cold smoker?

• I have a smoke hollow propane smoker. I am wondering, if I disconnect the propane for safety, take out water pan, then set a 1000w electric hot plate on top of the propane burner, used smoker pellets in a stainless pan, would that make a cold smoker? This way I can have both types smokers.
    The propane set up won’t go lower then 250 degrees.
    Any input appreciated

• @ace202 I have a similar set up and this works fine, instead of a hotplate I use an Amazn tube for my cold smoking and it works well. I use this to primarily smoke cheese, chili peppers, salt, etc. good luck.

• thanks for the info. may go this route as about the same price. Now to just find one nearby

• @ace202 I’ve tried the same set up,with a hot plate you will need a certain temp to smoke the wood which will increase the temp of your ass more chamber, the amaze n smoker works very well for non heat generated smoke,they are a little pricey, I made one from some mesh and a tomato paste can

• Walton's Employee

@ace202 When I want to cold smoke something I generally use either an A-Maze-N Tube 12" or the Camerons Flip Professional Smoke Box in a smoker like the 30 Inch Weston or our PK-100. The PK-100 operates on a hot plate system and says it can do temps as low as 60 degrees but I still think it heats up the chamber too much. So I would recommend going with something like @tswohl6 has, it seems to work better and as an added benefit it is simpler.

The only thing you might want to factor in with something like the Flip Professional Smoke Box or the A-Mazen Tube is that will need either a blow torch, some Firestarters or some food safe lighting gel to get and keep everything burning.

• my recipe for Cactus Jacks Kabanosy, calls for 45 minutes at 120 degree, and half hour at 160 until meat reaches 145 internally.

So the a-maze-n smoker will get my smokhollow up to those temps ok? with just using the a-maze-n smoker for heat?

• Walton's Employee

@ace202 No, if you are needing to get to an internal temp of 145 you are not going to get there with cold smoking techniques. I apologize, because the title was cold smoker I just assumed you were needing to keep the internal temperatures of the product very low. I will tell you this, I don’t think 45 minutes at 120 degrees and then 30 minutes at 160 is going to get meat to an internal temp of 145. However it also says that you should leave it in until the internal temp has reached your goal so go with that.

To reach those temps with a propane smoke box a hot plate is the only way I can think to do it. The vertical smoker we carry that would handle those low temperatures is the PK-100 and that is a hot plate system.

• thanks
    so if I run the A-Maze-n 12" smoker AND a hot late, I should be abe to get those temps. Not wanting to break the bank

• Walton's Employee

@ace202 You could do both if you wanted but there is an easier (and less expensive) way. If you are going to run a hot plate then that becomes your heat and smoke source, simply get a Stainless Steel Smoking Pan or something like it, fill it with sawdust and then add enough water so all the sawdust is damp. The heat from the hot plate will cause the sawdust/fine woodchips to smolder and that will be your smoke source.

• I cold smoke all kinds of products to sell at the local farmer’s markets. Altho I use the Masterbuilt setup I’ve seen other people make their own with a 3" dryer vent hose.
    The only trick is to keep your smoke generating source away from your smoker unit as all smoke will contain some heat. The father away the better for your product. Also make sure you’re smoker unit isn’t parked in a sunny spot as this will also increase the temperature inside the unit itself. I have to use a sheet of plywood on the side of mine in the early mornings to keep the sun from hitting it.

0_1534264868535_Image19.jpg

• Walton's Employee

@carla-edwards Good setup, I like the glass insert to let you monitor without opening. Welcome to the board, always good to get some cold smoking expertise on here!

Recent Posts

• T

How do you know how much sure cure to put on your mix if it’s less than 25 lb ?

read more
  • @peculiarb You can have an issue with pickled jalapenos and getting the meat to properly bind to them.
    You can blanch fruits and veggies before adding them to sausage and that will help. Some people add them straight in, but blanching will help the meat bind together with the jalapenos. Not a requirement though. If the jalapenos don’t bind perfectly into the meat, when you slice the summer sausage, the jalapenos may not fully stick to the meat and just fall off the slices. It won’t hurt the sausage, but it may not be 100% perfect. I would at least dry the jalapenos thoroughly, but blanching would provide the best results.

read more
  • P

Has anyone ever used pickled jalapeños in their summer sausage? I have a buddy who gave me a jar of picked jalapeños to add to his summer sausage I am going to make for him. Is this a bad idea? I’ve always used dried jalapeños in the past. Please advise! Thanks.

read more
  • W

@mikesmeats,

I have only made about three batches of snack sticks so far but, I have found that adding an extra ounce of water ( per 5lb batch) over what is called for in the recipe, makes the meat “flow just a little easier when stuffing into casings.

So far, the texture of the finished product has been great and I have had no problem with casings breaking etc. from the excess moisture.

read more
  • A

I recently had a 26 lb batch of summer sausage end up with brown spots here and there? Could this be from cure not evenly mixed ??? Or from encapsulated citric acid not fully mixed in??? I’m thinking eca wasn’t mixed in good enough because cure was put in initially with spices and binder and I mixed by hand till I got good protein extraction because it was very sticky ???0_1544920450978_26672209-28F6-4E2D-8CB7-BA2CE5A73BAF.jpeg

read more
  • M

I am going to be making a 10 pound batch of pepper stick snack sticks how much water do I add for easier stuffing. or is the water that I mix the sure gel in enough for the batch is there a ratio for sure jell to water?

read more

Recent Topics

Popular Topics

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to Waltons Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.