How to Make Homemade Dry Rub Bacon - Recipe

• Cabelas90 Jonathan Thank you both for the reply and all the information, I appreciate it. Not sure what EQ is, but I know after this learning experience I will never be doing bacon or ham again. Like you said Jon in the video it is overwhelming and it truly has been a learning experience. Jon, the ham that I smoked yesterday turned out perfect. A little too smoky but still good, today I will be smoking the other ham, which goes to my friend who paid me for half the hog. Jon I did like you said I bought another item from Waltons a slicing knife from Victorinox instead of a tip jar… Thanks for the help, take care.

• Team Blue

cu_hunting Dont Let it get you! its very doable at home! Glad the Ham turned out!

• Team Blue

So I’ve done at least 300lbs of bacon with the dry rub. 2 things I got from your post. 1 if the meat is thin 1 1/2 inches or less you only need to cure about 3-4 days. When you rinse let them sit in the water for 20 minutes rinse and repeat. I do mine 4 times that way. Then in the fridge uncovered for a day to dry out. When smoking, you don’t have to give smoke the whole time. I only run smoke for about 2-3 hours the rest of the time is just heating to temp. Also if you have a water pan that helps get it up to temp better. I’m just using a masterbuilt 30 inch.

• Team Blue Dry Cured Sausage Admin Walton's Employee Canning

AaronSilves That is a lot of bacon for sure, you’ve done more than I have! With rinsing it 4 times, you still feel like a decent amount of salt comes through? Also, do you coat the fat side? I’ve done it both ways and I don’t think the seasoning penetrates the fat at all.

• Team Blue

Jonathon yah I think it all is your personal preference on the saltiness. I would start at 3 or 4 rinses and see. As far as the fat side, yeah I rub it also. I’ve never tried it any other way so I can’t really tell you one way or another. I’ve also done a bunch of buck board bacon, pork shoulder turned into bacon. That I let sit with the rub 5 days. Rinse 4 also. Hope that helps. Once you get it dialed to your liking, it’s easy peasy.

Categories

• Waltons Community

A place to talk about whatever you want like Meat Processing, Smoking & Grilling, Hunting, and other Random Topics

• Podcast

Listen to Austin and Jon as they talk all things meat processing, beer drinking and sausage making! Email them at podcast@waltonsinc.com with any suggested topics or questions!

• Blogs

Follow along with Walton’s and the latest news, updates, and updates direct from the experts from Walton’s and Meatgistics, plus, follow along with Joe Hell in his amazing story and blog about “Better Living Through BBQ”!

• Meatgistics University

A new way of organizing and accessing any information you might need to make homemade meat products. Broken up into 7 categories and then presented in a class like structure.

• Waltons Learning Center

Learn about meat processing with recipes, tips, tricks, Meat Hacks, and more from the expert’s at Walton’s

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

31 users active right now (6 members and 25 guests).
kyle, Kmucker, dspoerre, dayjm1, gus4416, jade20, Roe Bear, DDFourman, Kerma322, calldoctoday, Ace56, detter22, kzwisconsin

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 23.6k posts in 2.5k topics.
We currently have 11.1k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, jade20.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.