Chicken Brats Made From Thigh Meat

• Walton's Employee

Meat Hacks: Chicken Thigh Brats?

Learn what happens when we use chicken thighs instead of breasts to make bratwurst with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Chicken Thigh Brats

Meat Hacks

Using Chicken Thighs for Bratwurst
    On the community section of meatgistics.com the user knuclehead BBQ was talking about how he likes to use chicken thighs as they have a higher fat content and are generally less expensive. I’ve done this once before but it has been a few years so I wanted to do a video on the process to show you guys what the differences are in the process and in the finished product.

To start I bought some chicken thighs with the skin on them so I need to bone them out, take the skin off and then I need to weigh them again to know how much meat I am working with. Since I am going to grind this I’m not too worried about how I get the chicken off the bone but basically what we want to do is to expose the bone by making slices on either side of the bone and then you will be able to get your knife behind it to cut it away from the rest of the meat. I’m removing the majority of the skin but we aren’t too worried about a little bit of skin making it in as we are grinding it.

Grinding

I am going to grind this twice first through a 3/8th plate and then through a 3/16th plate. I’ve oiled the plate and knife before starting the grinder to prevent the plate and knife from creating too much friction which will heat the plate and it will help extend the life of the plate and knife. As always we want to make sure our meat is cold before it goes through the grinder, this will speed up the grinding and obviously keeping meat cold is good for food safety. The speed of the second grind is always going to be a little bit slower than the first but it’s not taking too long.

Mixing

Since I don’t need protein extraction for this I am going to mix in the seasonings and additives by hand. After deboning this we have 3 lb so we need 2 and 1/4 oz of seasoning, 1/2 an oz of carrot fiber, 1/4 of an oz of cold phosphate, 3 oz of water and just over a 1/4 lb of cheese. I am going to add the cheese during the last stage of mixing to prevent smearing it. Since I am using cold phosphate I am using about 1.5 times the amount of water I normally would with bratwursts, you don’t have to do this but it the increased water holding capacity of the meat means it should be able to handle it and it will make stuffing easier.

Stuffing

I have loaded the stuffer being careful not to create any air pockets and I am using 30mm fresh collagen. I’ve selected the largest stuffing tube that my casings will fit over and am ready to stuff. My hand is gripped around the tube near the opening and I am applying gentle pressure so that the casing is still able to flow off of the tube but it is filling the casing nicely. If I was to use too little pressure the casing would be understuffed like this, or if I used too much I would either get a blowout or backflow. Backflow is when the meat comes up and around the tube instead of out into the casing.

Grilling

I’ve grilled these and for anyone wondering I like to start chicken brats out around 275 for about 5 minutes before turning the grill up to 350 t finish them off. This prevents them from cooking too fast and popping the casing and helps preventing them from over drying.

Wrap Up

So using chicken thighs instead of breasts gave us a nice juicy product and adding the carrot fiber and cold phosphate helped even more so these are practically bursting with juice! Also the South of the Border Cheddarwurst is awesome for people who like a little bit of heat but don’t want something really hot. It’s got a great flavor and a decent amount of heat without it being overpowering at all. This is a brand new seasoning and it should absolutely become a Walton’s favorite in no time.

I think the taste difference was significant, I came back a few days later and made a few more lb from chicken breast and yes the chicken thighs absolutely make a better tasting finished product than using just breasts!

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for 30mm Clear Collagen

Shop waltonsinc.com for Weston Pro-1100 Vacuum Sealer

Subscribe to WaltonsTV on YouTube

Smoked Collagen

17mm Smoked Collagen for Snack Sticks

Chambered Vacuum Bags

Weston Meat Mixers

• When using cold phosphates with a fresh product, do you have to hold overnight before cooking? I have used the same techniques above for ground jerky and snack sticks (of course with the addition of pink sure cure), held overnight and then smoked to great success. How fast acting are cold phosphate’s properties to drop the level of ph? When should a fresh product be ready to cook?

• Admin

@stanca
    You do not need to hold a product overnight with cold phosphate. You only hold a product like jerky or snack sticks because of the cure, not phosphates.

Also cold phosphate will not drop the pH. It actually does the opposite and it can increase the pH of meat by a couple points. Maybe 0.1 to 0.3 or so increase in pH value.

If you are making a fresh product, as soon as you stuff the sausage and twist link, you are fine to throw them on the grill right then and there! You can cook immediately.

• @austin Gracias! No sweat then! I will be making the Excalibur Asian Sriracha with the High Temp Sriracha Cheese for a last minute party this evening. Spicing the thigh meat at 125% (20 lb of thigh meat for 1.18 lb seasoning) with carrot binder and cold phosphates. All is right in the world again. Cheers!

Recent Posts

• @TinCupTom I agree with both @bobing195-7 and @ed-jordan in regards to the H Summer, great tasting Summer Sausage without being too strong or having any real heat.

Just so you know, in case you were looking for it and couldn’t find it, the ingredients are listed on the products web page. Just scroll down and click the “Additional Info” tab and it will show up.

The W Summer (4550300082) might be the most mild of all the ones you listed. That doesn’t make it bad at all just a very mild flavor

Summer 107 (4550300032) Similar to H, contains mustard seed but I don’t think it is whole.

Summer Sausage Seasoning (4550300012) Very similar to the 107 in flavor, has whole mustard seed.

H - Summer (G4550300070) is our best selling Summer Sausage Seasoning, contains whole mustard seed. If you are looking for a peppery seasoning this is the best one to use for a base and add some black pepper. This would be the basic summer seasoning favored by most employees and customer.

Another option, if you are making 100 lb batches or don’t mind breaking down the seasoning into smaller batches, would be the Ton’s Summer Seasoning (4550806642) It has a very good flavor and is pretty peppery if I remember correctly, I pepper is listed higher in the ingredients list than any of the others… Of all of the basic Summer Sausage seasonings (excluding ones like Jalapeno and Habanero BBQ) this is the second best scoring one amongst employees.

read more
  • E

@tincuptom i can only speak to the H summer sausage seasoning, but it has a lot better taste than the backwoods. Not a lot of pepper (you could add more I am sure) but it is a good solid flavor profile. I did not use the ECA for the tang, but plan on doing it this week in a batch. You can’t go wrong with the H seasoning!

read more
  • B

I have been in search for a summer sausage seasoning with black pepper but couldn’t find one. I’m new at this so the H Summer Sausage is the only one I have used so I can’t give you any comparisons with the other 3, but you mentioned black pepper so thought I would share my first experience.
    So I used Waltons H Summer Sausage and mixed in about a quarter cup of fine black pepper. I liked the results and several others did as well. It had a light pepper taste and I probably will add a little more in the next batch for a slightly stronger flavor. I used 25 lbs of venison and 4lbs of beef fat to keep it on the leaner side. Good luck, Bob

read more
  • S

thanks. As it turned out I did use a pork butt, cost only $1.48/# on sale and pork fat appears to be running about 50 cents more. Pure fat is a lot harder to come by, guessing because there is just less of it – supply and demand. One recipe I was using called out pork fat and I directly substituted the ground pork butt and it tasted fine even at a 25% ratio. The other sausage experimental batch I made with 50% and it is even better. So, 50/50 is the future now. thanks for your input folks!

read more
  • S

excellent, thanks.

read more
  • @Jeff-Allen While the 26 and 33 lb sausage stuffers absolutely will make 19mm snack sticks the reduced size of the piston on the 11 lb model does make it easier. I have made snack sticks with all of the sizes and especially when you are working by yourself the 11 lb is easier to do.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.