Has any one tried the Minion method of smoking?

• Has any one tried the Minion method of smoking? The Minion method being where you add a large amount of unlit charcoal and pour some lit charcoal on top to get a slow gradual burn that is supposed to give you a steady temp for hours. I’m thinking about smoking a pork butt on Saturday using this method on my offset smoker.

• Thanks Joel. I stopped by Walton’s earlier today and picked up a digital grill thermometer and a digital meat thermometer for tomorrow. I think I’ll try the Minion method to smoke a pork butt for pulled pork. I’ll post how it goes.

• One of my smokers is the Weber Smokie Mountain charcoal smoker. I use the minion method all time with it. Fill the charcoal ring, hollow out the middle a bit and add about 12 to 15 lit coals to that. Works great for me!

• Hour two - smoking a pork butt using the minion method. So far so good. I thought the temperature gauge was not working right for a while because it was holding so steady at 225 deg! I’m really liking this method so far, being somewhat of a newbe at smoking meat.

• I finished my pulled pork yesterday. Turned out delicious! I was happy the Minion method worked. The coals lasted for hours. After my coals died down I ended up burning oak logs for coals.

Suggested Topics

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.
Change Text Size