Ham/Black Forest Ham flavor Bologna?

• Hello! I’ve finally nailed a great texture bologna and made regular and garlic bologna. I’d like to use the same technique but just shoot for a smoked ham flavor and some variations of that.

Any ideas on what base seasoning I could use for the ham flavor? I’ll be grinding up pork loins/butts.

Thanks!
    -c

• Walton's Employee

@craigw9292 After talking to a few people here we think the best way to get a ham like flavor would be to use a ham cure and use the same seasonings and additives you would for curing a normal ham. I’d recommend you use the Sweeter than Sweet Cure California Ham Spice and Cold Phosphate

You will want to use this in the same ratio as you would for making a whole muscle ham. You will grind, mix and stuff like you did with your bologna and then either let the product sit overnight, or if you used a cure accelerator you can go right to the smokehouse. You will want to use about the same amount of water you would if you were making the same amount of smoked sausage.

Your other option is to inject the cure and additives directly into the whole muscle and then let that sit overnight in a cooler then grind, mix, stuff and smoke like you did for your bologna.

We just don’t think there would be a sausage seasoning that you could add california ham spice too that is going to give you anything approaching a ham taste.

• @Jonathon Awesome! I will give this a try and post results 🙂 now if only I could get that order shipped for xmas lol

• @Jonathon One quick question - since that cure is mixed in with the meat now and not per gallon - any thoughts on oz per lb?

• Walton's Employee

@craigw9292 Since we are still working off of the same usage ratios I would say for each 10 lb of meat you should use 13 oz of water, 0.175 lb (.28 oz) of the country brown sugar, .078 oz of California ham spice and .8 oz of cold phosphate. Again this is for a 10 lb batch so just make sure you correctly adjust for how much meat you are doing. Let us know if you need anything else.

Recent Posts

• J

It sounds like you used casings that were intended for semi-dri, smoked or fermented snack sticks. For a fresh breakfast sausage you would want to use a “fresh” collagen or natural hog or sheep casing.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/21mm-fresh-collagen-casings

https://www.waltonsinc.com/natural-sheep-casings

read more
  • D

@papag Thank you!! That is what I had intended to do but wanted verification.

read more
  • C

On the measurements, I measured & calculated the five pound container of cure mix three times & got three different answers as would be suspected for something that should be weighed. However, since I do not have a food scale anymore I settled for about 2.25 cups to equal 1 pound of cure mix. Thank you for the suggestion on the liners & I will look into that too. I tried to find a food safe five gallon bucket, but was unable. I used my typical Aluminum Turkey Pot that I usually use with up to 2.5 gallon freezer bags for smaller turkeys, butts, briskets, etc. However, since this ham was so big, I had to go & get a 10 gallon freezer bag to use for the ham & put that into the Turkey Pot to keep it together. That ham has been taking a bath now for a day. Thank you all for all your help.

read more
  • H

Please help me if you can. Let’s say I wanted to mix two flavors like habanero and ranch yup that’s the request from the wife and friends and I’m down to try. Would I mix for the whole 25 lb batch or cut each in half? Main question is are there salts in these blends or just flavor?

read more
  • E

I made a batch of breakfast sausage. This is my first time using collagen casings. I used 19mm Mahogony edible collagen casings.
    Well, I pan fried them this morning and the casings were like rubber. I was able to slide the sausage out of the casings so all was not lost.
    Any ideas why the casings were not really edible?
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

read more
  • M

I smoked many a summers on my traeger. Turning them a few times during the process will ensure that you won’t get “cooked product” on the side that is facing the grill.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.