How to Make Homemade Restructured Jerky - Recipe

• Walton's Employee

Gound and Formed Jerky

How to Make Ground and Formed Jerky at Home.

Learn how to make Ground and Formed Jerky with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below.

What Is Ground and Formed Jerky?

The simplest definition of Jerky is just meat that has been cured and dried. There are many different ways to make and process jerky the most common being sliced whole muscle or restructured jerky. I am going to be making a restructured jerky using the Weston #8 black series grinder, a meat mixer, a Walton’s Stuffer with the All-Around Jerky Maker and a smoker to cook and dehydrate it.

Meat Block

15 lb of lean beef

Additives

9.1 oz of Dill Pickle Jerky or Snack Stick Seasoning
    0.6 oz or 3 tsp of Sure Cure (included with purchase of seasoning)
    1.2 oz Smoked Meat Stabilizer

Process

First thing you might want to do is to trim off the fat cap, since we are grinding this and then extruding it this is not 100% necessary and is just a personal preference. I am going to grind this meat twice, first through a 3/8 plate and then through a 1/8 inch plate. You could also use already ground beef purchased from a store if you don’t have a grinder. I’ve cut the meat into small pieces for this smaller #8 grinder. Make sure your plates and knives are sharp and well oiled to reduce stress on both the machine and the meat.

Meat Mixing

Now I am going to mix in the seasoning, cure and Smoked Meat Stabilizer. Smoked Meat Stabilizer should not be used with water, so we did not add any. It will start to gas out almost immediately and this can be very dangerous to breath. With ground and formed jerky some people like to get protein extraction and some do not, I recommend you mix until you have protein extraction for a better texture. So I am using the Weston Meat Mixer.

Extruding

So now I am going to extrude this using a Waltons 7 lb sausage stuffer with the All Around Jerky Maker attached to it. This comes with a few different types of attachments, for this I am going to use the 2 slot die. As I extrude it the paper which sits underneath the Jerky Maker is going to move down the ramp with it. Now I am just going to keep extruding until I have everything in strips.

Note

Smoked Meat Stabilizer should not be used with water, so we did not add any. It will start to gas out almost immediately and this can be very dangerous to breath.

Thermal Processing & Smoking for Home Smoking

Stage 1 - 130° F 1 Hour with Dampers Wide Open
    Stage 2 - 145° F 2 Hours W/ Dampers 2/3rds Closed
    Stage 3 - 175° F Until Internal Temp Reaches 160°

Thermal Processing & Smoking for Advanced Smokehouses

Stage 1 - 110° F 10 minutes Relative Humidity (RH) 68
    Stage 2 - 130° F 20 Minutes RH 20
    Stage 3 - 135° F 90 Minutes RH 30
    Stage 4 - 155° F 60 Minutes RH 30
    Stage 5 - 155° F 90 Minutes RH 0
    Stage 6 - 180° F Until internal temp is 160° RH 0

Cooling

There is no need to put jerky in an ice bath as it is so dry and thin that it will stop the cooking process quickly enough by itself. It is important to let the jerky sit out at room temperature for about an hour before vac packing to prevent condensation from forming inside the package.

Wrap up

We started out with 15 lb of meat and ended with 8 lb of jerky so that is just about 50% loss so we are right where we would expect to be with the ability to control humidity in our smoker. The All Around Jerky Maker really made this entire process much easier than trying to do this with a Jerky Gun though that will certainly work as well, it will just take longer. The flavor of the Dill Pickle Seasoning is awesome, if you like Dill Pickles, that seems obvious but this does have a strong dill flavor!

Additional Tips

• Do not add water if you are using Smoked Meat Stabilizer
    • If you do not use Smoked Meat Stabilizer you will want to hold your product overnight to allow the cure to work in the meat

Other Notes

Just to make sure that I put this in here as many times as possible, if you are using the Smoked Meat Stabilizer (which I did) do not add water to your product or it will gas out and create a gas cloud. You don’t need to be scared of this product just be careful with it.

Watch WaltonsTV: Ground and Formed Jerky

Shop waltonsinc.com for Walton’s Sausage Stuffers

Shop waltonsinc.com for All Around Jerky Maker

Shop waltonsinc.com for Jerky Seasonings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Smokers and Smokehouses

Active Users

Recent Posts

• C

As I. push the carriage forward the slices get bigger and bigger even if I push only the carriage.

read more
  • Squid and Octopus Weekly Blog Post - Octopus and Squid, Vacuum Packing

Find out what's going on at Walton's and Meatgistics this week. We will have a loose schedule for soon to be released videos, what we are working on long-term and maybe a few quick tips and tricks that are on our mind!

What Videos are being released soon?

Depending on what you see as soon we will have the almost complete first round of Meatgistics University Classes released. We have broken everything down into these categories; Meat Processing Equipment, Seasoning and Additives, Fresh Sausage, Cured Sausage, Jerky, Sausage Casings, Deli Meats, Smoked Meats, Cured Whole Muscle Meats, and Specialty Sausages. Each of these topics will have multiple entry-level classes covering topics like the type of casing to use, equipment needed and a basic processing class where appropriate.

What Projects are we looking ahead at?

We are going to be doing two new Will it BBQ’s, hopefully, this week where we try BBQ’ing Squid and Octopus! The squid was a suggestion by Bob Zambutto through Walton’s Inc Facebook account! I had been wanting to do both of these for a while and when I went to our local Asian Grocery Store (Tai Binh for anyone local to Wichita, KS) and they had lots of options for both, they have almost anything and I got a few more weird ideas while I was there! Anyway, I picked up some baby octopus and a full size one, some small squid and two large ones as well. I am excited and nervous to see how this goes if nothing else it should be fun to watch!

What’s on our Mind?

Did you know that you shouldn’t vacuum pack Mushrooms or Garlic? I was reading a Vacmaster VP120 instruction manual the other day and I saw an interesting note that said not to vacuum pack Garlic or Mushrooms! I had no idea that you shouldn’t do this so I thought I would share that with meatgistics readers to let you know not to do it as well. Apparently, they both are prone to bacteria that will continue to grow in oxygen-free environments. I was hoping it was something more impressive than that but it is good information to have.

New Products

22" X 24" Collagen Sheets This are typically used for larger whole muscle cuts of meat, like when you are making prosciutto, capocollo, or other dried hams. This is an item that we have had lots of requests for over the years so we were happy to finally find a reliable and reputable source for it.

read more
  • M

@jonathon
    Thanks for the response!

I think a video on processed celery would be incredible. The only place I have been able to find celery powder as a cure was from “The Sausage Maker”, they have a Facebook page. It was expensive, designed only for sausages, and wasn’t packaged well.

As for the tackiness, good idea with the cornstarch! There are a bunch of big brands with zero additives that were able to achieve the soft texture with no tackiness, so I’m thinking it has to be in the processing. I read an article where someone at KRAVE mentioned a couple details about how they process their jerky. He said they first inject the meat, then cook the whole pieces, then slice, then marinate, then dry. I have messed around with the idea behind this process a lot. Injecting with brine, sous-viding at a variety of temperatures and times, slicing, marinating, and drying. Decent results, but to be honest the high sugar method you introduced to me has seemed to have better results.

Anyway, I will keep trying to figure this out and will definitely keep you guys posted if I make any headway. In the meantime, if there is anything else you think might be worth testing, please let me know! It would be great to try and perfect this process together.

Max

read more
  • D

@bob-s-meatgistics I moved one of my first pork butts into the oven and my whole house smelled like smoke. My wife did not stop complaining for a week until the smell was gone from both the house and the oven. I finish all my cooks outside. If you wrap it to speed up the cook you may want to unwrap it for the last hour to put the bark back on it.

read more
  • P

@jonathon I am definitely going to purchase and follow the steps you’ve post, thank you sir! Additionally, if anyone has recipes, please share. I’ll try them all and post what my family thought of each. Thank you all, this is a very cool and educational blog, glad I found it wish it was years ago! Thanks again.

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.