Hot dogs / Brat dogs

• Has anyone ever thought of taking any of Walton’s seasoning and instead of using the casing for like a regular size brat using like a hot dog casing… i have children and sometimes a brat is just to big so i was thinking of hot dog size

• Regular Contributors

Certainly! You can use whatever size casing you like. If you want skinless the 26mm cellulose works awesome. I use the pre-tubed 24-26mm if you want natural casings. I don’t think the kids would like the collegan. If they are used to eating regular hotdogs I would use the cellulose. We stuff and simmer them in the turkey fryer, water cool, then vacuum seal. I use Waltons casings exclusively now they are the best that I’ve used.

• @parksider how long u simmer them for

• Regular Contributors

Until they reach 160F. I try not to let the water get over 180F.

• @parksider so maybe 10 mins

• Regular Contributors

We’ve been throwing the dogs in the smoker recently so i get a good jump start on the temp there. Yeah, 10-20 minutes sounds about right if you are just going to simmer them. I really focus on temp, use my insta-read thermometer. I also raise and lower the strainer basket every couple minutes to keep the water circulating and not getting cold spots.

• Admin

If you are keeping the water under a boil, you might think about trying a sous vide circulator. We’ve been using them here on quite a few different products and having a lot of fun and good results with them. Temperature control is extremely precise, and you don’t have to worry about cold spots since it automatically circulates the water.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/equipment/sous-vide

We have been using the VacMaster SV1 and it works great! A couple less expensive models will be coming out very soon too from Weston. The SV1 will work with up to a 30 liter container of water, if that is comparable in size to what you are using in a turkey fryer.

We also just might be giving away a couple of the VacMaster SV1 Circulators in May… Keep an eye on our YouTube channel the first of next week…

• Regular Contributors

@Austin
    Geez…never thought of that… mine is sitting on a shelf in the closet, never really got the hang of it. Meat was either too mushy or something. I did have some good luck with flank steak but that’s about it. I’m going to give that try.

• Regular Contributors

You guys familiar with Brio 22 meat bandsaw? One for sale locally and it looks like it has some miles on it. But I think we are going to need one, our farmer just had a bunch of calves and we are looking at doing our own butchering.

• Admin

@parksider
    We are familiar with them. We used to sell Biro saws, but now sell Pro-Cut and Butcher Boy.
    We still do service work on Biro machines, and can get parts for them.
    We keep some of our parts listed online (https://www.waltonsinc.com/parts/saw-parts/biro-saw-parts), but if you end up getting a used machine, our service department could be able to help get replacement parts on things that are getting old and worn out, if you need any assistance there.

Biro does make good band saws, so if you can find a good used one it wouldn’t be a bad choice, just depends on what kind of shape it is in. If you have a specific question on one, let us know and we’ll see if one of our service guys can provide any other info.

• @medeling32 Yes, I do it all the time. The casings are softer, smaller and I like them better that way. I use the pizza brat seasoning. Your reason is the same as mine. Sometimes I just want a dog and fries. Yea, I boil them then a quick toasting n the grill to brown them up. Geo.

Recent Posts

• @TinCupTom I agree with both @bobing195-7 and @ed-jordan in regards to the H Summer, great tasting Summer Sausage without being too strong or having any real heat.

Just so you know, in case you were looking for it and couldn’t find it, the ingredients are listed on the products web page. Just scroll down and click the “Additional Info” tab and it will show up.

The W Summer (4550300082) might be the most mild of all the ones you listed. That doesn’t make it bad at all just a very mild flavor

Summer 107 (4550300032) Similar to H, contains mustard seed but I don’t think it is whole.

Summer Sausage Seasoning (4550300012) Very similar to the 107 in flavor, has whole mustard seed.

H - Summer (G4550300070) is our best selling Summer Sausage Seasoning, contains whole mustard seed. If you are looking for a peppery seasoning this is the best one to use for a base and add some black pepper. This would be the basic summer seasoning favored by most employees and customer.

Another option, if you are making 100 lb batches or don’t mind breaking down the seasoning into smaller batches, would be the Ton’s Summer Seasoning (4550806642) It has a very good flavor and is pretty peppery if I remember correctly, I pepper is listed higher in the ingredients list than any of the others… Of all of the basic Summer Sausage seasonings (excluding ones like Jalapeno and Habanero BBQ) this is the second best scoring one amongst employees.

read more
  • E

@tincuptom i can only speak to the H summer sausage seasoning, but it has a lot better taste than the backwoods. Not a lot of pepper (you could add more I am sure) but it is a good solid flavor profile. I did not use the ECA for the tang, but plan on doing it this week in a batch. You can’t go wrong with the H seasoning!

read more
  • B

I have been in search for a summer sausage seasoning with black pepper but couldn’t find one. I’m new at this so the H Summer Sausage is the only one I have used so I can’t give you any comparisons with the other 3, but you mentioned black pepper so thought I would share my first experience.
    So I used Waltons H Summer Sausage and mixed in about a quarter cup of fine black pepper. I liked the results and several others did as well. It had a light pepper taste and I probably will add a little more in the next batch for a slightly stronger flavor. I used 25 lbs of venison and 4lbs of beef fat to keep it on the leaner side. Good luck, Bob

read more
  • S

thanks. As it turned out I did use a pork butt, cost only $1.48/# on sale and pork fat appears to be running about 50 cents more. Pure fat is a lot harder to come by, guessing because there is just less of it – supply and demand. One recipe I was using called out pork fat and I directly substituted the ground pork butt and it tasted fine even at a 25% ratio. The other sausage experimental batch I made with 50% and it is even better. So, 50/50 is the future now. thanks for your input folks!

read more
  • S

excellent, thanks.

read more
  • @Jeff-Allen While the 26 and 33 lb sausage stuffers absolutely will make 19mm snack sticks the reduced size of the piston on the 11 lb model does make it easier. I have made snack sticks with all of the sizes and especially when you are working by yourself the 11 lb is easier to do.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.