Why the Powdered Milk?

• We’ve been experimenting with snack stick recipes using powdered milk and eliminating it. It doesn’t seem to make any difference in taste or production, so what is the purpose of the dry (powdered) milk in a snack stick recipe? Thanks!!

• Walton's Employee

@Bobmead Most people will use it as a way to increase moisture retention. If your product has enough fat content you really don’t need it. I add carrot fiber to most things I make because it is inexpensive and it gives me a more moist product and offers some yield enhancement. I’m not sure if the Powdered Milk gives you yield enhancement as well.

Anyone use it often?

• Power User

@jonathon
    We never use it in snack sticks. We use 50/50 venison and pork butt mix. Always come out juicy. Just don’t overcook them in the smoker.

Active Users

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    Might have to check into that attachment. Thanks.

read more
  • @PapaSop I added the cold smoker attachment to my MB40…I stopped using the regular chip tray the same day I installed it and I’ve yet to go back.

read more
  • @pauliedmondsjr
    LOL. Everything is better with smoke on it. I have two MB smokers. Have had issues with chips catching fire thus raising the internal temperature and way to much smoke. Thought this would help moving the smoke source away from the burner(using LP). Thanks for the suggestions.

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics