Basic bacon rundown please

• Regular Contributors

My scale has a glass platform, and product tends to overhang the readout, so I’d like to upgrade eventually.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

mrobisr your bacon 🥓 looks great 👍

• Team Orange Power User Veteran

Now that I’ve done a couple runs with the Walton’s dry rub, curious about the EQ method. First dumb question. With such a small amount of cure used, how does this get evenly dispersed through the meat? Thinking about sausage and sticks where I dissolve the cure in water for even dispersion.

• Regular Contributors

PapaSop said in Basic bacon rundown please:

Now that I’ve done a couple runs with the Walton’s dry rub, curious about the EQ method. First dumb question. With such a small amount of cure used, how does this get evenly dispersed through the meat? Thinking about sausage and sticks where I dissolve the cure in water for even dispersion.

It starts with mixing the salt, sugar, and cure #1 plus and other dry ingredients together well. The amounts are calculated to give the requisite concentration based on the green weight of the belly. Next, the well mixed ingredients are sprinkled evenly over the muscle side of the belly.

Next the belly is put in a large ziplock bag or carefully wrapped in plastic film. While wrapping, take care not to lose any rub off the belly. I like to use a 2 gallon ziplock, which will hold a side that has been sliced in half. Put the two meat sides of each half-slab facing together.

Given adequate time, the ingredients will be absorbed into the meat and and the relative concentration of everything will equalize through the meat.

The other reason you use a relatively small amount of curing ingredients is that all of it is going into the meat. Since it is wrapped, the ingredients basically got nowhere else to go. No wet brine so nothing stays behind or falls off the belly like with other dry bacon rub methods.

Some say you don’t really need to turn the belly daily. I do it anyway.

Time is your friend here, PapaSop .

• PapaSop just have to mix cure with salt (and sugar if you are using it ) well. Then spread it out evenly all over the belly. Put it in a bag along with anything that may have fallen off. Get it all in there. Then wait. I vac seal mine so I will try to rub the little bit of liquid around and flip every couple of days.
    I just prepped 2 bellies this morning. Cut one in thirds and cut other one in half. Need to do a few different runs in the pk100 to test it and learn more about what I will like.

processhead said in Basic bacon rundown please:

PapaSop said in Basic bacon rundown please:

It starts with mixing the salt, sugar, and cure #1 plus and other dry ingredients together well. The amounts are calculated to give the requisite concentration based on the green weight of the belly. Next, the well mixed ingredients are sprinkled evenly over the muscle side of the belly.

Next the belly is put in a large ziplock bag or carefully wrapped in plastic film. While wrapping, take care not to lose any rub off the belly. I like to use a 2 gallon ziplock, which will hold a side that has been sliced in half. Put the two meat sides of each half-slab facing together.

Given adequate time, the ingredients will be absorbed into the meat and and the relative concentration of everything will equalize through the meat.

The other reason you use a relatively small amount of curing ingredients is that all of it is going into the meat. Since it is wrapped, the ingredients basically got nowhere else to go. No wet brine so nothing stays behind or falls off the belly like with other dry bacon rub methods.

Some say you don’t really need to turn the belly daily. I do it anyway.

Time is your friend here, PapaSop .

Thank you. That’s basically the answer I was looking for. 👍👏

Randie N said in Basic bacon rundown please:

PapaSop just have to mix cure with salt (and sugar if you are using it ) well. Then spread it out evenly all over the belly. Put it in a bag along with anything that may have fallen off. Get it all in there. Then wait. I vac seal mine so I will try to rub the little bit of liquid around and flip every couple of days.
    I just prepped 2 bellies this morning. Cut one in thirds and cut other one in half. Need to do a few different runs in the pk100 to test it and learn more about what I will like.

Thank you as well. Great info. I guess dumb questions are well received.

• Team Blue Big Green Egg Masterbuilt Canning Kamado Joes Regular Contributors Power User

processhead you say time is your friend here. How much time are we talking about.

• cdavis when learning about it everyone said 1 day per 1/4 inch of thickness of meat plus 2 days

Randie N thank you sir.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.