Bacon Jerky

• Walton's Employee

Making Bacon Jerky

Learn about Making Bacon Jerky with Walton's and Meatgistics. Watch the video, read the guide, and then post your questions or comments below."

Recipe

We started off with bacon that had already been cured and cooked until the internal temperature was 132°, pretty much the same bacon you would buy at the store just better since we made it. Since it has already been cured we did not need to limit ourselves to a jerky seasoning so I decided to try some with our Signature Pork Rub, Smokehouse Wing Shake, Salt & Vinegar Wing Shake and the St Louis Rump Rub. I sprinkled a good amount of this on one side of the bacon and then cooked at 200° for 1 hour, then I flipped it over and sprinkled the seasonings on the other side and cooked at 200° for another hour.

After they have cooked I took them out and put them in the Weston 6 Tray Digital Dehydrators. This is a nice easy dehydrator to use and I especially like that it will let you run it at 160°. I set the timer for 6 hours and let it run, flipping it at the 3 hour point.

Now, since bacon has so much fat it is going to be difficult to judge when the best time to pull it out of the dehydrator is. The fat will still have some oil well after it has hit a water activity that would make it perfectly safe to eat. Ours had a water activity of .38 which is well below the required amount for shelf stability.

Taste

The best tasting Bacon Jerky was Signature Pork Rub, this is a favorite seasoning of a few Walton’s employees and since it is designed to be used with Pork it should not be a huge surprise that it worked well for Bacon Jerky. Next was the Smokehouse Wing Shake which had a nice sweetness to it and added a little smoky flavor. The Salt & Vinegar was good but I was hoping for more of a vinegar taste to it, which sounds weird when talking about jerky and last was the St Louis Rum Rub, the taste just didn’t come through and it was the blandest of them all.

Subscribe to WaltonsTV

Make sure you subscribe to WaltonsTV and remember to tap the bell next to the subscribed button to get notified about all new videos, plus like and comment on this video, and visit waltonsinc.com and meatgistics.com to find Everything But The Meat!

Subscribe to Meatgistics

Easily subscribe to any category or topic on the Meatgistics community site by clicking the green “Subscribe” button to get an email each time a new post is made!

Shop waltonsinc.com for Garlic Romano Chicken Wings

Shop waltonsinc.com for Sous Vide Immersion Circulator

Subscribe to WaltonsTV on YouTube

Broil King Grills

Imperial 590 Grill

Walton's Sausage Stuffer

33 lb Walton's Sausage Stuffer

• Qusetion- I cure my own bacon but do not have a cold smoker. Could one hot smoke the bacon as a slab (instead of oven baking) and then slice and dehydrate? I’m just thinking smoked with a rub would make great jerky.

• Walton's Employee

@artlife Yes, you could absolutely do it that way, check out https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/800/cured-whole-muscle-meat-104-bacon-basics for a process (which it sounds like you already have down) and a smoke schedule for your slab. Once you have that all you need to do is slice it and start dehydrating it and you are good to go!

• @jonathon thanks so much!!! I like my homemade bacon although it’s a tad salty, so I may also try your injection cure method. We are all carnivores here #meatheals and we love our meats! so glad I found your website!

Recent Posts

• @Joe-Hell
    It is good.
    We like to serve a chub on a small bed of rice next to 4-5 bang bang shrimp.

Everyone loves it.

read more
  • T

Hi All, Im New to the Group, I am wondering which class of NTEP scale is necessary for measuring sure cure per haccp protocol. It looks like these scales are rated as I,II,III class and very in price dramatically

read more
  • C

@Joe-Hell
    thanks for the info, I had not heard of this until 3 years ago and I think the reason it was brined was to cure or preserve it while
    frozen. A friend of a friend makes these after hunting season so they can be taken out of the freezer and sliced up for snacks and they are fantastic but he wont share the recipe. When they are unthawed even after many months they are still perfect.
    Have you tried freezing any portion and is it still as good when first made?

read more

Recent Topics

Who's Online [Full List]

12 users active right now (0 members and 12 guests).
Joe Hell

Board Statistics

Our members have made a total of 5.0k posts in 1.1k topics.
We currently have 4.7k members registered.
Please welcome our newest member, dosmondson.
The most users online at one time was 119 on Wed Apr 10 2019.

Community Statistics

Users

Topics

About Meatgistics

Meatgistics is brought to you by Walton's (waltonsinc.com). Meatgistics is a community site, knowledgebase, forum, blog, learning center, and a sharing site. You can find help and ask questions about anything related to meat processing, smoking and grilling meats, plus a whole lot more. Join Austin & Jon from Walton's and sign up for our Meatgistics community today.