Mixing Cure & Seasoning

• Hi Guys,
    Quick question? Why is it NOT recommended to mix your cure and seasoning until it’s ready to be used??

Because the Excalibur Jerky Seasoning comes in bags suited to use 25# of meat I wanted to break it down into smaller mixing batches, I know I don’t mix 25# of meat at a time, I usually cut it in half for 12.5# each. Anyway I’d really like to mix all the cure and seasoning once then break in down for smaller batches of meat for later use, also when I say later I only mean like 1-3 months.
    Thanks Gary T.

• Walton's Employee

@Gary-T Some spices and extractives can react with the cure and will render it ineffective when it is added to your meat so it will not cure the meat as it should. The USDA and FDA ruled on this. Now, since some spices affect it and some don’t there is no way to know if you would have this issue but it’s better to just be safe. If it were me, I would break the seasoning down into smaller batches, there are 6 teaspoons of cure in a 1 oz package so everytime you are doing a 5 lb batch i’d just add a little over a teaspoon of cure.

• @jonathon Thanks much Jonathan, well if that’s the case it’s a no brainer NOT to mix in the cure prematurely. I’d hate to waste a good batch Jerky cause the cure didn’t work. Thanks again for the great info.

Recent Posts

• D

@talleyho4 said in Sauerkraut:

Do you have a recipe to share?

Are you asking me?

read more
  • B

@yardapes11 @lamurscrappy @Jonathon @Austin
    1_1550947058460_CE56A3D4-AEC6-487D-8708-EBC6367A1DF9.jpeg 0_1550947058459_9E37575B-FEA0-45B9-9679-F227BF4765F0.jpeg summer sausage turned out great…did the hot water bath to finish

read more
  • L

@mcmillenbr Need some more details. 5 pound batch? How much water are you using? I have never had water run out.

read more
  • M

@austin
    I tried making snack sticks for the second time. This time I added citric acid for some tang. The mix never got sticky and when I stuffed the casing it was not smooth and the water seperated and ran out on the counter top. The meat was like little seperated lumps in the casings. After cooking, they tasted good, but the texture was like compressed saw dust.

read more
  • T

Do you have a recipe to share?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.