How to Make Homemade Imitation Bacon - Recipe

• Walton's Employee

@sierrapete Is it rubbery before you cook it in a pan or oven? If you followed our directions and then did not finish it up by cooking it like you would cook packaged bacon then yes, I can see how it might have a rubber texture. It’s possible that you mixed it too much but in my mind it’s more likely that pan frying or baking it in the oven would fix your issue.

Let me know if you already did finish the bacon off in the pan or oven and we can go from there to see what else might have happened.

• Kind of rubbery prior to frying up in my go to cast iron skillet. I fried some up and it wasn’t bad. Even though I sliced as thin as I could with a really sharp knife I think a slicer would give a uniform thickness to avoid this.

• 1_1517498290548_5AF4BBB1-7D91-4C29-B257-526AC9BD39B1.jpeg 0_1517498290497_1D5CD181-BEF5-4D90-BCB2-B0E7CA0B3970.jpeg

Pre-cook of imitation bacon and final product browning up. Turkey is the lighter loaf, beef is the darker one and in the skillet.

• Walton's Employee

@sierrapete How was the taste on the turkey? When we did it I thought it was a great way to use some extra turkey but didn’t think it tasted as good as the pork. Now that is sort of obvious but I am curious about your thoughts on the taste of it?

• @jonathon I got through my pack of beef bacon and opened the turkey. I think the flavor was better. Definitely leaner. It definitely has a different texture than the beef. I didn’t do pork, but now have something else to make.

• Walton's Employee

@sierrapete Thanks for the information, maybe my taste buds were just off from eating too much of the bacon made from beef and pork first!

• Can I make Salmon Bacon with this recipe?

• Walton's Employee

@JSmokedfoods In theory yes, you should be able to do this, however I have never tried it with fish and I don’t know if you are going to be able to get enough protein extraction during the mixing process. My thought is that you would be able to but the water content is probably high enough that you would have to do some experimenting and I am almost sure you would need to add a Binder like Sure Gel or Soy Protein Blend. If you try it please let us know if it worked out or not!

• I will be using the Imitation Bacon #2 Seasoning. If I am NOT using the Smoke Meat Stabilizer, how long do I need to allow the mean to “cure” before I cook or smoke it?

• Walton's Employee

@srtcanopy If you hold it overnight or about 12 hours, then it will be perfectly fine! I wouldn’t hold it too much longer than 18 or so.

• Thank you @jonathon! Appreciate your prompt response.! I have 4 pounds of beef, 4 pounds of turkey, and two pounds of 50/50 beef and turkey on the smoker now! Perfect amount to use up 1 package of the bacon seasoning. I loafed them on a foil wrapped grate on the smoker (poked holes in the foil and seemed to work fine).0_1540050358711_IMG_0190.JPG I was a little worried that the turkey only would not hold up to a block but it seemed to do fine.

• Regular Contributors

Imitation Bacon??? Austin and Jonathan, you guys have too much time on your hands. Why not buy that good 'ol pork belly and make real bacon! Bacon is easy and tastes fantastic with your pre-packaged seasoning and cure. Plus, it’s REAL BACON. REAL. The only reason to make “imitation bacon” from beef or turkey is, IMHO, for a dietary or religious prohibition against pork; otherwise, go REAL!
    Greg

• Walton's Employee

@gadahl SHHH dont tell anyone I have too much time on my hands, ESPECIALLY Austin, as far as he is concerned I am 100% busy at ALL TIMES!

I actually just made some dry rubbed bacon for our Cured Whole Muscle Section of the new Meatgistics University! Videos for all the Meatgistics University classes are going live this Monday around 4 pm CST. If you are free join us at waltonsinc.com/live for a live stream where we will being giving away a stuffer, some Waltons hats, some discount codes and we will also be giving out a coupon code so everyone gets something!

• Walton's Employee

@srtcanopy Out of all the imitation we made I think Turkey was my favorite in that it was unique, the ham and beef tasted VERY close to normal bacon, the turkey tasted like something else. I really liked it…speaking of that I have some in my freezer!

• @jonathon the turkey definitely saves on a few calories and the fat content. I think that my favorite is the 50/50 beef/turkey. Less saturated fat than the “real” bacon out of pork belly. I use a wet cure for my pork belly and it takes a few days. The ease of using the imitation seasoning puts a good tasting product in the freezer very quickly. I’m not sure much more smoke flavor I actually got out of using hickory chips in the smoker. It may be just as easy and just as tasty to put the meat loaves in the oven. I may try that as the weather gets colder.

Thanks for site and the tips.

Recent Posts

• R

Any idea of brand on the “brown” ones? I used to be able to buy them from my local butcher but he has since stopped selling them. Or where to purchase?

read more
  • E

@ramt600 I had the same thing happen with the reddish ones also and the brown ones worked the best so, I just stopped using the red casings.

read more
  • Another way is with a digital gram scale. 1 ounce = 28 grams. 6 oz = 168 grams. 168 ÷ 100 = 1.68 grams per pound.

read more
  • @meatmadam
    You will need to inject the hams first. After injecting, then take any leftover brine, and put that with the hams into a tumbler. Then, tumble for 2-3 hours. Hold it overnight in a cooler, and then smoke it the next day!

read more
  • M

Thank you Austin, looking forward to try it with my new vacuum tumbler! As the tumbler does not allow for 24 hours of tumble ( dial cannot be set longer than one hour )what is recommended for doing a ham?

read more
  • @meatmadam
    If the usage is 6 oz per 100 lb of meat, to recalculate for another batch size, simply divide the additive weight by the meat block weight (6/100) and that equals how much to use per lb of meat (which is 0.06 oz per lb). You can then take the 0.06 oz and multiple that by however many pounds of meat you are making, so if that is 5 lb, then you end up needing 0.3 oz per 5 lb of meat.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.