Stacking Rack Inserts

• Does anyone have any experience with these rack that can be added to smokers? I have a Daniel Boone and saw that they made the [Bull Rack](lhttp://www.earthworkssupply.com/categories/BBQ-Products/Bull-Rack/ to fit. Was thinking it would be awesome for Jerky, and even appetizer like items. The Bull Rack seems to be the standard, but I am curious if anyone has used it, or any like it and what your opinion is. Is there a cheaper option? Do-it yourself option, etc.

• Regular Contributors

Not sure of you dimensions but I used baking cooling racks, the have small “feet” of them to separate. I typically rotate them every hour or so. Can find them anywhere, walmart, target, and amazon. I have a restaurant supply house here in Rochester where I got mine originally. I actually had to cut mine down to fit the smoker, no problem with an angle grinder.

• Admin

@SamOller said in Stacking Rack Inserts:

Does anyone have any experience with these rack that can be added to smokers? I have a Daniel Boone and saw that they made the [Bull Rack](lhttp://www.earthworkssupply.com/categories/BBQ-Products/Bull-Rack/ to fit. Was thinking it would be awesome for Jerky, and even appetizer like items. The Bull Rack seems to be the standard, but I am curious if anyone has used it, or any like it and what your opinion is. Is there a cheaper option? Do-it yourself option, etc.

Those look interesting.
    We have a 3-tier rack that could be used in a smoker, but it’s not quite as custom fit. It is definitely a lot less expensive though.
    See if this would help you at all: https://www.waltonsinc.com/3-tier-jerky-racks

I’ll have to do some checking if we can either get those Bull Racks, or something similar…

• @austin do you also sell additional racks for it?

• Admin

@SamOller We don’t unfortunately; they only come as the set.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @Robert-Tartaglia Generally vinegar was added to the water to help reduce the smell. In my opinion, if you are just stuffing them the casings don’t require them nowadays, if you are boiling them then I might and add some. Some people also say it makes them more tender but this is debatable.

read more
  • R

A recipe that i have says to soak the hog casings in white vinegar and water. My question is, “what does the vinegar do for the casing?”

read more
  • B

@parksider Thanks. I did all that. I stuffed them tight twisted the tops down tight and secured them with twist ties. I’m going out right now to try again. Thanks for the tips!

read more
  • Meat Hacks: Making Bone Marrow Burgers

Learn about Making Bone Marrow Burgers with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Meat Hacks

The meatgistics User @Denny recently posted a question about how much bone marrow should be added to a burger per lb. Well, I had never done anything with bone marrow before so I decided to grab some and check out the process.

I started out with a few beef marrow bones, you can pick these up at your local grocery store or butcher shop. The bones I bought were about 2 inches thick which made getting the marrow out a lot simpler than I thought it was going to be. I just pressed on one side with my thumbs and they came out the other end in one solid piece. After doing all the bones I had set aside for testing this I had 5.7 oz.

Once I chopped them all up I wanted to find out how much a Tablespoon of this weighed so we could give advice in both volume and weight measurements, so 1 Tablespoon of this beef marrow weighed 8 grams so .28 of an oz.

Now, Denny pointed out that a demo he saw said 3-4 Tablespoons per 1-2 lb of burger, we are going to go with 4 because I always tend to think more is better, so would be 1.1 oz per lb or .55 of an oz per lb. That’s a pretty big range so we are going to test it by using 4 tbsp or 1.1 oz for 1 lb of burger, then 1.5 lb of burger and then 2 lb of burgers.

Since the purpose of this is to determine the ratio of Marrow to use we didn’t want any other taste to stand out so we aren’t using any patty mix with this, so just straight ground beef. We also are making burgers with no marrow as a control.

So after we grilled all of the burgers the one we added the most bone marrow too was my favorite. The bone marrow adds a really interesting deep flavor but I was most surprised by how much it changed the texture of the burger. It stayed juicier and almost had a creaminess to it that would be hard to replicate with any other ingredient I can think of.

I won’t be doing this every time I make a burger, buying the bones, prepping them and then mixing them in did not take too long but it was an extra step but if I had a bunch of friends over and really wanted to impress them with something then this is a really interesting way to make an over the top burger!

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Patty Makers Shop waltonsinc.com for Patty Seasonings Subscribe to WaltonsTV on YouTube Broil King Baron 420 Broil King Grill South of the Border Cheddarwurst Bratwurst Seasoning

read more
  • P

Sitting at the beach on vacation my mind has time to wander…when you’re done stuffing give them a good twist to compact the meat. I’ve also give up on string tying I use zip ties and yes I wash them most of the time. We have zip tie loops that we’ll zip tie to the casings, makes hanging so much easier then just reuse the loops. That should help with the shrinkage issue.

read more
  • P

You may not have stuffed them enough. Sometimes it hard to stuff the larger casings and if it’s not tight the may cause the shrinking during the cooling process. Those cases are extremely durable don’t be afraid to stuff them.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.