I am getting ready to make some snack stix using these

ADDITIVES
    1 package Mandarin Teriyaki snack stick
    1 oz Sure Cure
    4 oz of Carrot Fiber
    4oz Encapsulated Citric Acid
    19mm Collagen Casings
    2 Quarts Ice Cold Water
    Would I use more water since i’m using carrot fiber?
    Would I mix the sure cure and carrot fiber with the water?
    Thanks

• Walton's Employee

@harpo79 No, mix both the cure and the carrot fiber in with the meat and add the water, doing it the other way wont really hurt anything there is just no need and the carrot fiber might bind up the cure too efficiently. For water just use the 2 qts, that is more than enough. Using more won’t help your bind and it will increase your cook time. Remember if you are using encapsulated citric acid to go right to the smoker!

I hope this wasn’t too late to help!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• C

@weatherbow21 I agree with Jonathon of several points. I have been making snack sticks and summer sausage for years and I have scrapped my fair share of batches. There is certainly a difference between wild game and beef or pork from the store. My advice on this, buy a 10lb “log” of 80/20 from Sam’s. This takes out the grinding and having to mix in the right amount of fat. I have made several successful batches this way. BE PATIENT! The more meat you have in the smoker, the longer it is going to take, however, you will find that your temps will fluctuate less. If you get impatient and crank up the heat, you increase your chances of “fatting out”. Been there, done that.
    You don’t have to put the entire batch in the smoker at one time as long as you are not using citric acid. Put in a few pounds, follow the temp settings in the recipe, and you will likely have good results in 4-5 hours max. I never set my smokers above 170, but I may try since I am seeing 175 a lot in the Walton’s recipes.
    For a binder, I always use soy protein, but the type of binder that you use is based on your preference. I never make a batch without it.
    I also document everything from start to finish. I find this helps me to remember not to leave ingredients out of my recipe. It sucks when you get done stuffing and then find your bag of cheese still sitting on the counter. ☹ I document my temp settings, time of day, internal temp, smoke on, smoke off, etc. and I do this with every batch I make. You can then record your results, flavor, texture, presentation. I often go back through my notes just skimming results to see what worked and what didn’t, especially if I am trying a new recipe. If you are fairly new to sausage making and you are not busting casings during the stuffing process, you might not be packing them tight enough. You definitely do not want to under stuff. You will get unsightly fat deposits between the meat and the casing. Don’t give up!

read more
  • B

I used the carrot fiber at rate suggested and my homemade 60/40 pork/venison sausage came out dry…was really disappointing…any idea what happened?

read more
  • C

I want to smoke some turkey necks this weekend to use as seasoning meat. I want to smoke them at around 165-170° (smoker temp) so I can get maximum smoke before they are cooked internally. I know with sausage you have to cure at these temps. What about turkey necks? Are they safe to smoke without any sort of cure with the pit temp being around 160-170°?

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics