Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger

• Regular Contributors

@matt-westerhaus said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

Jonathon I think just about any modern manufacturer produces a very accurate and affordable option these days. I remember in the 90/early 2000’s when I started hunting that the Remington models just couldn’t be beat. Unfortunately, I think their lineup has gone downhill lately but I haven’t kept up on Remington lately. Since their quality declined I had been looking at Savage, which other have mentioned, and I personally needed up going with Ruger in my last rifle purchase. I went with their American Ranch line which is light weight and short but I was in the market for 300Blk so light and short fits the bill there. The Ruger American lineup is pretty affordable. I don’t know if you can beat Vortex optics for the money either.

I agree about the overall trend toward greater accuracy and precision in the firearms industry over the last 20 years or so.

CNC machinery and advanced metallurgy has become so prevalent in the machine tool industry (including the firearm industry ), that manufacturing tolerances are incredibly tight now.
    In the past, it took a skilled gunsmith many hours of hand-fitting to assemble a bolt action rifle with the accuracy to shoot sub-MOA groups. Now most of the production rifles that come off the assembly lines of the major manufacturers will routinely do that right out of the box.

• Regular Contributors Cast Iron Canning Team Orange

bocephus Amen to that!

• Regular Contributors

ND Mike said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

bocephus I agree with you fully. We have to keep hunting alive by passing it on to youngsters.

• Dry Cured Sausage

7mm period

• Regular Contributors

samnora1 said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

7mm period

???
    Lots of 7mm cartridges out there.
    7mm-08, 7x57, 7mm Rem Mag 7mm Win Short Magnum 7 mm Rem Short Magnum 7mm Weatherby Magnum to name a few.

• Regular Contributors Team Orange

processhead 7mm ultra mag which is a small tank round…

• Regular Contributors

HerbcoFood said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

processhead 7mm ultra mag which is a small tank round…

lol

• Well, 270WIN is a super flat shooter, flatter than the 6.5 Creedless…and a hard hitter, lots on harvested meat in my freezer with no tracking.

Funny story, I was sighting in my newest load.

Sent my first shop down range and looked through the spotter and couldn’t find the shot on the paper. I couldn’t believe I wasn’t even on paper.

Waited for clear then got the paper and the shot was in the middle of the X, which is why I couldn’t see it. Guess my load and sight was on. Paper is now on my loading closet with the load data written on it so I never forget it.

• Regular Contributors

For guys that hand load, you can really bring out the accuracy potential of a rifle. Working up a load and shooting groups with different combinations of powder weight, type, bullet types and primers.
    Rifles have unique personalities. Not all ammo shoots the same and what shoots good in your rifle may not shoot that great in mine.

• Dry Cured Sausage

Sorry I was not more specific.
    7mm Rem Mag is what I meant. I have killed deer from 30 yds to 400 yds in Missouri. And elk up to 600 yds in Colorado.
    Four black bears fell to this bullet in Quebec in years past. For an all around weapon, for me, is this configuration.

• processhead said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

For guys that hand load, you can really bring out the accuracy potential of a rifle. Working up a load and shooting groups with different combinations of powder weight, type, bullet types and primers.
    Rifles have unique personalities. Not all ammo shoots the same and what shoots good in your rifle may not shoot that great in mine.

Definitely!! I got super lucky on my first load. Still shot the others (on new paper), but I can’t beat the story for sure. Hand loading is the way to go. I started with the simplest set up, Lee Loader Hand Loader. $30 and a dead blow hammer got me started. I’ve upgraded a bit since then, but that was what I was using with the shot from the story. Also shooting out of a Savage Axis II with factory scope. Looking to upgrade the scope soon.

• Regular Contributors

Cory Brown said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

processhead said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

Definitely!! I got super lucky on my first load. Still shot the others (on new paper), but I can’t beat the story for sure. Hand loading is the way to go. I started with the simplest set up, Lee Loader Hand Loader. $30 and a dead blow hammer got me started. I’ve upgraded a bit since then, but that was what I was using with the shot from the story. Also shooting out of a Savage Axis II with factory scope. Looking to upgrade the scope soon.

Like you, I also started with a Lee loader when I got my first center fire rifle, a military 7.7 mm Arisaka. Norma ammo cost more than what I paid for the gun, so I started reloading for that old obsolete caliber.
    Economics continued to drive my handloading after I started doing a little competitive target shooting when I was young and poor. Factory ammo was too costly so I tooled up for handgun and rifle calibers that I was shooting the most.
    Not competing anymore so my handloading is less frequent now.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

ND Mike you are quite a unique individual. Patrolling the highways. Delivering babies 👶and now teaching hunters education. Congrats 👏and thank you for all you do.

• Big Green Egg Team Blue Regular Contributors Cast Iron Power User

cdavis hahaha! Yeah sometimes I can get pretty busy. I’m glad I don’t coach football anymore or I really wouldn’t have time for anything!

• You could also buy a bow. There is a satisfaction you get from harvesting an animal with a bow that you will never get with a rifle.

• Regular Contributors

Grimpuppy said in Best Caliber for Deer and maybe larger:

You could also buy a bow. There is a satisfaction you get from harvesting an animal with a bow that you will never get with a rifle.

I think Jonathon is lined up with a rifle hunting opportunity, but you are absolutely correct about bow hunting.
    I got back in to bow hunting 16 years ago and my rifles don’t see nearly as much hunting action now.

• Grimpuppy processhead undoubtedly there is a feeling that you get when harvesting an animal
    With a bow. Up close and personal and it’s amazing to be that close to the game and everything you experience when hunting from a stand or ground blind. All sorts of critters walk by.

I think there’s also a feeling that hits you when you take an animal from a longer distance and do so cleanly. Just like upclose in a stand, that animal has no clue what hit them. I harvested an antelope at 340yrds suppressed and it was just as intense of an experience as a whitetail at 8 yards in the tree stand.

• Dry Cured Sausage

I hunted with a bow for many years and got my first buck with an old recurve and cedar arrows many years ago.
    But ,alas, at 70 yoa and disabilities I can’t draw a bow anymore. So I go for long range shots with
    my 7mm rem mag to fill the thrill rush. But bow hunting is the best.

• ND Mike all you hunters out there need to check out the HAMMOND Game Getter on Google so that you can harvest grouse and small game with your rifles with minimal noise and no tissue damage. I haven’t missed a head shot on a grouse in a tree in 30 years

• Regular Contributors

One of the things I like best about archery hunting deer is the long season. I get to observe deer and wild life, be outdoors, and so much more now since the season is 4 months long.

The 10 day firearm season was just so compressed in comparison. If I couldn’t bow hunt or we didn’t have a muzzle loading weapon deer season, I would definitely be back out during firearm season, though.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.