Cold Smoking Bacon

• Is it ok to cold smoke bacon injected or pickled with the Blue Ribbon Maple Bacon Cure? You actually recommend a different cure for pickling but dont really say why, is it just personal preference or does this cure not work for regular pickling?

• Walton's Employee

@leppolite That cure is not a good option for pickling as it has sodium erythorbate already mixed in which is going to cause any cover pickle to gas out so quickly that it won’t have time to penetrate even something thin like Bacon.

For cold smoking you would normally need something with the appropriate levels of Nitrite and Nitrate and this cure only Nitrite. You might be able to use this but can you give me what your process is going to be? The more detail you can give me on what you plan to do the more detailed an answer I will be able to give you.

Thanks!

• @jonathon This would have been my first actual cold smoke. The plan was to run with an Amazen tube and no heat for 8-10 hours until I had good color then freeze and slice. Temp here will be in the 40F range if I do it on Saturday as planned. I have hot/warm smoked bacon before but never cold smoked.

• Walton's Employee

@leppolite Sorry for the delay we were talking to a few other people here and wanted to see if there was anything we could recommend for this and there just isnt a good way to cold smoke something with this type of cure. I would start cold smoking with something else, and perhaps not do the bacon at all. I have never done it and I just wouldn’t trust cold smoking anything without it having both Nitrites and Nitrates so that you get the immediate curing and slower longer cure.

For Bacon I would always thermal process with the below smoking schedule.
    Stage 1 - 120° for an hour with no smoke
    Stage 2 - 135° for an hour with smoke
    Stage 3 - 150° for an hour with smoke
    Stage 4 - 165° for an hour with smoke
    Stage 5 - 180° with no smoke until internal temperature reaches 132°

• @jonathon Thank you for the reply, I will grab some bacon flavor enhancer and roll with injecting and hot smoking a bunch and then try something more appropriate for a cold smoke later. Thanks again for taking the time to investigate and respond.

If you have a suggestion for a cure that would be appropriate for cold smoking I would be interested.

• @leppolite
    I’ve cold smoked a bunch of cheese and store bought salami or summer sausages with the amaz-n-smoke tubes, works great. The cheeses really take on the smoke flavor great. If you have multiple grates to use just keep the area right above the tube free of cheese, the tube does produce some heat directly above it. I buy the bricks of whatever cheese you like and then split them lengthwise into 4 sections about an inch or so square, same with the sausage, pretty tasty.
    Tom

• I have both a 6 and 12 inch A-maze-n tubes, the guy that makes them is like 30 minutes away. Stopped and picked up the tubes and some flavored pellets last Friday but not had a chance to use them yet. Hopefully this weekend I will get some cheese smoked. I still need to do a batch of injected bacon this weekend too so I will be busy apparently.

Recent Posts

• B

Cooked a batch of summmer in PK 100 casings are 1 7/8 by 12 cooked at 120 for one hour then 140 two hours then 180 tell internal of 152 but when I went to pull them the fat had liquefied any ideas

read more
  • T

Tom T from Boise, ID

read more
  • D

Oh… I ground the pork fat and the venison at the same time. 2 chunks of venison, 1 chunk of pork, back and forth…

read more
  • D

Yes… sure cure and sure gel binder. The venison and pork fat were both still partially frozen when I ground them. First through the large course plate, then again through the small plate. (Not sure of sizes, but these are the plates i normally use for summer sausage). I probably should have put the meat back in the freezer before seasoning but i was pressed for time. I mixed by hand for 14 or 15 minutes. I also think I might have added to much water. The video said 2 quarts for wild game 2 pints for fatty pork. I put in 1 quart and about another cup. I mixed until it got tacky and then mixed some more. The meat seemed soupy to me but the video said that would be ok.
    The shriveling occurred before I bumped the temp up. I was using a digital thermometer with a probe, when the temp stalled for a couple hours, I suspected the temp might be reading inaccurately so I opened the door to confirm with a dial thermometer. The digital was accurate but the sausage was already shriveling.
    Another thing that bothered me was the casings… these had perforations for some reason. I e never used perforated casings before and seemed like I was losing a pot of moisture through them. Did I have the wrong casings? The other fibrous casings in the catalog said you were supposed to poke them anyway.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.