Dry Venison B'fast sausage

• Team Orange

I made venison b’fast sausage using the Holly Regular seasoning for the first time. I like the flavor, but it turned out a bit dry.

Here is my process:
    10 lbs venison
    3 Lbs pork fat
    Grind 10mm plate separate then mix lean, fat, seasoning and grind with 4.5 mm plate.
    Add 8oz water and mix
    Stuff into plastic chubs

I slice them into patties semi frozen and straight into hot pan. The first side browns nicely then when I flip them a lot of water seems to come out and they boil until the water is gone and then fry up till browned. Some may say I over cook it, but I like the crispy browned outside.

It seems to me that venison has a lot more moisture it it than pork. Or it may just release the moisture more readily. I am thinking that some type of binder may help? Soy protein, sure gel, carrot fiber? Or should I just up the fat if I want crispy sausage patties.

What has worked for others when using venison for b’fast sausage? I don’t seem to have this issue using the same meat block for Italian or brats, but the casing may help a bit.

• Masterbuilt

Kinda the nature of venison breakfast sausage. I mix half pork butt to half venison. I wouldn’t call it dry as just much less fat.

• Masterbuilt

And I don’t add water.

• Team Orange

I up the pork to almost 50/50. Not all pork fat but I use the fattiest part of a pork butt. So I guess it is about 50% venison, 30% pork, and 20% pork. Some soy powder or carrot fiber would help also.

• Regular Contributors

Commercial breakfast sausage probably has a closer to 50/50 lean to fat. Personally I like venison breakfast sausage with a higher fat content even though much of it fries out during cooking. It finishes out moister,

• Regular Contributors Team Orange Sous Vide

I like my venison breakfast sausage to be about 60/40 pork to venison. I used to do it 50/50 but it was too lean for me, I like a little grease in the morning…

• That’s about 23% fat, not enough for breakfast and that is if you added pure pork fat, if there was lean meat on the pork trim it becomes even leaner

• Team Orange Power User Canning Masterbuilt Veteran

keend0 You might want to add a little more pork if it is trimmings and not just fat. Also binder would probably help hold moisture. I would try smaller batches until you get it how you like.

• Team Orange

Thanks everyone, sometimes you just need some confirmation on what you were thinking. This is a great place to bounce ideas off others!

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.