How to Make Homemade Roast Beef

• Walton's Employee

Roast Beef

How To Make Homemade Roast Beef

Learn how to make Roast Beef with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Roast Beef?

Roast beef can be made from Eye of the Round, Sirloin or Tri-Tip. It is very popular as both a main meal and is also often made specifically for cold cuts. Eye of the round is not as tender a cut as either Sirloin or a Tri-Tip so unless we process and cook this carefully we could end up with tough roast beef.

Meat Block

Eye of the Round with fat cap attached.

Additives

Butter Flavored Seasoning
    Prime Rib Rub
    Or
    Prime Rib Rub no MSG

Process

We are going to inject this with Butter Flavored soluble seasoning with the Walton’s Syringe Injector. This seasoning can be used on almost any cut of meat, it imparts a great flavor and it already has phosphates in it which will help increase the water holding capacity of the meat which will give us a juicier finished product.

My injection is 1 lb of water and 5 oz of seasoning. The directions say to use this as a 10% pump but since it does not contain any cure I am going to just pump this until it won’t hold anymore. I am going to rub the outside with Prime Rib Rub seasoning, I want to really coat the outside with this since I am going to be slicing it thin and I won’t be getting much of the outside on each slice.

Marinating

Next I am going to vacuum pack it and let it marinate overnight. Since it is so large I am using one of our Vacmaster suction sealers and a vac bag roll. I create the size bag I need by slicing the roll and then sealing one side of the bag, then I place my meat inside and seal the bag. Let this sit overnight and be ready to smoke it in the morning.

Note

If you cannot inject or vacuum pack you might want to let it sit in the marinade longer than 12 hours. If you can let it sit a full 24 hours it will pick up and retain more of the seasoning.

If you do not have a way to control humidity in your smoker then add a water pan and cook at 240° until internal temp is 140° for 12 minutes.

Thermal Processing & Smoking

Stage 1 - 120° - 30 Minutes RH 0
    Stage 2 - 140° - 60 Minutes RH 60
    Stage 3 - 160° - 30 Minutes RH 60
    Stage 4 - 180° Until internal temp is 140° for 12 minutes

Cooling

Serve right away for traditional meal.

For cold cuts let it sit out at room temperature for an hour before moving to a cooler. For best results let it sit in cooler overnight before slicing for cold cuts.

Wrap up

All in all this was very easy to do and we were able to achieve very similar results with cooking it in our small smoker as we did with our professional smokehouse. The ability to accurately control humidity in the large smokehouse did allow us to cook quicker but the result was similar.

Additional Tips

• If I was making this just for myself I would have stopped at 130° because I like it extra bloody.

Watch WaltonsTV: How To Make Homemade Roast Beef

Shop waltonsinc.com for Dry Marinades

Shop waltonsinc.com for Dry Rubs

Shop waltonsinc.com for Vacuum Sealers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Walton’s Syringe Injector

Recent Posts

• @TinCupTom I agree with both @bobing195-7 and @ed-jordan in regards to the H Summer, great tasting Summer Sausage without being too strong or having any real heat.

Just so you know, in case you were looking for it and couldn’t find it, the ingredients are listed on the products web page. Just scroll down and click the “Additional Info” tab and it will show up.

The W Summer (4550300082) might be the most mild of all the ones you listed. That doesn’t make it bad at all just a very mild flavor

Summer 107 (4550300032) Similar to H, contains mustard seed but I don’t think it is whole.

Summer Sausage Seasoning (4550300012) Very similar to the 107 in flavor, has whole mustard seed.

H - Summer (G4550300070) is our best selling Summer Sausage Seasoning, contains whole mustard seed. If you are looking for a peppery seasoning this is the best one to use for a base and add some black pepper. This would be the basic summer seasoning favored by most employees and customer.

Another option, if you are making 100 lb batches or don’t mind breaking down the seasoning into smaller batches, would be the Ton’s Summer Seasoning (4550806642) It has a very good flavor and is pretty peppery if I remember correctly, I pepper is listed higher in the ingredients list than any of the others… Of all of the basic Summer Sausage seasonings (excluding ones like Jalapeno and Habanero BBQ) this is the second best scoring one amongst employees.

read more
  • E

@tincuptom i can only speak to the H summer sausage seasoning, but it has a lot better taste than the backwoods. Not a lot of pepper (you could add more I am sure) but it is a good solid flavor profile. I did not use the ECA for the tang, but plan on doing it this week in a batch. You can’t go wrong with the H seasoning!

read more
  • B

I have been in search for a summer sausage seasoning with black pepper but couldn’t find one. I’m new at this so the H Summer Sausage is the only one I have used so I can’t give you any comparisons with the other 3, but you mentioned black pepper so thought I would share my first experience.
    So I used Waltons H Summer Sausage and mixed in about a quarter cup of fine black pepper. I liked the results and several others did as well. It had a light pepper taste and I probably will add a little more in the next batch for a slightly stronger flavor. I used 25 lbs of venison and 4lbs of beef fat to keep it on the leaner side. Good luck, Bob

read more
  • S

thanks. As it turned out I did use a pork butt, cost only $1.48/# on sale and pork fat appears to be running about 50 cents more. Pure fat is a lot harder to come by, guessing because there is just less of it – supply and demand. One recipe I was using called out pork fat and I directly substituted the ground pork butt and it tasted fine even at a 25% ratio. The other sausage experimental batch I made with 50% and it is even better. So, 50/50 is the future now. thanks for your input folks!

read more
  • S

excellent, thanks.

read more
  • @Jeff-Allen While the 26 and 33 lb sausage stuffers absolutely will make 19mm snack sticks the reduced size of the piston on the 11 lb model does make it easier. I have made snack sticks with all of the sizes and especially when you are working by yourself the 11 lb is easier to do.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.