How To Make Homemade Kielbasa - Recipe

• Admin

How to Make Homemade Kielbasa
    Kielbasa Recipe

How To Make Homemade Kielbasa

Learn how to make homemade Kielbasa with Walton's and Meatgistics. Read the guide and then post your questions or comments below.

What is Kielbasa?

Kielbasa is polish for sausage. It is typically stuffed into a non-edible collagen casing that is removed after smoking or a large diameter hog casing. The seasoning and flavor normally has a stronger than average garlic flavor and is shaped into a ring. It can be eaten whole or sliced and cut into smaller chunks to serve as part of a larger dish or casserole. Kielbasa is typically made from pork, but may also contain beef, poultry, or even wild game.

Meat Block

7.5 lb 85/15 Lean Beef
    8.75 lb 80/20 Lean Pork
    8.75 lb 50/50 Pork Trim

Additives

1 package Signature Smoked Kielbasa Seasoning #4550393220
    1oz Sure Cure (packet included with the seasoning)
    2oz Smoked Meat Stabilizer
    6oz Sure Gel Meat Binder
    1 Quart Ice Cold Water

Process

Grind pork trim through 3/16in grinder plate, twice
    Grind lean beef and pork through 1/8in grinder plate

Mix

Begin mixing lean meats first. While mixing add Seasoning, Sure Gel Meat Binder (or Soy Protein Blend), Sure Cure, and Ice Cold Water. Mix for 5 minutes. Add ground pork trim and mix for an additional 3 minutes, for a total of 8 minutes of mixing time

Stuff

Stuff into 40mm Collagen Casings or large diameter Natural Hog Casings

Notes

You may substitute other meats besides pork and beef and if you cannot keep the lean and fat separated during mixing you can still mix everything together at one time. Try to keep your lean to fat ratio around 70/30.

If you do not use a cure accelerator like Smoked Meat Stabilizer, then hold in a refrigerator for approximately 12 hours or overnight

Smokehouse Schedule

120F for 30 minutes
    130F for 30 minutes (start adding smoke now and throughout entire cook cycle)
    140F for 30 minutes
    150F for 30 minutes
    160F for 30 minutes
    170F until internal meat temperature of 160F
    Shower final product or place in a ice water bath for 10-20 minutes to set the casings and cool the product

Other Notes

Place a small pan of water in the bottom of smokehouse during entire cooking cycle to help increase humidity
    If your smoker, smokehouse, or oven cannot reach temperatures as low as 120F, just start as low as possible and slowly increase the temperature over time

Shop waltonsinc.com for Signature Smoked Kielbasa Seasoning

Shop waltonsinc.com for 40mm Collagen Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sausage Stuffers

Recent Posts

• @TinCupTom I agree with both @bobing195-7 and @ed-jordan in regards to the H Summer, great tasting Summer Sausage without being too strong or having any real heat.

Just so you know, in case you were looking for it and couldn’t find it, the ingredients are listed on the products web page. Just scroll down and click the “Additional Info” tab and it will show up.

The W Summer (4550300082) might be the most mild of all the ones you listed. That doesn’t make it bad at all just a very mild flavor

Summer 107 (4550300032) Similar to H, contains mustard seed but I don’t think it is whole.

Summer Sausage Seasoning (4550300012) Very similar to the 107 in flavor, has whole mustard seed.

H - Summer (G4550300070) is our best selling Summer Sausage Seasoning, contains whole mustard seed. If you are looking for a peppery seasoning this is the best one to use for a base and add some black pepper. This would be the basic summer seasoning favored by most employees and customer.

Another option, if you are making 100 lb batches or don’t mind breaking down the seasoning into smaller batches, would be the Ton’s Summer Seasoning (4550806642) It has a very good flavor and is pretty peppery if I remember correctly, I pepper is listed higher in the ingredients list than any of the others… Of all of the basic Summer Sausage seasonings (excluding ones like Jalapeno and Habanero BBQ) this is the second best scoring one amongst employees.

read more
  • E

@tincuptom i can only speak to the H summer sausage seasoning, but it has a lot better taste than the backwoods. Not a lot of pepper (you could add more I am sure) but it is a good solid flavor profile. I did not use the ECA for the tang, but plan on doing it this week in a batch. You can’t go wrong with the H seasoning!

read more
  • B

I have been in search for a summer sausage seasoning with black pepper but couldn’t find one. I’m new at this so the H Summer Sausage is the only one I have used so I can’t give you any comparisons with the other 3, but you mentioned black pepper so thought I would share my first experience.
    So I used Waltons H Summer Sausage and mixed in about a quarter cup of fine black pepper. I liked the results and several others did as well. It had a light pepper taste and I probably will add a little more in the next batch for a slightly stronger flavor. I used 25 lbs of venison and 4lbs of beef fat to keep it on the leaner side. Good luck, Bob

read more
  • S

thanks. As it turned out I did use a pork butt, cost only $1.48/# on sale and pork fat appears to be running about 50 cents more. Pure fat is a lot harder to come by, guessing because there is just less of it – supply and demand. One recipe I was using called out pork fat and I directly substituted the ground pork butt and it tasted fine even at a 25% ratio. The other sausage experimental batch I made with 50% and it is even better. So, 50/50 is the future now. thanks for your input folks!

read more
  • S

excellent, thanks.

read more
  • @Jeff-Allen While the 26 and 33 lb sausage stuffers absolutely will make 19mm snack sticks the reduced size of the piston on the 11 lb model does make it easier. I have made snack sticks with all of the sizes and especially when you are working by yourself the 11 lb is easier to do.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.