How to make ground meat chubs using poly tubing

• I’m looking to make chubs of ground meat (like you’d buy the 3/5/10 lb chubs of ground beef or turkey at the grocery store). I’ve made sausage before but I’m not sure if the same concept would apply. Would I load the poly tubing onto a stuffing tube the same way I’d load sausage casing? How do I know how much to load on? Since I’ll be stapling the ends of the chub (as opposed to tying/twisting like with sausage) how do I start the beginning end?

• Walton's Employee

@alchemybullies Good questions, first I would say instead of using the poly tubing you can use Ground Beef Bags, these might look flat in the picture but when they are stuffed they look more like the chubs you see at the store and they are already closed at one end. If you want to see what these look like when they are stuffed check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4rINa_Gmk at the 2:50 mark we are stuffing a bag from a grinder and then at the end you can see the filled bag and I will include a photo of what they look like at the bottom of this post.

If however you are set on using the poly tubing (which is totally fine by the way, lots of commercial processors do this for patties and then freeze and slice them) then you will load it onto the stuffing tube just like you would anything else (use the largest stuffing tube possible) and staple the end that will the bottom first and then after you have stuffed as much as you want into it cut and staple that end.

It will take some guess work on how many inches it takes to get get to your 3/5/10 lb goal and give yourself enough room to staple it at the end. Luckily each one of those rolls is 2,000 feet so you have a lot of material to do the testing on!

0_1521488733253__DSC9304.jpg

• I’m intending to do exactly what you said: grind into the poly tubing, freeze, then slice. The tubing seems to come out rounder, and I figured it would be easier to slice into uniform portions that way. But seeing how round the bags came out in the video, maybe I’m wrong…? The bags certainly would be easier!

• Walton's Employee

@alchemybullies If you are intending to do patties then I would say that you are better off using the poly tubing as the bags have a gusset at the bottom that would make that a little oblong. We do sell the meat bags by the 100 if you wanted to buy some and check them out and see if they would work for you?

Another option would be the 4.8 in x 22 in Fibrous Boneless Ham Casings and stuffing, freezing and slicing them. You would get a lot more round portion out of this than I would think you would get with the meatbags? This would be fairly cost effective as well as you would get 25 of these casings with an order and each casing is 22" long so they would do a fair amount.

So, if you are going to use the full 2,000 feet then go with the poly tubing, if you don’t want to buy all of this at once then either the meat bags or the fibrous casings would be a decent option!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• D

Thanks for the help!

read more
  • @denny I have a recipe for tongue with rice and gravy. Slice the tongue into thick slices about an inch to an inch and a half. Make small incisions in each piece and put a piece of garlic. Season with salt, red pepper and cayenne pepper. In a cast iron pot put a small amount of cooking oil. Brown the tongue on a medium heat stirring often. Occasionally add a little water. Just enough to stop it from sticking. After the meat is browned we’ll remove the tongue and add a couple of large onions. Brown them down will well and add tongue back. Cover the tongue with water and cover. And cook over a Med to high heat. Cook till tinder. You may have to add a few times. Once it’s tender cook it down till the gravy is thick. Serve gravy over white rice. This is how we Cajuns so it. Hope you enjoy.

read more
  • @renaldo No you are right! For some reason I thought you were doing a 25 lb batch! For 7 lb the correct amount of carrot fiber would be 1.1 oz and for water don’t use more than 16 oz.

read more
  • R

@jonathon
    4 ounces of carrot fiber for 7 pounds of meat? Seems like too much carrot fiber for that amount of meat. But, I have been, and probably am wrong here.

read more
  • @Denny There is a guy here who does Lingua occasionally but he is at the AAMP (Association of American Meat Processors) Convention right now. I sent him an email so hopefully he has some time to give me his recipe because it was very tender. If not now then he will be back Monday.

read more
  • VP 215 Weekly Blog Post - Linking Sausage, Maintenance for the VP215

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Sausage Linking - In this video we go over a few different ways to link sausages and brats. We try to give step by step instructions while keeping things simple. At the end of the video we showed an advanced technique and you might notice it’s not me who is linking those!

Maintenance on the VP 215 - The VP 215 is a great vacuum machine for both the heavy home user or lighter commercial use. It is a chambered machine which means the entire bag goes into the chamber for vacuuming and sealing. It does need to have its oil changed periodically though, in this video we go over how to do that and how often it should be done.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are working on some Dry Cured Salami, Pepperoni and Chorizo. We will be releasing a video on this with instructions and some of the science behind it in the upcoming months, hopefully before hunting season begins in earnest. We are getting closer to having Meatgistics University ready to release. It should be ready by fall, we will release it once we have all of the basic courses filmed and edited.

What’s on our Mind?

There are a lot of things to keep in mind when you are purchasing meat from the grocery store and depending on what you are going to do with the product you need to pay attention to different things. If you are buying meat or chicken to marinade then you should look for meat that has not been pumped full of water. Most bargain chicken breast you purchase will be pumped up to as much as 15%, well if it is already pumped then it is not going to pick up much more of the seasoning or solution. I purchased some chicken and pork the other day to try some new marinades and to buy chicken without any water added it was around $6 a lb, it was worth it though as it took up far more of the seasoning than normal chicken and pork would have.

Also keep an eye out for Ali at AAMP and her Twitter, Instagram and Facebook posts about the latest in meat processing and what Walton’s employees are doing there!

New Products

General Tso Marinade I am almost positive I have found my new favorite Marinade for both Chicken and Especially Pork! We tried a sample of this the other day from Excalibur Seasonings and it was an instant favorite. It has a nice mix of sweetness with a little bit or red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat. If you are like me and order General Tsos chicken (hold the broccoli) anytime you order Chinese Food then this is a MUST buy! We will have it in stock in a few weeks and it has already been set up on the Website.

American BBQ Systems Pit Boss Pit Boss Broil King S 590 S 590

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.