cold smoker?

• I have a smoke hollow propane smoker. I am wondering, if I disconnect the propane for safety, take out water pan, then set a 1000w electric hot plate on top of the propane burner, used smoker pellets in a stainless pan, would that make a cold smoker? This way I can have both types smokers.
    The propane set up won’t go lower then 250 degrees.
    Any input appreciated

• @ace202 I have a similar set up and this works fine, instead of a hotplate I use an Amazn tube for my cold smoking and it works well. I use this to primarily smoke cheese, chili peppers, salt, etc. good luck.

• thanks for the info. may go this route as about the same price. Now to just find one nearby

• @ace202 I’ve tried the same set up,with a hot plate you will need a certain temp to smoke the wood which will increase the temp of your ass more chamber, the amaze n smoker works very well for non heat generated smoke,they are a little pricey, I made one from some mesh and a tomato paste can

• Walton's Employee

@ace202 When I want to cold smoke something I generally use either an A-Maze-N Tube 12" or the Camerons Flip Professional Smoke Box in a smoker like the 30 Inch Weston or our PK-100. The PK-100 operates on a hot plate system and says it can do temps as low as 60 degrees but I still think it heats up the chamber too much. So I would recommend going with something like @tswohl6 has, it seems to work better and as an added benefit it is simpler.

The only thing you might want to factor in with something like the Flip Professional Smoke Box or the A-Mazen Tube is that will need either a blow torch, some Firestarters or some food safe lighting gel to get and keep everything burning.

• my recipe for Cactus Jacks Kabanosy, calls for 45 minutes at 120 degree, and half hour at 160 until meat reaches 145 internally.

So the a-maze-n smoker will get my smokhollow up to those temps ok? with just using the a-maze-n smoker for heat?

• Walton's Employee

@ace202 No, if you are needing to get to an internal temp of 145 you are not going to get there with cold smoking techniques. I apologize, because the title was cold smoker I just assumed you were needing to keep the internal temperatures of the product very low. I will tell you this, I don’t think 45 minutes at 120 degrees and then 30 minutes at 160 is going to get meat to an internal temp of 145. However it also says that you should leave it in until the internal temp has reached your goal so go with that.

To reach those temps with a propane smoke box a hot plate is the only way I can think to do it. The vertical smoker we carry that would handle those low temperatures is the PK-100 and that is a hot plate system.

• thanks
    so if I run the A-Maze-n 12" smoker AND a hot late, I should be abe to get those temps. Not wanting to break the bank

• Walton's Employee

@ace202 You could do both if you wanted but there is an easier (and less expensive) way. If you are going to run a hot plate then that becomes your heat and smoke source, simply get a Stainless Steel Smoking Pan or something like it, fill it with sawdust and then add enough water so all the sawdust is damp. The heat from the hot plate will cause the sawdust/fine woodchips to smolder and that will be your smoke source.

• I cold smoke all kinds of products to sell at the local farmer’s markets. Altho I use the Masterbuilt setup I’ve seen other people make their own with a 3" dryer vent hose.
    The only trick is to keep your smoke generating source away from your smoker unit as all smoke will contain some heat. The father away the better for your product. Also make sure you’re smoker unit isn’t parked in a sunny spot as this will also increase the temperature inside the unit itself. I have to use a sheet of plywood on the side of mine in the early mornings to keep the sun from hitting it.

0_1534264868535_Image19.jpg

• Walton's Employee

@carla-edwards Good setup, I like the glass insert to let you monitor without opening. Welcome to the board, always good to get some cold smoking expertise on here!

Recent Posts

• @KSHusker First, yes they should be safe to eat. You cooked them to 160° which will kill anything harmful. Now, obviously use common sense and your senses, if it smells bad don’t eat it!

The first thing to know is if you used sure cure (or another version) or not? From the sounds of it, you did but I just want to make sure we are looking at all possibilities. Were the butts untrimmed? If they had a nice fat cap on them then you should have been okay, I still like to use a little more fat than that but you should have been in the realm. How did you mix it, was it by hand? If you mixed for 30 minutes in a meat mixer that is a long time to be mixing it (I don’t think this was your issue, just pointing it out). Starting at 200 is a little high but it also sounds like it came down to 180° pretty quickly but this would be my thought on why the casing stuck, cooking too high can cause this.

For the color, the only thing I can think of (if you used a cure) is that it looks pinker around the edges because you got a nice smoke ring around it? How deep does the nice pink color go and what type of casing did you use? With wild game, I always use some sort of cure accelerator, either Encapsulated Citric Acid, Smoked Meat Stabilizer or something, it helps burn the color more and then you can skip holding it overnight and go right from stuffing to the smokehouse.

Anyone else have thoughts?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.