Beef Tounge

• Any one have a beef tounge recipe to share?

• Walton's Employee

@Denny There is a guy here who does Lingua occasionally but he is at the AAMP (Association of American Meat Processors) Convention right now. I sent him an email so hopefully he has some time to give me his recipe because it was very tender. If not now then he will be back Monday.

• @denny I have a recipe for tongue with rice and gravy. Slice the tongue into thick slices about an inch to an inch and a half. Make small incisions in each piece and put a piece of garlic. Season with salt, red pepper and cayenne pepper. In a cast iron pot put a small amount of cooking oil. Brown the tongue on a medium heat stirring often. Occasionally add a little water. Just enough to stop it from sticking. After the meat is browned we’ll remove the tongue and add a couple of large onions. Brown them down will well and add tongue back. Cover the tongue with water and cover. And cook over a Med to high heat. Cook till tinder. You may have to add a few times. Once it’s tender cook it down till the gravy is thick. Serve gravy over white rice. This is how we Cajuns so it. Hope you enjoy.

• Walton's Employee

@Denny

Here is the recipe our guy uses here for his. I have had it and it is pretty excellent!

1 small beef tongue
    Peppercorns
    Bay leaf (or other herbs)
    Onion and garlic powder
    Onions and garlic cloves
    Soak in cold water for 1-2 hours change water occasionally
    Rinse and wash under cold water
    Add the tongue to pot of water and cover the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    Keep the tongue completely submerged. You may need to add more water
    The tongue is ready when it turns white and a knife easily pierces the thickest part. This typically takes about 50–60 minutes per pound
    Transfer the tongue onto a plate with a pair of tongs. Wait until the tongue is just cool enough to touch, then cut through the outer white layer lengthwise with a sharp knife. Peel off this layer with your fingers, cutting when necessary.
    Shred the beef with fork and put in crock pot with bbq sauce,

• That sounds like a winner I will have to try it.

Recent Posts

• T

How do you know how much sure cure to put on your mix if it’s less than 25 lb ?

read more
  • @peculiarb You can have an issue with pickled jalapenos and getting the meat to properly bind to them.
    You can blanch fruits and veggies before adding them to sausage and that will help. Some people add them straight in, but blanching will help the meat bind together with the jalapenos. Not a requirement though. If the jalapenos don’t bind perfectly into the meat, when you slice the summer sausage, the jalapenos may not fully stick to the meat and just fall off the slices. It won’t hurt the sausage, but it may not be 100% perfect. I would at least dry the jalapenos thoroughly, but blanching would provide the best results.

read more
  • P

Has anyone ever used pickled jalapeños in their summer sausage? I have a buddy who gave me a jar of picked jalapeños to add to his summer sausage I am going to make for him. Is this a bad idea? I’ve always used dried jalapeños in the past. Please advise! Thanks.

read more
  • W

@mikesmeats,

I have only made about three batches of snack sticks so far but, I have found that adding an extra ounce of water ( per 5lb batch) over what is called for in the recipe, makes the meat “flow just a little easier when stuffing into casings.

So far, the texture of the finished product has been great and I have had no problem with casings breaking etc. from the excess moisture.

read more
  • A

I recently had a 26 lb batch of summer sausage end up with brown spots here and there? Could this be from cure not evenly mixed ??? Or from encapsulated citric acid not fully mixed in??? I’m thinking eca wasn’t mixed in good enough because cure was put in initially with spices and binder and I mixed by hand till I got good protein extraction because it was very sticky ???0_1544920450978_26672209-28F6-4E2D-8CB7-BA2CE5A73BAF.jpeg

read more
  • M

I am going to be making a 10 pound batch of pepper stick snack sticks how much water do I add for easier stuffing. or is the water that I mix the sure gel in enough for the batch is there a ratio for sure jell to water?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.