Making links in collagen casing

• Hi –
    I’m new to sausage making and recently we made our first attempt at making sausage. We are using collagen casings. Filling the casings was a straightforward process but I think we overfilled them as they burst almost immediately on cooking. Second problem was the links we made simply unwound themselves after we cut them - and even unwound themselves if we cooked them without cutting at the links. So, can I get any advice on how to judge the correct amount of filling before making links and is there anything I can do to make the links actually be links, rather than just cylinders filled with sausage meat?
    Thanks –
    Mike

• Power User

Couple things, collagen is know for not staying linked. You can twist two links together to help they stay. What are you making? As far as overstuffing, it’s a feel thing- what stuffer are you using? Whether it’s off of a stuffer or off of a grinder you just need time to do a better job throttling the speed that the casing comes off with your thumb it comes with experience. Waltons has a number of videos online to help get a better handle on the stuffing is well I’d recommend watching it on with them.

• Walton's Employee

@hbrednek Park Sider (as usual!) pretty much accurately broke it down for you. I love Collagen because it is easier to use than Hog or Sheep casings, no prep is needed and I also like the snap from a fresh collagen more than i like the snap from a hog casing. What I don’t like is exactly what your issue was with linking, they just don’t stay as tightly wrapped, one thing you can do that will help is after you link them and before you cut them put them in a freezer for about an hour. They will still have a tendency to come undone but they will hold a little better.

As for overstuffing it is a “feel” thing. You are most likely using too much pressure when holding the casing on the tube. A slightly understuffed casing is preferable in my opinion as you can simply twist it a few extra times and it will firm up where as an overstuffed casing will pop when you go to twist it.

Recent Posts

• Side note. The only thing I’ve found cumbersome about the 20# mixer is having to turn it by hand. Probably why I bought the 44# mixer and grinder to drive it. I do know if you have the mixing shaft situated a certain way it goes in and out easier. I think the paddle end down on drive end.

read more
  • @raider2119
    Very strange… Never had an issue with mine. Wow.

read more
  • @KansasDad
    My son recently purchased a half from in-laws dairy farm. The steaks were awesome and burger was some of the best I’ve ever had. It was a milk cow at one point. The flavor was unbelievable. Interesting video.

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

9 users active right now (0 members and 9 guests).

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 7.6k posts in 1.4k topics.
We currently have 5.6k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, beckjb.
The most users online at one time was 5081 on Fri May 03 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.