Sausage made this weekend - Holly Regular Pork Sausage

• Regular Contributors

A while back I had ordered some of the Holly Regular Pork Sausage spice blend, I finally got around to trying it this weekend… I did about 10 lbs of sausage… once cased, I cooked up about 4 lbs in the oven as I normally do before freezing for a quick breakfast item… I will be totally honest here, I was not impressed… I didn’t feel the flavors melded, and it ended up too salty…

The other 6 lbs I tossed into a cold smoke for about 2 hours using pecan, then bagged it up and put it in the sous vide for about 3 hours @ 165… I tried the first piece right out of the sous vide, and the result was AMAZING!!! The links stayed as plump as when I had stuffed them, there was virtually no loss due to cooking, but they were not greasy… the flavors melded beautifully and the texture was perfect… Honestly some of the best tasting sausage I have made to date!!!

This morning I nuked up one of the links, just to get it warm, (didn’t even bother to sear it), and it was AWESOME!!!

The difference in cooking made all the difference in the world… it looks like the sous vide is going to be an integral part of my sausage making tools…

Active Users

Recent Posts

• That’s a great question but a difficult one to answer! Usually, Worcestershire Sauce will have a pH of 3.6 - 4.1 while Soy Sauce has 4.4 - 5.4. Negative pH (below 7) can cause denaturing in your meat and if you have something like the 3.6 (low range of the Worcestershire Sauce) it can cause issues even when added in smaller amounts.

If you look at the ingredients in Mandarin Teriyaki Snack Stick or Sweet Teriyaki Jerky (you can do this by scrolling down and then clicking on “Additional Info” button) you will see Soy Sauce as an ingredient, so it can absolutely be added, it just needs to be in the correct amount. This is a major reason that we recommend prepackaged seasonings, your at home recipe can be wonderful but it also has the potential to destroy your products.

So, if you are going to experiment with Sauces with a negative pH then my advice is to start at very low concentrations and work your way up till you find a good amount that provides the taste you are looking for and does not negatively affect your finished product.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

read more
  • J

Does soy sauce denature the meat like worcestershire sauce or is it ok to use in a meat stick?

read more
  • P

Try it on just smoke. That should work fine.

read more
  • P

I have tried a TF 34MM processed casing I got from Quality Casings. A 32MM HF and a 30MM TF, both clear processed, I got from Mar-Co Sales. Devro Is the brand I have now. I have been hanging them. the 30MM has been the best but still tougher than I want. Ideally I want a 32MM processed casing for my brats. Does Walton’s send out samples? I do have to order some other items.

read more
  • T

Re: Jerky
    Thank You

read more
  • C

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a couple of ideas your suggestions have given me.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.