Advice on building a smokehouse.

• I have been wanting to build a smokehouse for andouille, smoked sausage, tasso, turkey necks, etc. for a while now. The thing that I want most is to be able to get a good hard smoke on the meat, but I don’t want to have to constantly monitor the temp and add fuel. I guess thermostat controlled but I don’t know if electric or gas would be sufficient to get the house up to temp. Not sure on dimensions yet. Anyway any advice is appreciated. The pics below are kinda what I have in mind.
    2_1520963974019_smokehouse.jpg 1_1520963974019_images.jpeg 0_1520963974018_54.jpg )

• Walton's Employee

@cayenneman I’m no expert on building a smokehouse but I will say that if you are looking for something that you won’t have to worry about the temp fluctuating I would probably go with gas. It might take some more figuring initially to find the correct level of gas to introduce and what to set your dampers at but electric smokers will fluctuate intentionally. If you were to graph the temp of an electric smoker it would look like a series of waves, this is because it kicks on until it reaches the target temperature then shuts off the heat source and then it cycles through that. However if you are using a thermostat then either full source might have this issue.

One other tip, if you are smoking for long periods of time then pellets are a better choice. For shorter jobs chips and dust are good but for longer smokes pellets will burn and smoke significantly longer.

Anyone built a smoker here and have some advice to share?

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.