idea for cheeese burger cheddar wurst

• I have some ground serloin. About 6 pounds. I put that with about 2 pounds of bacon. I plan to use the cheese burger cheddar wurst seasoning and some carrot fiber. I will also be putting about a pound of high temp cheddar cheese. I plan on putting that in casing and calling it bacon cheese burder cheddar wurst. Hoping the beef doesn’t make it dry, the carrot fiber and the bacon should help with moisture.

• Walton's Employee

@gerygaub The carrot fiber will help for sure and as long as you are near or above 20% fat you should be okay. The issue with that is that Ground Sirloin is sometimes 90% or more lean. You might want to try adding some Cold Phosphate for moisture retention? Maybe hold off on adding that for your first batch and just add it if it comes out dry?

The Cheeseburger Cheddarwurst comes with sure cure so it can be smoked or you can leave out the cure and make it fresh. If you add the cure and smoke it just make sure you get REALLY good protein extraction to help prevent the fat from rendering out during the smoking process. If you are not curing and smoking and are making a fresh product let it cook at lower temperatures initially on the grill or in the pan, same goal here we don’t want any fat to render out.

Your creation sounds amazing and I don’t know if you knew it or not but we have declared this the Month of Bacon at Walton’s so when you make these please post pictures of them to Meatgistics and if you want either the Meatgistics or Waltons Facebook or twitter or wherever!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• C

As I. push the carriage forward the slices get bigger and bigger even if I push only the carriage.

read more
  • Squid and Octopus Weekly Blog Post - Octopus and Squid, Vacuum Packing

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Depending on what you see as soon we will have the almost complete first round of Meatgistics University Classes released. We have broken everything down into these categories; Meat Processing Equipment, Seasoning and Additives, Fresh Sausage, Cured Sausage, Jerky, Sausage Casings, Deli Meats, Smoked Meats, Cured Whole Muscle Meats, and Specialty Sausages. Each of these topics will have multiple entry-level classes covering topics like the type of casing to use, equipment needed and a basic processing class where appropriate.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are going to be doing two new Will it BBQ’s, hopefully, this week where we try BBQ’ing Squid and Octopus! The squid was a suggestion by Bob Zambutto through Walton’s Inc Facebook account! I had been wanting to do both of these for a while and when I went to our local Asian Grocery Store (Tai Binh for anyone local to Wichita, KS) and they had lots of options for both, they have almost anything and I got a few more weird ideas while I was there! Anyway, I picked up some baby octopus and a full size one, some small squid and two large ones as well. I am excited and nervous to see how this goes if nothing else it should be fun to watch!

What’s on our Mind?

Did you know that you shouldn’t vacuum pack Mushrooms or Garlic? I was reading a Vacmaster VP120 instruction manual the other day and I saw an interesting note that said not to vacuum pack Garlic or Mushrooms! I had no idea that you shouldn’t do this so I thought I would share that with meatgistics readers to let you know not to do it as well. Apparently, they both are prone to bacteria that will continue to grow in oxygen-free environments. I was hoping it was something more impressive than that but it is good information to have.

New Products

22" X 24" Collagen Sheets This are typically used for larger whole muscle cuts of meat, like when you are making prosciutto, capocollo, or other dried hams. This is an item that we have had lots of requests for over the years so we were happy to finally find a reliable and reputable source for it.

read more
  • M

@jonathon
    Thanks for the response!

I think a video on processed celery would be incredible. The only place I have been able to find celery powder as a cure was from “The Sausage Maker”, they have a Facebook page. It was expensive, designed only for sausages, and wasn’t packaged well.

As for the tackiness, good idea with the cornstarch! There are a bunch of big brands with zero additives that were able to achieve the soft texture with no tackiness, so I’m thinking it has to be in the processing. I read an article where someone at KRAVE mentioned a couple details about how they process their jerky. He said they first inject the meat, then cook the whole pieces, then slice, then marinate, then dry. I have messed around with the idea behind this process a lot. Injecting with brine, sous-viding at a variety of temperatures and times, slicing, marinating, and drying. Decent results, but to be honest the high sugar method you introduced to me has seemed to have better results.

Anyway, I will keep trying to figure this out and will definitely keep you guys posted if I make any headway. In the meantime, if there is anything else you think might be worth testing, please let me know! It would be great to try and perfect this process together.

Max

read more
  • D

@bob-s-meatgistics I moved one of my first pork butts into the oven and my whole house smelled like smoke. My wife did not stop complaining for a week until the smell was gone from both the house and the oven. I finish all my cooks outside. If you wrap it to speed up the cook you may want to unwrap it for the last hour to put the bark back on it.

read more
  • P

@jonathon I am definitely going to purchase and follow the steps you’ve post, thank you sir! Additionally, if anyone has recipes, please share. I’ll try them all and post what my family thought of each. Thank you all, this is a very cool and educational blog, glad I found it wish it was years ago! Thanks again.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.