How to Make Homemade Roast Beef

• Walton's Employee

Roast Beef

How To Make Homemade Roast Beef

Learn how to make Roast Beef with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Roast Beef?

Roast beef can be made from Eye of the Round, Sirloin or Tri-Tip. It is very popular as both a main meal and is also often made specifically for cold cuts. Eye of the round is not as tender a cut as either Sirloin or a Tri-Tip so unless we process and cook this carefully we could end up with tough roast beef.

Meat Block

Eye of the Round with fat cap attached.

Additives

Butter Flavored Seasoning
    Prime Rib Rub
    Or
    Prime Rib Rub no MSG

Process

We are going to inject this with Butter Flavored soluble seasoning with the Walton’s Syringe Injector. This seasoning can be used on almost any cut of meat, it imparts a great flavor and it already has phosphates in it which will help increase the water holding capacity of the meat which will give us a juicier finished product.

My injection is 1 lb of water and 5 oz of seasoning. The directions say to use this as a 10% pump but since it does not contain any cure I am going to just pump this until it won’t hold anymore. I am going to rub the outside with Prime Rib Rub seasoning, I want to really coat the outside with this since I am going to be slicing it thin and I won’t be getting much of the outside on each slice.

Marinating

Next I am going to vacuum pack it and let it marinate overnight. Since it is so large I am using one of our Vacmaster suction sealers and a vac bag roll. I create the size bag I need by slicing the roll and then sealing one side of the bag, then I place my meat inside and seal the bag. Let this sit overnight and be ready to smoke it in the morning.

Note

If you cannot inject or vacuum pack you might want to let it sit in the marinade longer than 12 hours. If you can let it sit a full 24 hours it will pick up and retain more of the seasoning.

If you do not have a way to control humidity in your smoker then add a water pan and cook at 240° until internal temp is 140° for 12 minutes.

Thermal Processing & Smoking

Stage 1 - 120° - 30 Minutes RH 0
    Stage 2 - 140° - 60 Minutes RH 60
    Stage 3 - 160° - 30 Minutes RH 60
    Stage 4 - 180° Until internal temp is 140° for 12 minutes

Cooling

Serve right away for traditional meal.

For cold cuts let it sit out at room temperature for an hour before moving to a cooler. For best results let it sit in cooler overnight before slicing for cold cuts.

Wrap up

All in all this was very easy to do and we were able to achieve very similar results with cooking it in our small smoker as we did with our professional smokehouse. The ability to accurately control humidity in the large smokehouse did allow us to cook quicker but the result was similar.

Additional Tips

• If I was making this just for myself I would have stopped at 130° because I like it extra bloody.

Watch WaltonsTV: How To Make Homemade Roast Beef

Shop waltonsinc.com for Dry Marinades

Shop waltonsinc.com for Dry Rubs

Shop waltonsinc.com for Vacuum Sealers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Walton’s Syringe Injector

Active Users

Recent Posts

• J

Hello from Alpine, Texas.

read more
  • G

Hello Everyone,
    Gary T. From Branford CT, I’ve been making jerky for some 30 years now, not sure how I missed Waltons site but I’m glad I found it, great to see all the videos tips and forums.

Trying the Waltons BOLD Jerky seasoning today in a restructured mix, I normally try a mix as is the 1st time then alter to my taste later on, I needs TONS of flavor so I’m hoping this one does the trick. I also bought the Teriyaki & Cajun to try.

Thanks for the invite. Gary T.
    0_1532271771994_20180715_141005-1.jpg

read more
  • G

Hi Guys,
    Quick question? Why is it NOT recommended to mix your cure and seasoning until it’s ready to be used??

Because the Excalibur Jerky Seasoning comes in bags suited to use 25# of meat I wanted to break it down into smaller mixing batches, I know I don’t mix 25# of meat at a time, I usually cut it in half for 12.5# each. Anyway I’d really like to mix all the cure and seasoning once then break in down for smaller batches of meat for later use, also when I say later I only mean like 1-3 months.
    Thanks Gary T.

read more
  • D

This is my tounge recipe. I get the tounge usually from people I work with that buy freezer beef from a farmer. They usually throw them out or feed them to the dog. NO WAY. Here is how I process the tounge.

Rinse the tounge well as it is dipped in a antiseptic. State law I think. Lay it out on your cutting board. Cut the tounge into at just back from where it tarts to narrow as the narrow part of the tounge has very little meat . Now take your sharp fillet knife and skin the little well marbled roast. Now lets make the juice. I like to use Mrs. Smiths dill pickle / Jalapeno mix follow the directions on the mix.
    Then smoke it with your favorite wood till the internal temp for beef reaches 160 degrees . I then remove from the smoker and let cool for 20 minutes. I then cut the tounge into chunks about the size of sugar cubes and pack into a qt. jar. I then slice a Vidallia onion into rings and add to the qt. jar. I pour the pickling spice over it covering all of the tounge and onion. Install a lid and refrigerate for 2 days and enjoy. I take this to work and always bring home a empty jar. Another version is brad and butter pickle mix.

read more
  • W

@Austin
    Haysville Ks. Smoking and grilling for 10 years. Limited meat processing about 8 years

read more
  • Most recipes I’ve researched suggest an IT of 152° - 155°. My question is, what’s the most efficient method of taking the IT of a snack stick. Should I use a probe and slide it into the center of one of the snack sticks hanging in the smoker? Is it better to slide the probe into the top of a snack stick as it hangs or up from the bottom? Thanks in advance for your help!

AJ

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.