How to Make Homemade Chorizo - Recipe

• Walton's Employee

Chorizo Sausage

How to Make Chorizo

Learn how to make Chorizo with Walton's and Meatgistics. Read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Chorizo?

There are two main types of Chorizo, Mexican or Spanish. Both are made from ground pork and can be sweet or spicy, the Spanish version is usually dry cured where the Mexican is usually either fresh. Chorizo can be made from leaner portions of pork all the way to 50/50 fat to lean ratio. The seasonings will normally give you a finished product that is reddish in color. Our version will be a Mexican style and made from Untrimmed Pork Butts. An important addition to the Mexican Chorizo is vinegar, you should aim for a 50 grain vinegar.

Meat Block

25 lb of 70/30 Beef Trim or 25 lb of Untrimmed Pork Butts or 18 lb Venison and 7 lb. Pork Fat

Additives

1 bag of Excalibur Chorizo Seasoning
    8 oz. (0.5 lb) 50 grain vinegar
    32-35mm Hog Casings or Collagen Casings or Meat Bags

Process

Grind all of your meat twice through a 3/16th inch plate. Make sure your plates and knives are sharp and lubricated before grinding to give you a nice clean cut and to prevent any smearing. You can also remove your grinder head assembly and let is sit in the freezer overnight before grinding to get it as cold as possible.

Meat Mixing

We do not need protein extraction since we are not smoking this, so just mix in your seasoning and vinegar into the meat and mix until all seasoning is dissolved.

Sausage Stuffing

You can stuff your sausage into either 32-35mm Hog Casings or Collagen Casings. If you are using natural hog casings make sure you soak and flush them first. Avoid creating air pockets when you load your sausage stuffer, a good way to do this is to load your first level at an angle so the meat covers the bottom and then slopes slightly from one side to the other, add the next layer and leave an angle sloped in the opposite direction, make sure you are packing it down between loads. Stuff casings until they are smooth and full and then twist into links or cut into desired lengths

Stuffing Into Meat Bags

Use your largest stuffing tube to make this as easy as possible. Place bag over of the stuffing tube and fill to desired amount. Close bag with a Meat Bag Tape Machine or Hog Ring Pliers.

Wrap up

Making a Mexican Chorizo is really not much harder than making any other Fresh Sausage or Bratwurst, you just need to use the correct vinegar and seasoning.

Additional Tips

• If you cannot find something listed as 50 grain then look for one with an acidity between 5-10%.
    • Make sure you lubricate your plates and knives with White Oil before you start your grinder
    • Since most often Mexican Chorizo is going to be used in its ground form stuffing it into meat bags might be the better idea with this one. However it is also delicious if enjoyed as a regular sausage in a casing.

Other Notes

You can make leaner Chorizo, it will not have as strong of a taste but is still delicious

Watch WaltonsTV: How To Make Chorizo

Shop waltonsinc.com for Pork Sausage Meat Bags

Shop waltonsinc.com for Natural Hog Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Collagen Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Walton’s Sausage Stuffers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Ethnic Sausage Seasonings

Active Users

Recent Posts

• J

Hello from Alpine, Texas.

read more
  • G

Hello Everyone,
    Gary T. From Branford CT, I’ve been making jerky for some 30 years now, not sure how I missed Waltons site but I’m glad I found it, great to see all the videos tips and forums.

Trying the Waltons BOLD Jerky seasoning today in a restructured mix, I normally try a mix as is the 1st time then alter to my taste later on, I needs TONS of flavor so I’m hoping this one does the trick. I also bought the Teriyaki & Cajun to try.

Thanks for the invite. Gary T.
    0_1532271771994_20180715_141005-1.jpg

read more
  • G

Hi Guys,
    Quick question? Why is it NOT recommended to mix your cure and seasoning until it’s ready to be used??

Because the Excalibur Jerky Seasoning comes in bags suited to use 25# of meat I wanted to break it down into smaller mixing batches, I know I don’t mix 25# of meat at a time, I usually cut it in half for 12.5# each. Anyway I’d really like to mix all the cure and seasoning once then break in down for smaller batches of meat for later use, also when I say later I only mean like 1-3 months.
    Thanks Gary T.

read more
  • D

This is my tounge recipe. I get the tounge usually from people I work with that buy freezer beef from a farmer. They usually throw them out or feed them to the dog. NO WAY. Here is how I process the tounge.

Rinse the tounge well as it is dipped in a antiseptic. State law I think. Lay it out on your cutting board. Cut the tounge into at just back from where it tarts to narrow as the narrow part of the tounge has very little meat . Now take your sharp fillet knife and skin the little well marbled roast. Now lets make the juice. I like to use Mrs. Smiths dill pickle / Jalapeno mix follow the directions on the mix.
    Then smoke it with your favorite wood till the internal temp for beef reaches 160 degrees . I then remove from the smoker and let cool for 20 minutes. I then cut the tounge into chunks about the size of sugar cubes and pack into a qt. jar. I then slice a Vidallia onion into rings and add to the qt. jar. I pour the pickling spice over it covering all of the tounge and onion. Install a lid and refrigerate for 2 days and enjoy. I take this to work and always bring home a empty jar. Another version is brad and butter pickle mix.

read more
  • W

@Austin
    Haysville Ks. Smoking and grilling for 10 years. Limited meat processing about 8 years

read more
  • Most recipes I’ve researched suggest an IT of 152° - 155°. My question is, what’s the most efficient method of taking the IT of a snack stick. Should I use a probe and slide it into the center of one of the snack sticks hanging in the smoker? Is it better to slide the probe into the top of a snack stick as it hangs or up from the bottom? Thanks in advance for your help!

AJ

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.