Bone Marrow Update

• Update on bone marrow mixed with burger. I did a small 2 lb. burger grind to test the taste . I used 3 bones about 3 diameter x 2 inches thick. I used a thin boning knife cut around the inside the bone and the marrow pushed right out… I weighed the marrow and I had 4.6 ounces. That equaled a heaping hand full. It at this stage was about like course lumpy cheese. I then chopped on a cutting board and mixed into my 2lb. of ground chuck that I just ground. It adds a amazing juicy to the hamburger. A kind of buttery / mild nutty flavor. I will defiantly will do again. so the ratio would be 2 to 2.3 ounces per lb. of ground burger.

• Walton's Employee

@Denny I FINALLY remembered to pick some up this weekend and I got a bunch so I am going to do a few different things with it. Right now my plan is burgers, pretty much how you did them and then do them in our smoker/grill combo until they are soft and use it as a spread on bread. Hopefully I will have this shot (and eaten) today and a video in the next few days!

• Jonathon
    I must say your method sounds interesting. I look forward to your results. I did try running some marrow through the grinder. Bad choice as it just kind of whipped the marrow. Chopping on a cutting board is much better.

• Walton's Employee

@Denny Thanks for the advice, I did the spread for the bread yesterday, it was delicious, better than any butter I’ve ever used. I fully plan on making some more and then reverse searing a steak and using that as the butter when I sear it at the end, anyone who hasn’t tried reverse searing a steak check out this post and video https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/238/how-to-reverse-sear-a-steak

I am going to do the burgers today and I’ll make sure I just chop them instead of grinding it, thanks for the heads up!

• Walton's Employee

@denny okay, so I did it (video coming out soon) and I did it at lower quantities than that. I did find the highest amount we added, which was 1.1 oz per lb, was my favorite. My issue was I was already using 73/27 beef so I wanted to not add as much of fat. I am going to try to buy some brisket and some more bone marrow and try it with that.

• Jonathon
    I look forward to your video.

• I just watched the video of Bone Marrow Burgers, first let me say thanks for the research and follow up on this as I’ve been so interested.
    The recipe in the video looks and sound super will try and can’t wait!

Active Users

Recent Posts

• N

Is there any current coupons? Thanks

read more
  • P

@cayenneman That is more like smoking pork butts or brisket. I did a whole wild turkey at 225F and since there is so little fat on them to start with I used it to make a turkey noodle soup and that little bit of extra smoke on the turkey is a game changer! I used the bones to make the stock and it also had a little smokeyness to it, delicious. Don’t be afraid to run the smoker up 225-250F. Just make sure get it warm and dry before putting the smoke to it so it will stick better.

read more
  • @rhjbarney That is the second time in recent weeks I have heard sausage referred to as Cigars, I like it and I am sure I can come up with a clever (for me at least) social media post about it. Also, I use a lot of the pictures our users post here on Walton’s Instagram, Facebook and twitter accounts and also Meratgistics Face Book accounts. Consider this my shameless plug to follow our social media accounts.

read more

Recent Topics

Users

Topics