Idaho Smokey said in New smoker:
Sweet and Spicy Smoked Turkey with Smoked Gravy
1/2 cup Sweet BBQ Rub, recipe follows
One 10- to 12-pound turkey, untrussed and spatchcocked
12 medium carrots, peeled
12 ounces mini bell peppers or sweet Melrose peppers
2 cups turkey or chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Sweet BBQ Rub:
1 cup turbinado sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Rub the Sweet BBQ Rub all over both sides of the turkey. Transfer to a disposable aluminum pan breast-side up and refrigerate overnight, uncovered, to dry brine.
- The day of roasting, let the turkey sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Add the carrots and peppers to the pan and put the turkey on a wire rack above the vegetables.
- Preheat a gas grill, charcoal grill or smoker to 350 degrees F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set up a smoke box or small disposable aluminum pan with fruit wood chips. Once the smoke is rolling, put the turkey and vegetables on the grill in the pan, close the lid and smoke for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, rotate the turkey and add the stock to the pan to deglaze. Continue smoking until the breast meat registers 160 degrees F and the thigh[censored] 165 degrees F, another 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Let the turkey rest 45 minutes to an hour while you make the gravy. Remove the carrots and peppers from the pan and set aside. Strain the drippings from the pan using a fat separator.
- To make the gravy, melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk well to make a roux. Slowly add the strained drippings and whisk. Let simmer to reduce to the desired consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Slice the turkey and serve over a medley of the smoked carrots and peppers with the gravy on the side.
Sweet BBQ Rub:
- Combine the turbinado sugar, granulated sugar, salt, chili powder, paprika, granulated garlic, onion powder, cayenne, cumin and pepper in a bowl. Store in an airtight container.
You need to post that recipe in the recipe section. We cannot not have this lost in some thread and not have it for prosperity!!! YUUUUUUUUMM!!!