Sure Gel ?

• I typically grind, mix, stuff and put my sausage in the refrigerator over night. Remove the next morning and smoke. I like doing this so the seasonings have time to blend together. If I decide to add sure gel can I add this when I’m mixing and stuff these into casings and refrigerate over night?

• Walton's Employee

@ringmuskie9 Adding sure gel does not change your process, so you are fine holding it overnight and smoking the next day as long as you are not using a cure accelerator like Encapsulated Citric Acid or Smoked Meat Stabilizer. If you do us a cure accelerator then need you would need to go straight to the smoker.

• @jonathon

Thank you

• Hi Jon- I made a batch of snack sticks this weekend & used encapsulated citric acid. I couldnt fit the whole batch in the smoker and part of the batch had to sit several hours before cooking. I was wondering what the effects would be on the sticks if they are delayed too long before smoking if a cure accelerator is used.

Thanks

• Walton's Employee

@iveryan The biggest issue you are going to run into is that you might end up with a dry and crumbly around the edges product from the pH being off. If it was only out for a few hours your product should still be okay to eat just might have some texture/appearance issues. ’

If you do have some dry crumbly edges could you post pictures of it so other people could see what it looks like?

• @jonathon I already had them vac-packed & in the freezer by the time I posted this question. I did label the sticks that were delayed, so I will check them out closely when I pull them out to eat. It may be a couple of months though. Thanks for your help.

• @iveryan I would love to hear the results as I used a replacement citric acid and did not know you could not keep and I have a 50 lb. batch I had to hold in fridge overnight, so I’m worried.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• R

I bought a chamber vacmaster vp 120 from waltons over a year ago, and it works great. just don’t get nothing inside the bag where it seals the bag.

read more
  • @Jonathon
    We’ll that was the first thing that came to mind the first batch i ever made. had a cold beer in hand and was sampling one and closed my eyes to savor the moment and the smoke aroma smelled just like i had a lit cigar in my mouth thus the term [meat cigars]

read more
  • @Jonathon Was there another thread or topic that addressed glycerine and using a vacuum tumbler?

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics