sausage stuffer problems

• When I’m trying to stuff summer sausage of snack sticks the seal on my stuffer pops out the top. I am not trying to go to fast or holding the casings to tight. Anyone else have that problem ? How do I stop that from happening ?

• Walton's Employee

@kunze7 Interesting, two things could be the issue. First, are you using white oil or some other food safe lubricant on the gasket before each use? If not then that should fix your problem though you might need a new gasket as if it’s been run without white oil it might have been stressed beyond usefulness. The second thing would be the air relief valve in the piston, make sure it is moving freely and there is nothing interfering with the spring, if that can’t move freely it might be causing your issues.

Let me know if you are doing both of these things already!

• I have not used any kind of oil or lube on the gasket. Some times it works good others not. And the spring on the air vent seems to be fine. Could the meat be to sticky ?

• Walton's Employee

@kunze7 Yes and no, the fat in the meat will eventually lubricate the gasket but initially yes, without lubrication of the gasket if you have a product that has a lot of protein extraction and not a bunch of water that could be part of your issue. However, I think if you start lubricating it with something like white oil your issue will go away. If it keeps happening it is because of the gasket was stressed from being run without lubrication so it might need replacing.

Let me know if you need anything else!

• Walton's Employee

@kunze7 One other possible thing that could be causing your issue is that the gaskets are directional, there is an up and a down on it. You want it oriented with the V pointing down into your cannister.

• Walton's Employee

• the last time i was stuffing sticks, my bleed must have not been open enough, it was building up pressure and when i let go of the crank handle, it flopped around and smacked me in the cheek bone. had that been my nose it would have been broken. i have the 11lb stuffer, i had a different brand before. gave it to my daughter, it was much thicker steel. Sorry i gave it up now. it cranks hard and takes two c clamps to hold it to the table top. had this happened the first time i used it i would have returned it. NOT HAPPY now that i know what that handle can do when ur not expecting. i was stuffing along, which is a handfull in it self.

• @cornpatachguy I had the same problem with mine except it hit me on the back of my hand. These stuffers are not safe and I have quit using mine because of this. My Lemm although smaller than I’d like works very well and the handle does not spin back on me when it’s let go. I have learned that bigger is not always better with stuffers, the pressure generated by trying to take the meat from a large 6" or so tube into a fraction of an inch tube is huge. All of my small casing is stuffed with a 5 pound stuffer. It’s a pain in the neck filling the stuffer so many times but much safer than the flying handle.

Recent Posts

• @medeling32 What @Boudreaux said is perfectly fine. You could make it with anything you want, 100% beef, 100% pork will work too! The biggest thing to know if you are going lower than 20-30% pork is that the texture will be a little different than you might be used to. Pork fat has a creaminess to it that beef fat just does not have, this is why it generally makes the best Sausage and Snack Sticks.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.