• Yearling

I made fresh sausage and stuffed it in fresh collagen casings. they are nice and plump. i cut them into bun sized lengths without twisting them. When placed on the grill or heated in a pan with water to poach before browning them, the casings shrink from the ends until only the middle of the sausage is “within” the casing. By then, the sausage has setup and doesn’t crumble or fall apart. However, the casing that remains seems to be twice as tough/chewy as expected. i typically cut it off to remove it. I want to share the sausage with friends and hate suggesting they should cut away the casing before eating the sausage.
    Am i doing anything wrong? should i twist the sausages into links rather than simply cutting them to length?
    I’m willing to switch to the natural casings on the pre-loaded tubes for future batches, but i have a decent supply of fresh collagen casing to work through first. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Rich R You need to cook them over a lower temp, the high heat is causing the casing to shrink. There will always be some shrink to the casing, but it should be as much as you are describing. Can you post a picture of it as well.

• Team Blue

This is my brats with fresh casing. I always twist and leave them in a tub in the fridge overnight. Then cut them apart the next day. This was cooked on my Traeger at 325 degrees for 20 minutes on the upper rack. Turned once at 10 minute mark. They always come out with perfect snap.
    84651325-4D02-419F-8DC1-85C6CA4FF9AE.jpeg

• Team Blue

Those look absolutely fantastic

• Yearling

thanks, the high heat makes sense. some times they shrink less than others. grilling seems to shrink the least. the water poaching is the worst situation. I’ll try to get pics out soon.

• Team Blue Power User Traeger Primo Grills PK Grills Canning Sous Vide Community Moderator

Rich R I never cook in water, so i can’t speak towards that. I’m sure there are guys here who might, who may chime in.

• Grimpuppy, I just cooked up some of the Hatch Green Chile brats you gave me the recipe for back in July or so. Used the cooking method you showed and the came out great. And the flavor is fantastic.

• Team Blue

Nice! It is definitely my favorite brat.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.