How to Make Homemade Salami

• Walton's Employee

Sliced Salami
    Salami Seasoning

How to Make Salami

Learn how to make Homemade Salami with Walton's and Meatgistics. Read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Salami?

Salami is a type of cured sausage that can be made from pork, beef a combination of the two and can also be made from wild game. It can be fermented and dry cured or cooked and smoked. We are going to use 100% beef so we are going to use our regular Salami Unit, if we were making this out of deer or wild game then the Cotto Salami might be a better choice. We are also going to be using Encapsulated Citric acid to give the meat that nice tang and carrot fiber to help with the bind. If you are making this out of Wild Game I would suggest you also use cold phosphate to increase the water holding capacity of the meat.

Meat Block

25 lb of Eye of the Round

Additives

1 Package (1.4375 lb) of Salami Seasoning
    1 oz of Sure Cure (Included with salami seasoning purchase)
    Fibrous Salami Casings
    2 Quarts of Ice Cold Water

Optional Additives:
    Carrot Fiber
    Encapsulated Citric Acid
    Cold Phosphate

Process

Since this is salami we want to see particle definition in our finished product. That means we want to get our meat cold and keep it cold through the mixing process, once the meat heats up the fat will start to smear and we will lose our chance at a nice looking finished product. This step would be even more important if we were doing a fermented product to allow everything to dry properly but I still want a nice looking product so I put my meat and my head assembly to my grinder in the freezer to get everything cold. I am also going to separate my fat from my lean and grind them separately, I’m just going to cut off the fat cap and then put that back in the freezer until it is time to grind it.

Before I start grinding I am going to soak my Fibrous Salami Casings in warm water to make them nice and pliable to make stuffing easier, they need to soak for about 30 minutes in warm water.

I will grind my lean twice, once through a 3/8" plate and then through a 1/8 plate with our Weston #12 Butcher Series Grinder. Always remember to oil your plates and knives to keep friction and heat down. The fat I am just going to grind once through a 3/8 plate. I ground my fat last so I can go right from the grinding to the mixing without the fat warming up. If I wasn’t able to do this quickly I would put my fat back in the freezer.

Meat Mixing

Now we need to mix the seasoning, cure, carrot fiber and water with our lean meat and mix until we have protein extraction. As soon as the meat starts to get sticky I am going to add my fat and then mix that in for a minute. Then I’ll mix in my Encapsulated Citric Acid and mix it for another 60 seconds.

Sausage Stuffing

Next just stuff them into fibrous salami casings until they are full and smooth. Make sure you leave enough room at the end of each casing to clip them with a Hog Ring. The easiest way to do this at home is to use the Weston Auto Load Hog Ring Pliers

Note

With Salami we will want a longer link than we would with Bratwurst, something around 12-18" each. Either hang your casings on smoke sticks or lay on racks in your smokehouse or oven. Just be sure to leave a slight gap between each salami.

Thermal Processing & Smoking

Stage 1 - 125° F for 1 hour
    Stage 2 - 140° F for 1 hour
    Stage 3 - 155° F for 2 hours
    Stage 4 - 175° F until internal meat temp of 160° F

Cooling

To help set the casing to the meat and also prevent wrinkling we need to shower the Salami or put them in an ice water bath. It should only take around 10 to 15 minutes to get the temperature to drop down. Then, we’ll let them set out for about 1 hour at room temperature before moving to the refrigerator/freezer. After we are totally done with the cooling process, then we will package in vacuum pouches for longer term storage.

Wrap up

Making this type of salami is a simple process, anyone who has made summer sausage before can easily do this, it is very similar and if you don’t care about particle definition it is even simpler.

Additional Tips

• If I was doing this again I would have ground my fat through a 3/16 inch plate instead of 3/8 inch plate to make the fat particles a little smaller. Not because I disliked the size of the fat particles but because of some of the fat rendered out of the meat during the cooking process.
    • The particle definition only affects the appearance though so if you do not care about that, feel free to mix and grind all meat together.
    • You can use collagen casings if you want but it will be a non-edible version which means you will have to soak it for 15 minutes in water that is 15°C and it has to be a 15% salt solution.

Watch WaltonsTV: How to Make Salami

Shop waltonsinc.com for Salami Seasoning

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sausage Stuffers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Meat Mixers

Shop waltonsinc.com for Home Grinders

Recent Posts

• @TinCupTom I agree with both @bobing195-7 and @ed-jordan in regards to the H Summer, great tasting Summer Sausage without being too strong or having any real heat.

Just so you know, in case you were looking for it and couldn’t find it, the ingredients are listed on the products web page. Just scroll down and click the “Additional Info” tab and it will show up.

The W Summer (4550300082) might be the most mild of all the ones you listed. That doesn’t make it bad at all just a very mild flavor

Summer 107 (4550300032) Similar to H, contains mustard seed but I don’t think it is whole.

Summer Sausage Seasoning (4550300012) Very similar to the 107 in flavor, has whole mustard seed.

H - Summer (G4550300070) is our best selling Summer Sausage Seasoning, contains whole mustard seed. If you are looking for a peppery seasoning this is the best one to use for a base and add some black pepper. This would be the basic summer seasoning favored by most employees and customer.

Another option, if you are making 100 lb batches or don’t mind breaking down the seasoning into smaller batches, would be the Ton’s Summer Seasoning (4550806642) It has a very good flavor and is pretty peppery if I remember correctly, I pepper is listed higher in the ingredients list than any of the others… Of all of the basic Summer Sausage seasonings (excluding ones like Jalapeno and Habanero BBQ) this is the second best scoring one amongst employees.

read more
  • E

@tincuptom i can only speak to the H summer sausage seasoning, but it has a lot better taste than the backwoods. Not a lot of pepper (you could add more I am sure) but it is a good solid flavor profile. I did not use the ECA for the tang, but plan on doing it this week in a batch. You can’t go wrong with the H seasoning!

read more
  • B

I have been in search for a summer sausage seasoning with black pepper but couldn’t find one. I’m new at this so the H Summer Sausage is the only one I have used so I can’t give you any comparisons with the other 3, but you mentioned black pepper so thought I would share my first experience.
    So I used Waltons H Summer Sausage and mixed in about a quarter cup of fine black pepper. I liked the results and several others did as well. It had a light pepper taste and I probably will add a little more in the next batch for a slightly stronger flavor. I used 25 lbs of venison and 4lbs of beef fat to keep it on the leaner side. Good luck, Bob

read more
  • S

thanks. As it turned out I did use a pork butt, cost only $1.48/# on sale and pork fat appears to be running about 50 cents more. Pure fat is a lot harder to come by, guessing because there is just less of it – supply and demand. One recipe I was using called out pork fat and I directly substituted the ground pork butt and it tasted fine even at a 25% ratio. The other sausage experimental batch I made with 50% and it is even better. So, 50/50 is the future now. thanks for your input folks!

read more
  • S

excellent, thanks.

read more
  • @Jeff-Allen While the 26 and 33 lb sausage stuffers absolutely will make 19mm snack sticks the reduced size of the piston on the 11 lb model does make it easier. I have made snack sticks with all of the sizes and especially when you are working by yourself the 11 lb is easier to do.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.