Fresh sausage

• This weekend I made fresh sausage, hot, sweet, and your holly breakfast sausage. I found the holly spice a very nice flavor. My sweet was great. However my hot had great flavor, but the color was drab. I used some paprika for color. I still was not happy with that. Do you sell something to address this issue?

• Admin

@butch
    Other than paprika, the most economical way to add a color and signify a hot or spicy sausage would be to use red collagen casings. These casings look awesome when making hot links, or other spicy sausage. It doesn’t color the meat itself but the casings in red make the sausage look great!

You might be able to use a food safe food coloring. I don’t know if it would have any effect on the texture of the meat, and we’ve never tried it here, but it could be worth doing a small test batch on to try and test it out.

Other than those options, there is nothing else that is cost effective for making small batches of homemade sausage. My personal recommendation would be to use the red collagen casings.

Recent Posts

• J

@Jonathon How would you suggest to mix in fat with pre packaged ground venison? We butcher and prepack ground venison into 1 lb packages. Should we regrind the venison with the fat using a smaller diameter plate? or grind the fat separate and mix using a mixer? I assume the better option would also be true for snack sticks.

read more
  • Time for a cat fish & hush puppy fry.

read more
  • T

That’s a nice 23? pounder lot of fun to catch, but the 1 1/2 to 2 pounders taste lot better. P.S. They love that cheap Mexican dog food , just throw it out same time every day , here they come a running. lol

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

18 users active right now (1 members and 17 guests).
justinslater83, Joe Hell, kmelody, calderson

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, wayne.113069.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.