Meat Hacks: The Best Way to Cook Pheasant?

• Walton's Employee

Meat Hacks: The Best Way to Cook Pheasant?

Learn the Best Way to Cook Pheasant with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

Meat Hacks

As any hunting enthusiast knows cooking wild game presents a few more challenges than cooking a farm raised store bought cut of meat. These are animals that lived in the wild on different diets than what they are fed when raised on a farm. They tend to be a little tougher and can have a gamey taste to them this doesn’t mean that we should just accept that they will give us an inferior finished product though.

We’ve had some pheasant sitting in a freezer here for a while and today we are going to prepare and cook them a few different ways and see which one gives us the best results. We have 16 breasts so we are going to Smoke half of them and Sous Vide the other half. We are going to marinate a few of them overnight in butter flavored seasoning which has phosphates to increase the water holding capacity of the meat and then rub them with a few different seasonings. We are also going to marinade two of them with the Kentucky bourbon Spirited Sauce and two in the Smokey Habanero Chipotle sauce and then smoke and sous vide one of each and see which marinade and which cooking method we liked the best.

Now since this is pheasant we do need to get the internal temp up to 165° for food safety so we are going to set our sous vide for 165° and cook them for 4 hours. This will give us our lethality and make the meat nice and tender. For smoking we are going to smoke them at 225° until the internal temp is 165° which should take about 2 hours and we will smoke them over apple woodchips.

The ones we smoked came out tasty but very dry, this is pretty common when smoking pheasant. The ones that were smoked and marinated with phosphates did retain some extra juice but they were still more dry than I would normally prefer.

The Pheasant Breasts that we Sous Vide however were very tender and plump! The ones that we marinated with Phosphate definitely did retain some extra moisture but either way they were still great and far more tender (and tasty) than the smoked ones. Another unintended consequence of Sous Videing then was that some of the gamey taste seemed to go away.

All in all if you have a way to Sous Vide your Pheasant or other birds it is absolutely worth it!

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Vacmaster SV1 Sous Vide Cooker

Shop waltonsinc.com for Weston 30" Vertical Smoker

Shop waltonsinc.com for Marinades

Shop waltonsinc.com for Natural Sausage Casings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Fibrous Sausage Casings

19mm Stix Smoke Collagen Sausage Casings

19mm Stix Smoke Collagen Sausage Casings

Walton's Sausage Stuffers

Sausage Stuffers

• Regular Contributors

@jonathon
    Jon I’m shocked that you didn’t lean on your upstate NY past and try Spiedie sauce. We marinate halves of any game birds for 24-48 hours just like chicken and grill over indirect heat, sear to finish. If you cube the breasts and skewer them, they would make a great sandwich. If you need a care package from the ROC, you know who to call…

• @parksider I think Waltons should donate a saw of their choosing for us to do a review on or any of their products for an honest and
    Impartial review.

• @allanmoyer I want to apologize my last post was meant as a joke but for some reason my LOL at the end did not show.

• Walton's Employee

@allanmoyer Haha it’s all good Allan, I don’t even think we stock a Saw anymore, everything is special order these days but man are they useful to have when you need it!

• Walton's Employee

@parksider A bit of an embarrassing fact is that I didn’t really eat wild game (other than venison jerky) when I was in upstate NY! It just wasn’t part of my culture at that point, moving down to Texas and now Kansas has fixed that but what is Spiedie Sauce?

• Regular Contributors

It’s a vinegar, oil, and spice marinade, very popular in upstate NY. Usually chicken cubed in 1"ish pieces and marinaded for a few days, grilled on kabob skewers, and served on a sausage roll. We do halves of game birds, marinade in 2gallon zip locks then indirect grill. Keep some of the marinade to baste with since wild birds are very lean.
    https://www.amazon.com/Salamidas-Original-Spiedie-Sauce-Marinade/dp/B000RY8Z88/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1531511577&sr=1-4-fkmr1&keywords=county+fair+chicken+spiedie

Active Users

Recent Posts

• D

Thanks for the help!

read more
  • @denny I have a recipe for tongue with rice and gravy. Slice the tongue into thick slices about an inch to an inch and a half. Make small incisions in each piece and put a piece of garlic. Season with salt, red pepper and cayenne pepper. In a cast iron pot put a small amount of cooking oil. Brown the tongue on a medium heat stirring often. Occasionally add a little water. Just enough to stop it from sticking. After the meat is browned we’ll remove the tongue and add a couple of large onions. Brown them down will well and add tongue back. Cover the tongue with water and cover. And cook over a Med to high heat. Cook till tinder. You may have to add a few times. Once it’s tender cook it down till the gravy is thick. Serve gravy over white rice. This is how we Cajuns so it. Hope you enjoy.

read more
  • @renaldo No you are right! For some reason I thought you were doing a 25 lb batch! For 7 lb the correct amount of carrot fiber would be 1.1 oz and for water don’t use more than 16 oz.

read more
  • R

@jonathon
    4 ounces of carrot fiber for 7 pounds of meat? Seems like too much carrot fiber for that amount of meat. But, I have been, and probably am wrong here.

read more
  • @Denny There is a guy here who does Lingua occasionally but he is at the AAMP (Association of American Meat Processors) Convention right now. I sent him an email so hopefully he has some time to give me his recipe because it was very tender. If not now then he will be back Monday.

read more
  • VP 215 Weekly Blog Post - Linking Sausage, Maintenance for the VP215

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Sausage Linking - In this video we go over a few different ways to link sausages and brats. We try to give step by step instructions while keeping things simple. At the end of the video we showed an advanced technique and you might notice it’s not me who is linking those!

Maintenance on the VP 215 - The VP 215 is a great vacuum machine for both the heavy home user or lighter commercial use. It is a chambered machine which means the entire bag goes into the chamber for vacuuming and sealing. It does need to have its oil changed periodically though, in this video we go over how to do that and how often it should be done.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are working on some Dry Cured Salami, Pepperoni and Chorizo. We will be releasing a video on this with instructions and some of the science behind it in the upcoming months, hopefully before hunting season begins in earnest. We are getting closer to having Meatgistics University ready to release. It should be ready by fall, we will release it once we have all of the basic courses filmed and edited.

What’s on our Mind?

There are a lot of things to keep in mind when you are purchasing meat from the grocery store and depending on what you are going to do with the product you need to pay attention to different things. If you are buying meat or chicken to marinade then you should look for meat that has not been pumped full of water. Most bargain chicken breast you purchase will be pumped up to as much as 15%, well if it is already pumped then it is not going to pick up much more of the seasoning or solution. I purchased some chicken and pork the other day to try some new marinades and to buy chicken without any water added it was around $6 a lb, it was worth it though as it took up far more of the seasoning than normal chicken and pork would have.

Also keep an eye out for Ali at AAMP and her Twitter, Instagram and Facebook posts about the latest in meat processing and what Walton’s employees are doing there!

New Products

General Tso Marinade I am almost positive I have found my new favorite Marinade for both Chicken and Especially Pork! We tried a sample of this the other day from Excalibur Seasonings and it was an instant favorite. It has a nice mix of sweetness with a little bit or red pepper flakes to give it a hint of heat. If you are like me and order General Tsos chicken (hold the broccoli) anytime you order Chinese Food then this is a MUST buy! We will have it in stock in a few weeks and it has already been set up on the Website.

American BBQ Systems Pit Boss Pit Boss Broil King S 590 S 590

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.