• Power User Canning Team Orange Regular Contributors

bocephus temps are like that here now in maine

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

90’s again this weekend in southern Wisco, ugh. It’s opening bow season as well. I will not be out as I usually don’t start hunting til last week of October unless there is a major cold front that moves through on a weekend. I do have a couple hit listers though that I would like to get before they go on the doe search

• Regular Contributors

We have had close to 7 inches of rain over the last couple of weeks. The moisture, along with high temperatures as resulted in more mosquitos than we have seen all summer.
    As if the heat wasn’t enough of a reason to stay out of the tree stand, the bugs pretty much make it a no-brainer around here.

• Team Orange Masterbuilt Big Green Egg Dry Cured Sausage Sous Vide Canning Power User

I am taking advantage of everyday before the riding season is over. I have put more miles on my motorcycle in the last couple of weeks than I normally put on in a couple of months. I have close to 3K planned so far for the next 3 weeks. Been needing some time to wrap my head around something’s.

By then some of the leaves will have fallen, easier to bird and squirrel hunt. Might even jump some puddlers. My new hunting buddy should be here in about two weeks, already had birds shot over her. Hopefully I will be able to find some shot shells and get some alone time in the field and build an understanding with her.

• Regular Contributors

YooperDog said in Fall of the year:

By then some of the leaves will have fallen, easier to bird and squirrel hunt. Might even jump some puddlers. My new hunting buddy should be here in about two weeks, already had birds shot over her. Hopefully I will be able to find some shot shells and get some alone time in the field and build an understanding with her.

Always exciting times to get out with a new hunting dog.
    Eventually, every dog I have had taught me more about upland hunting than they learned from me.

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt

YooperDog Always exciting working with a new dog, had a mentor tell me “hunt for the dog the first year and he will hunt for you the rest of his life.”

• Team Orange Power User Masterbuilt

Just purchased my gun and bow licenses. One buck plus two free antlerless with each license. Opted out of the free metro tags. Ridiculous. Would never think of taking that many deer!

So, with the six of us who hunt this private land we could, in essence, take 36 deer! Not happening. Thank you Wi DNR.

Still don’t get the metro tags. Even though this area extends somewhat beyond the city limits is does include it. Pretty sure sure if I crack off a round at one of deer that frequent my street, they’re going to take me to jail. No thanks!

• Regular Contributors

PapaSop said in Fall of the year:

Just purchased my gun and bow licenses. One buck plus two free antlerless with each license. Opted out of the free metro tags. Ridiculous. Would never think of taking that many deer!

So, with the six of us who hunt this private land we could, in essence, take 36 deer! Not happening. Thank you Wi DNR.

Still don’t get the metro tags. Even though this area extends somewhat beyond the city limits is does include it. Pretty sure sure if I crack off a round at one of deer that frequent my street, they’re going to take me to jail. No thanks!

I’m just curious if Wisconsin has a Hunter’s Feeding The Hungry program? In Nebraska, if you have harvest more deer than you need, you can donate it to a participating processor and they will turn it into food for the less fortunate.

• Team Blue Canning Regular Contributors Power User

processhead I know up here in north WI where I live, you can bring your deer to a local processor and donate it to program that gives the meat out to people in need. What I don’t like is at least up by me, there are not the deer numbers the WI DNR thinks there are. Last year I sat every day but one of our 9 day rifle hunt, and on the 6th day of muzzle loader season, I finally saw a spike and shot it. It was only the 4th deer I saw. I have a total of 91 acres, many food plots, mix of open and wooded land, and too many wolves. I give PapaSop credit for not using all of his tags.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

kyle I’m with you. Oklahoma gives a ridiculous amount of tags. We take what we need for the year and that’s it. We all need to protect our deer herds.

cdavis problem is too many people feel if they get the tag, they HAVE to shoot every deer they see. The dnr did limit the number of doe tags this year in our unit, but still my friend and I each buy one at $12 just to try and save a couple deer. Seems the people that dont care are the same people who dont live or have a vested interest in the area

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

kyle you are exactly right. Most of them have no ties to the land and don’t care. Alot of them don’t even want the meat. They just want to say they killed it.

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt

In the area we hunt in MN we could take three deer each, the second and third have to be does or fawns. We don’t buy the extra licenses always figured one each was enough. Although with the pictures we are getting this year from the game cameras there seems to be more deer than usual, we might allow some friends access to our land if we do well early in the hunt.

• Power User PK100 Regular Contributors Team Grey

If they are giving free tags I take as many as they give me in hopes that it will preserve the future. In hopes that it will keep the people that are brown is down slaughter mentality at limits. But then part of me thinks, well what if I just took tags from a family in need of food that now doesn’t have an opportunity to harvest something? But then I think about it even further and think, well if me or my family is starving I’m taking a meal with a tag or no tag, survival is key. All bow season and first 7 days of gun I strictly wait for a wall hanger, the last two days I harvest my two does for meat and that’s it. Last year opening day of gun I had 42 deer come past. The full 9 days I bet was just over 100, im sure some of those were repeats but nonetheless not worried about getting meat at anytime in my legal hours and quantity I am searching for

• Regular Contributors

I can’t imagine being able to invest the time, fuel, and money in deer hunting and have it be more cost effective than buying food at the grocery store for someone who is on limited income.
    I will tell that to anyone who is trying to justify hunting as a way to save money on food, for 99% of hunters, it just doesn’t pencil out.
    Now there may be some cases where a person’s situation makes it cheap and easy to hun, they live on or have access to land nearby and harvest food, they can take off work, or aren’t working and need to feed a family, but I think that is a very small sub-set of all hunters.

• Team Blue

processhead Margaret & I used to be able to do just that & for the most part only eat the venison I shot, the rabbits & chickens we raised, & for the most part, the fish I caught. That was a long time ago, well over 30, though. Before regulations, new laws, license fees, tag fees, even ammunition got out of site & ridiculous. We had a little more land too & the area we were in was not all grown up yet, like it is now. We only shot what we ate & wasted nothing, period. I will not even dare tell you how I took the game on our own property. It was clean & quick. I miss those days, but on the other hand, I might not be all up to it anymore either. I am not sure, even though I prefer to believe I am. So, it can be done, but it is real difficult in these days & times. It is getting difficult for the working man to afford & thus enjoy hunting & fishing like we used to be able to, sadly to say.

processhead that is imho that farmers and not many others are the only ones that can afford & have the right to harvest for crop damage and not need added expenses

processhead said in Fall of the year:

I can’t imagine being able to invest the time, fuel, and money in deer hunting and have it be more cost effective than buying food at the grocery store for someone who is on limited income.
    I will tell that to anyone who is trying to justify hunting as a way to save money on food, for 99% of hunters, it just doesn’t pencil out.
    Now there may be some cases where a person’s situation makes it cheap and easy to hun, they live on or have access to land nearby and harvest food, they can take off work, or aren’t working and need to feed a family, but I think that is a very small sub-set of all hunters.

For me it’s all about spending time with family and friends. Things really changed for me when dad passed away going on 2 years ago now. The deer is a bonus that I am grateful for. Property and food plots are expensive but it’s also a great way to spend time with my son and friends in nature.

the art of being self sufficient is something that needs to be passed down

• Team Blue Team Orange Masterbuilt Regular Contributors

Exactly. I dont shoot or catch my own food. Heck, I dont even have a herb garden. But I know from my younger years how to do it if I had to.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size