is best! I am sure we will find a few other cool things to do with the onions though!

What’s on our Mind?

A lot of our focus and effort right now is on the Walton’s Steak Cookoff & Car Show. If anyone is going to be in the area on August 10th come see us! $10 ticket gets you a complimentary beer, all sorts of samples from us and from JPs Custom Smoke, access to the car show and steak cookoff and all proceeds will be going to the Air Capital Flyers Special Olympics which is a great cause! Plus the winner of the SCA Cookoff will walk away with $2,000, 2nd will win $1,000, even the 10th place finisher is going to walk away with something!

Noteworthy Recent Posts

Everyone had to wait till I was away before they could start discussing the awesomeness that is the Chorizo Seasoning

@Parksider pulled the trigger on a PK 100 smoker and showed it off in More Equipment Hoarding Please Help but I don’t think we will help, I think we are a community of enablers and we are going to continue to push him to buy more awesome stuff!

Meatgistics Community

Our little community continues to grow at a steady rate. In the past 7 days we have had;
    30 New users
    162 New Posts
    10 New Topics

New Products

They aren’t 100% set up yet but we are going to be carrying the PK Original and the PK 360 grills! These are durable little grill smoker combos that do a great job holding heat and have all sorts of attachments available to them, maybe someday I will get to take on out of stock and play with it!

read more
  • Dill Pickle Almonds Dill Pickle Almonds

Learn how to make Dill Pickle Almonds with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Pour Water into Seasoning Stir in Seasoning Bake for 8 minutes Add Salt & Vinegar Shake Overview

The Dill Pickle Jerky and Snack Stick Seasoning is quickly climbing the list of most versatile seasonings, a while ago @Joe-Hell said he used some to make some awesome almonds, so we thought we would give it a try in our new kitchen and see what it was like!

“Meat” Block

Almonds (8 oz)
    Dill Pickle Jerky/Snack Stick Seasoning (1 tablespoon)
    Olive Oil
    Boiled Water
    Excalibur’s Salt & Vinegar Wing Shake

Steps

Fully dissolve 1 oz of the Dill Pickle Seasoning in a small amount of very hot water. Mix with almonds and shake/stir very well for even distribution. Lay almonds out flat on a pan coated in foil and cook at 375° for 8 minutes. Pull from oven, spray lightly with spray olive oil and then shake on some Salt & Vinegar Wing Shake

The addition of the Salt & Vinegar Shake here changed the overall taste, without that the main flavor was just the dill, there wasn’t any real pickle flavor but the vinegar in the wing shake really brought it all together.

Watch WaltonsTV: Dill Pickle Almonds Shop waltonsinc.com for Dill Pickle Jerky & Snack Stick Seasoning Shop waltonsinc.com for Excalibur’s Salt & Vinegar Wing Shake Shop waltonsinc.com for Seasonings & Additives Non-stick Grilling Mesh Basket Non-stick Grilling Mesh Basket

read more
  • Agreed. I will mix smoke

30 minutes 130 C and later 30 minutes 71 C

After that will finished 100% grill on fire…

I hope to get flavour and safety even to take in refrigerator

Sorry for boring,

I will talk to my meat guy if possible to cure all my coarse chopped meat

only for me in this case.

If positive reply, I will start back smoking topic

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

15 users active right now (2 members and 13 guests).
Jonathon, craigrice, tabmitch, PatrickB

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 6.6k posts in 1.3k topics.
We currently have 5.2k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, 1137Guinness.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.