• We own a small butcher shop and we are looking at making pastrami for the first time. We have a prosmoker 300 sg pellet smoker that we use for all our retail jerky, bacon, snack sticks, etc. Just looking to get some advice on how people make pastrami if they are making it for retail consumption.

• Sous Vide Dry Cured Sausage Traeger Team Blue

I do not make it for retail production but I make it as often as I can find a brisket on sale (and my stock in the freezer is down). A big favorite at the house. I actually make pastrami and also Montreal Smoked Meat (which I prefer). My next project will be to see if I could make a hybrid because there are a couple of flavor profile from the pastrami I think I would love to add to the Montreal Smoked Meat.

My process is a 14 day process (brining/curing, smoking, sousvide)

• maurermeat look into the charcuterie book by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Most of the methods they discuss in the book scale well to retail portions.

• Team Blue Regular Contributors Traeger Power User Veteran Sous Vide Canning

maurermeat Basically I start with corning my brisket using pickling spice for 14 days in a brine, then just coat it with black pepper (coarse grind included) then into the smoker for 6 to 8 hours at 225 degrees. I own a Treager pellet. Then covered in a pan into the oven at 250 degrees for another four hours. You can steam it as well it if you have the equipment for the final cook. Mine if for personal consumption and friends.

• Team Blue PK100 Kamado Joes Regular Contributors

RafterW said in Advice for making Pastrami:

maurermeat look into the charcuterie book by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Most of the methods they discuss in the book scale well to retail portions.

Will second that all the pastrami I have made followed this cure and they have been fantastic. When I cook I rub in course black pepper/coriander then smoke till I hit ~160F IT or so. Then I put it in a hotel pan with water about halfway up the brisket, cover, and braise for 3 hours to make it tender.

I am NOT retail so apologize for jumping in, just done this a good number of times for personal consumption.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.