Cheese! Will It BBQ?

• Walton's Employee

Smoked Parmesan

Will it BBQ? Cheese!

In this segment we pose the question and the answer to Will it BBQ? So much more than just hamburgers, hot dogs, and other meats can be BBQ'd, Grilled, or Smoked. And, this is where we try out unique ideas for cooking on a grill or smoker. This week we are Cold Smoking Cheese and letting you know if it will BBQ or not!!

Prep Time

5 min

Cook Time

60 minutes

Ingredients

Cheddar Cheese
    Parmesan Cheese
    Bleu Cheese

Utensils Needed

The Flip Professional Smoke Box
    Premium Smoking Chips - Coarse

Instructions

Cold smoking is adding smoke to something and not adding any heat. We did it using a Flip Professional Smoke Box in a Weston 30" Vertical Smoker and placed it on the bottom of the smoker and put our cheese on the top shelf too keep it as far away from the heat source as possible. We lit the chips, opened the side vents all the way and the top vent 1/2 way and smoked it for an hour. When we took them out of the smoker we vac packed them and kept them in our fridge for a week to let the smoke mellow out a little bit.

So, Will it BBQ?

Obviously smoked cheese is a thing alot of people like. We wanted to see if it was easy to do at home and it was. Smoking cheese at home gave us at least as good results as what you are going to buy at the store and it allows you to control how smokey you want your cheese!

Shop Walton’s for Weston 30" Vertical Smoker

PK 100 Pro Smoker Smokehouse

PK-100

Apple Maple Bacon Jam

Bacon Jam

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @Jonathon
    We’ll that was the first thing that came to mind the first batch i ever made. had a cold beer in hand and was sampling one and closed my eyes to savor the moment and the smoke aroma smelled just like i had a lit cigar in my mouth thus the term [meat cigars]

read more
  • @Jonathon Was there another thread or topic that addressed glycerine and using a vacuum tumbler?

read more
  • C

@doug7777 142 degrees is a stalling point where the fat starts to render. I used to get very impatient and start cranking up the heat to get the INT to go up. That usually results in burning all the fat out of the snack sticks. Be patient. The temp will eventually start to rise again. Once it does, it will continue to do so at a steady pace. I have had snack sticks in the smoker for 24 hours or better due to having 25lbs hanging at one time. I have also had 4-5 lbs at a time in the smoker only take 4-5 hours total.

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics