Beef Tounge

• Any one have a beef tounge recipe to share?

• Walton's Employee

@Denny There is a guy here who does Lingua occasionally but he is at the AAMP (Association of American Meat Processors) Convention right now. I sent him an email so hopefully he has some time to give me his recipe because it was very tender. If not now then he will be back Monday.

• @denny I have a recipe for tongue with rice and gravy. Slice the tongue into thick slices about an inch to an inch and a half. Make small incisions in each piece and put a piece of garlic. Season with salt, red pepper and cayenne pepper. In a cast iron pot put a small amount of cooking oil. Brown the tongue on a medium heat stirring often. Occasionally add a little water. Just enough to stop it from sticking. After the meat is browned we’ll remove the tongue and add a couple of large onions. Brown them down will well and add tongue back. Cover the tongue with water and cover. And cook over a Med to high heat. Cook till tinder. You may have to add a few times. Once it’s tender cook it down till the gravy is thick. Serve gravy over white rice. This is how we Cajuns so it. Hope you enjoy.

• Walton's Employee

@Denny

Here is the recipe our guy uses here for his. I have had it and it is pretty excellent!

1 small beef tongue
    Peppercorns
    Bay leaf (or other herbs)
    Onion and garlic powder
    Onions and garlic cloves
    Soak in cold water for 1-2 hours change water occasionally
    Rinse and wash under cold water
    Add the tongue to pot of water and cover the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
    Keep the tongue completely submerged. You may need to add more water
    The tongue is ready when it turns white and a knife easily pierces the thickest part. This typically takes about 50–60 minutes per pound
    Transfer the tongue onto a plate with a pair of tongs. Wait until the tongue is just cool enough to touch, then cut through the outer white layer lengthwise with a sharp knife. Peel off this layer with your fingers, cutting when necessary.
    Shred the beef with fork and put in crock pot with bbq sauce,

• That sounds like a winner I will have to try it.

Recent Posts

• M

In the past while making summer sausage I have used ground beef 80/20 about 8 pounds and about 4 pounds mixed together… what mixture do you use for summer sausage

read more
  • @KSHusker First, yes they should be safe to eat. You cooked them to 160° which will kill anything harmful. Now, obviously use common sense and your senses, if it smells bad don’t eat it!

The first thing to know is if you used sure cure (or another version) or not? From the sounds of it, you did but I just want to make sure we are looking at all possibilities. Were the butts untrimmed? If they had a nice fat cap on them then you should have been okay, I still like to use a little more fat than that but you should have been in the realm. How did you mix it, was it by hand? If you mixed for 30 minutes in a meat mixer that is a long time to be mixing it (I don’t think this was your issue, just pointing it out). Starting at 200 is a little high but it also sounds like it came down to 180° pretty quickly but this would be my thought on why the casing stuck, cooking too high can cause this.

For the color, the only thing I can think of (if you used a cure) is that it looks pinker around the edges because you got a nice smoke ring around it? How deep does the nice pink color go and what type of casing did you use? With wild game, I always use some sort of cure accelerator, either Encapsulated Citric Acid, Smoked Meat Stabilizer or something, it helps burn the color more and then you can skip holding it overnight and go right from stuffing to the smokehouse.

Anyone else have thoughts?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.