How To Make Pulled Pork - Recipe

• Walton's Employee

Pulled Pork Sandwiches
    Pulled Pork Recipe
    Pulled Pork Recipe
    Pulled Pork Recipe

How to Make Pulled Pork

Learn how to make Pulled Pork with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Pulled Pork?

Pulled Pork is normally made by smoking or cooking a Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder up to an internal temperature of about 190°. Cooking it up to this temperature breaks down the collagen and connective tissue within the pork and gives you the classic pulled pork texture.

Meat Block

Pork Shoulder or Pork Butt

Additives

Soluble Pa’s Black Bull
    Southwest Mesquite Rub
    Butter Flavored Seasoning
    Texas Style Rump Rub

Process

We are going to do two types today, one we are going to smoke and the other we are going to cook with our Vacmaster SV1 Sous Vide Cooker, for both of these we will be using our new Waltons Automatic Syringe Injector.

For the smoked one we are going to inject it with Soluble Pa’s Black Bull Seasoning and we’ll rub the outside with Smokehouse BBQ Seasoning. A quick note here, when you are choosing a seasoning to inject or marinate meat look for something that contains phosphates, they increase the water holding capacity of your meat so you will have a juicier finished product.

We will dissolve 6.2 oz of the seasoning in 2 quart of water and then inject the Butt with as much as it will hold. If you like a lighter flavored pulled pork then you can inject smaller amounts, its not a cure so feel free to use as much or as little as you want. Once this has been fully injected we will start smoking it. Now, it’s a large thick cut so it is going to take anywhere from 8-10 hours for it to reach the 190°.

For our Sous Vide Pork Butt we are going to inject it with Butter Flavored Seasoning & Marinade and rub the outside with the Texas Style Rump Rub. We will dissolve the seasoning in a quart of water and then we will inject it until we have increased the starting weight by at least 10% or until the Butt will not hold anymore water. Next we are going to vacuum pack it and Sous Vide cook it at 165° for 24 or so hours and then we will see if cooking it at this temperature for this long will still give us that nice pulled pork texture.

Thermal Processing & Smoking

Smoke at 220° until internal temp is 190°
    OR
    Sous Vide at 165° for 22 hours and then increase to 190° for 2 hours.

Cooling

If you have cooked your pork long enough and gotten it to the right temperature you should be able to slide the bone out fairly easily and then use something like these Heat Resistant Gloves and just pull it apart by hand. If not you can use Man Claws or a Pork Puller.

Wrap up

So, all in all both were great ways to do pulled pork, the Sous Vide was a little simpler and required no baby sitting of any kind but in general I liked the traditional smoked pulled pork a little bit better.

Additional Tips

• Another thing to remember is as you heat up anything under vacuum the gas will expand so you wont have a 100% vacuum
    • We intentionally overpumped this so a lot of liquid cooked out during the process, which was fine as it was in the bag so it just cooked it in that liquid.

Watch WaltonsTV: How To Make Pulled Pork

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @renaldo No you are right! For some reason I thought you were doing a 25 lb batch! For 7 lb the correct amount of carrot fiber would be 1.1 oz and for water don’t use more than 16 oz.

read more
  • R

@jonathon
    4 ounces of carrot fiber for 7 pounds of meat? Seems like too much carrot fiber for that amount of meat. But, I have been, and probably am wrong here.

read more
  • @Denny There is a guy here who does Lingua occasionally but he is at the AAMP (Association of American Meat Processors) Convention right now. I sent him an email so hopefully he has some time to give me his recipe because it was very tender. If not now then he will be back Monday.

read more
  • VP 215 Weekly Blog Post - Linking Sausage, Maintenance for the VP215

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Sausage Linking - In this video we go over a few different ways to link sausages and brats. We try to give step by step instructions while keeping things simple. At the end of the video we showed an advanced technique and you might notice it’s not me who is linking those!

Maintenance on the VP 215 - The VP 215 is a great vacuum machine for both the heavy home user or lighter commercial use. It is a chambered machine which means the entire bag goes into the chamber for vacuuming and sealing. It does need to have its oil changed periodically though, in this video we go over how to do that and how often it should be done.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are working on some Dry Cured Salami, Pepperoni and Chorizo. We will be releasing a video on this with instructions and some of the science behind it in the upcoming months, hopefully before hunting season begins in earnest. We are getting closer to having Meatgistics University ready to release. It should be ready by fall, we will release it once we have all of the basic courses filmed and edited.

What’s on our Mind?

There are a lot of things to keep in mind when you are purchasing meat from the grocery store and depending on what you are going to do with the product you need to pay attention to different things. If you are buying meat or chicken to marinade then you should look for meat that has not been pumped full of water. Most bargain chicken breast you purchase will be pumped up to as much as 15%, well if it is already pumped then it is not going to pick up much more of the seasoning or solution. I purchased some chicken and pork the other day to try some new marinades and to buy chicken without any water added it was around $6 a lb, it was worth it though as it took up far more of the seasoning than normal chicken and pork would have.

Also keep an eye out for Ali at AAMP and her Twitter, Instagram and Facebook posts about the latest in meat processing and what Walton’s employees are doing there!

New Products

General Tso Marinade I am almost positive I have found my new favorite Marinade for both Chicken and Especially Pork! We tried a sample of this the other day from Excalibur Seasonings and it was an instant favorite. It has a nice mix of sweetness with a little bit or red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat. If you are like me and order General Tsos chicken (hold the broccoli) anytime you order Chinese Food then this is a MUST buy! We will have it in stock in a few weeks and it has already been set up on the Website.

American BBQ Systems Pit Boss Pit Boss Broil King S 590 S 590

read more
  • @dc2lane For carrot fiber add it to your meat just before, or after, you add the water to mix in the seasoning and cure. For water you can add 2 qt of ice cold water and 4 oz (or a full package, might be just below 4 oz) of carrot fiber. Now, if you are stuffing into larger diameter (19 or 21mm) casings then you don’t really need to add the full 2 qts. It will make stuffing much easier but it will increase your cook time as you will need to cook that out of snack stick during the cooking process.

read more
  • D

I’m making a 7lb batch of willies snack sticks. I am going to use carrot fiber instead of sure gel.
    My question is how do I use the carrot fiber? Do I as it to water or to the meat itself? If I use water how much?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.